Megabook Shopping

jayenram

Today, I attempted to order two books from "Megabook Shopping" online.

Megabook Shopping will not accept either my Kasikorn Visa Electron debit card or my Kasikorn Bank K-Web Shopping Card. Is there any point to their advertisements in Thailand?

If the cards you want to use are debit cards then maybe that could be the problem.

What cards do they accept; Visa, Mastercard, American Express? If they accept those then they probably don't think they are missing out on too many customers.

Given that the books are mostly in English, their customer base would appear to be farangs. It is not easy for farangs living in Thailand to obtain credit cards from Thai banks. American Express is an option but I recently returned mine when they doubled the yearly subscription fee (Bht 2,000 to 4,000) plus very few establishments in rural Thailand accept Amex and when they do, they add a surcharge of 3 - 5%.

It’s possible they rejected the cards due to a Thailand IP address. There seems to be a list of countries, possibly due to past fraud problems, that payment companies refuse.

Friends trying to use UK credit cards to make UK online purchases from Middle Eastern countries sometime run into this problem as well.

You're a supermod so get George to cancel their advert unless they sell you the books you want. :o however not all readers of this website live in Thailand.

You're better off without a Thai credit card. Low limits and questionable security reflected in rejection by some overseas companies when trying to pay online is one reason why I continue to keep all my overseas cards active. Helps me sleep better at nights knowing if someone uses my card then I won't be expected to pay for things i never signed for.

".... one reason why I continue to keep all my overseas cards active."

The overseas credit cards that I once had (Visa and Mastercard) refused to send my new cards to a Thai address. I know I could have had them sent to a relative in UK but by that time I had virtually no assets in UK so settling the bills would have been awkward.

You're a supermod so get George to cancel their advert unless they sell you the books you want. :o however not all readers of this website live in Thailand.

You're better off without a Thai credit card. Low limits and questionable security reflected in rejection by some overseas companies when trying to pay online is one reason why I continue to keep all my overseas cards active. Helps me sleep better at nights knowing if someone uses my card then I won't be expected to pay for things i never signed for.

I find their selection of books very disappointing though it might appeal to those who want to purchase mainstream or bestsellers, and save a few Baht over Asia Book prices.There's a curiously lowbrow and unintelligent feel to the site and I suspect is mainly catering to to the less culturally aware Pattaya crowd (or its equivalent in Bangkok, Koh samui, Phuket etc or some goddawful Isarn village).

I agree with that..... hard to believe that this business is actually run by such an experienced person, the guy who founded Bookazine very long time ago.....

but, to be fair..... this business is still quite new , so maybe they are still kinda "experimenting". lets hope some improvement will be seen soon....