Marriage Or Not ?

MrPaddy

Depends on how long you been with her, been with her 2 weeks on holidays in Thailand? well dont do it.

I was with my wife for 6 years before we got married and i know everything about her.

I still cant figure out why guys get married within a year

No, not possible as still a pup at mid forties.

As nobody knows anything about the link I posted, I would suggest it is very misleading and should be removed.

Several moderator posts I have read in regards to people posting inaccurate information with no proof to it, but this site seems to have wrong info, or info that nobody can say where it officialy comes from.

I was with my wife for 6 years before we got married and i know everything about her.

I still cant figure out why guys get married within a year

Yep, same for me. Perhaps I waited an overly long time, but in truth it took that long for us to fully understand each other and determine whether we are compatible as lifelong partners. Differences in culture and language are huge obstacles.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Re wrong info: I hear a lot of people talking about having their vehicle in a Thai person's name, and one post here stated that you cannot own a car. I want to say that I have owned a car and motorbike, in my own name, and never any other way, since I first arrived, with no tea money, or connections, or anything.

I think many people are misinformed, because Thai people want YOUR things in THEIR names.

But, back to the OP, I understand him, and have had many concerns myself on this issue, and just generally feel "ripped off" by the responsiblity we have imposed upon us as a spouse, but without really any benefits or way to control what is going on. For example, we are legally responsible for credit our spouse gets in debt with. Now, we cannot ourselves get credit, okay, fine, I see the reason for this, but I also see that it is easy for my partner to get credit, already has it, to charge up a storm, to have the bills sent to parent's house, (I can't read a dam_n thing anyway), and 5 years from now when we are 1 million baht in debt that I never knew about, did not benefit from, I have to pay it.

Well, that is pretty much the same thing in Western countries, EXCEPT that we can both get credit, can both damage each other, can both read the language, one of us is not usually a TARGET of such mishaps, whole villages will not usually conspire against only one of us to lie for our partner, etc.

Our partner does not already have a home in their name only. Our partner is the only person with a job (because we legally are not allowed to work but legally have to pay), and only spends the money on their family, or saves it somehow, or pays off old debts, but somehow this money never benefits us. Both people are not contributing to both people in many situations, not all, I know.

In my case, my partner is paying off real estate all the time, to the tune of 60,000 baht a month, plus old credit card debt, plus already has land paid off, has rental property, but has very little "free money" year after year. I would hate to see, after they have 10 million of real estate paid off, they are gone, I am stuck with paying half the credit card debt or all of it, they continue to have a good job/business making money, and I paid for everything while they banked thousands year after year. On the other hand, if this is all paid off, and we stay together, it will benefit, probably somebody, probably not me. We are in the process of adopting a kid, so maybe the kid?

Can you see my point? Just by marrying someone who is finacially not very responsible, and I think many farangs would say that Thai people and farangs don't see money issues very much the same way ...they are more into ...spend it all today because you might be dead tomorrow, type of thinking, when we have saved and planned so that we have the money to come to Thailand and live for the next 30 years without a job, you could have a big problem. And this would not have to be because you married a con-artist hooker from hel_l. This could happen the same way it could happen in the west, because you married a gambling addict or something. Or you married someone who had a lot of debts and problems who is pretending, or actually is reforming, only 10 years will tell, and by that time it will be too late!

It would be nice (for those of us who are not in need of any credit) if thai people who married us, could also NOT GET CREDIT, unless we somehow at least approved it, like signed for it!

I have taken every appropriate protection that the law offers here, the problem is, the law doesn't offer very dam_n much. It really only offers farangs more opportunities to pay, pay and pay. And you know what, after that!

• 1 month later...

You do not mention your age. If you are at least 50 years old you can get annual extensions for living with your Thai child. If you are younger you can get multiple-entry non-O visas at Thai consulates to visit your Thai child.

--

Maestro

Not sure if the OP will see this or not, but in regards to his question about grandfathering, some of the categories have grandfathering, but it does not look like they have a grandfathering clause for unmarried people under 50 years old with Thai children.

Can you see my point? Just by marrying someone who is finacially not very responsible, and I think many farangs would say that Thai people and farangs don't see money issues very much the same way ...they are more into ...spend it all today because you might be dead tomorrow, type of thinking, when we have saved and planned so that we have the money to come to Thailand and live for the next 30 years without a job, you could have a big problem. And this would not have to be because you married a con-artist hooker from hel_l. This could happen the same way it could happen in the west, because you married a gambling addict or something. Or you married someone who had a lot of debts and problems who is pretending, or actually is reforming, only 10 years will tell, and by that time it will be too late!

It would be nice (for those of us who are not in need of any credit) if thai people who married us, could also NOT GET CREDIT, unless we somehow at least approved it, like signed for it!

I have taken every appropriate protection that the law offers here, the problem is, the law doesn't offer very dam_n much. It really only offers farangs more opportunities to pay, pay and pay. And you know what, after that!

Thais are not very different than U.S. citizens when it comes to debt. Most are in debt past their ears. They live well beyond their means and use credit as if it were free money. You are comparing yourself to Thais in general and coming to conclusion Thais are financially stupid. Make the same comparison with Americans and you would come to the same conclusion. The fact that you have saved over 30 years makes you an anomaly in the U.S. where 60% of the population that is over 45 has less than $100,000 saved for retirement. Most of that 60% has much less.

If you had married a poor American in lieu of a Thai, you would face the same challenges. She would be free to rack up debt and there is very little you could do about it.

Edited by siamamerican

I believe you can obtain a yearly extension to your visa under the support of your child even though you are not married.

Move this topic to the visa sub-forum and you will get your answer very quickly.

You certainly do not need to marry simply to remain in Thailand. There are many options including even 30 day visa runs plus tourist visas.

I was led to believe that if you are named on the birth certificate, you are entitled to a yearly visa. I was told this by someone in this position who is the father of a child but not married to the child's mother. Check it out.

I lived with my Thai wife for about a year and a half before I asked her to marry me. One major reason was because I wanted her to have a big face when we moved to her village. Actually being legally married here causes more problems than not. Buying land for instance requires me to go with her to the land office to sign papers saying that I have no financial interest in the land. I have kept my retirement visa so there is no advantage there. The only real advantage I can see is the ability to file a joint income tax return in my home country and it seemed to be the right thing to do with no other reasons considered.

I am very keen to know if anyone knows how this statement http://www.thaivisa.com/extensions/grandfather-clause.html relates in reality and if it is just another piece of fiction and if it is fact, where is this fact to be found for referance in any Thai immigration website or bible.

I extend my Non O based on marriage annually taking advantage of this "grandfather" clause but I don't see how it could be an advantage for the OP.

One advantage of being married for the wife could be entitlement to pension benefits from the husband's homeland following the death of the husband.

My wife wouldn't take me to her village to meet her family until we were married, whereas I wouldn't marry her until she had met my family and was able to make a judgement.

Eric 1949

I just love it when people makie sweeping statements that are totally inaccurate.

You say " you will never own land or a house legally", What utter rubbish, it is legal and lawful for a foreigner to own a house in Thailand in his/her name. A different matter with the land however.

The original poster requested information and what was your reply a great big NO.

All in all anything you wrote was a total waste of space. Grab a brain.

Lioness, you're a right ar$ehole.

The reply of a big 'no' which Eric1949 made, is in direct response to the post "Marriage or not"

Also as a foreigener, you cannot own a house or land legally in your own name. Many people form a company to do this, it is then in a company name not yours.

Eric1949 made many valid points.

In fact Lioness you're a right 'see you next Tuesday' as well as a ar$ehole