Living On Us$1000 Per Month

Gary74

The OP asked if it was possible to live on US $1000 a month, and many of the members who responded said it would be a problem.

What would the trick be to live on $550 when many of us can't live on $1000?

I can easily afford well over $2000 USD/month in CM, if I chose to spend it. I fit into the above description of "simple life alone". I also do an annual physical checkup and go to the dentist upto 3 times a year which certainly cost more than 6000 baht. I just returned from Cambodia and Vietnam spending for 40 days traveling. Since December, my living expenses in CM has averaged well under $500 USD/month so OP, $1000 for a single person has got to be a breeze.

To keep things clear, my figure doesn't include my monthly USA health insurance or my USA annual taxes.

I think you may have overlooked many of us who said otherwise.

My lifestyle hasn't changed that much from the USA (my choice) but costs me only a quarter of what I would have spent in Tucson, AZ. Yes, I use a bicycle rather than a motorbike to get around and without polluting the air. When I lived in Tucson and NYC, I used my bicycle for my day to day transportation as well, even though I had a car. I tend to eat more vegetarian and also prepare about 6 to 8 simple and delicious meals a week so I spend $3/day or less on food. If I begin to have a hankering for farang food, (only been here less than 1 1/2 years), I'll just cook it at home as I did back in the USA. I enjoy a good beer once in a while but don't need it. I do massage and yoga classes, each, at least twice a week. I have unsubsidized US based health insurance and admit that I still don't have a Thai GF yet ,but still pay less than $700/month. If having Thai GF will cost me more than an additional $500/month then I'll tatoo "Noi" on my right hand. :o

Like anyplace on this beautiful planet, it depends on your lifestyle.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP asked if it was possible to live on US $1000 a month, and many of the members who responded said it would be a problem.

What would the trick be to live on $550 when many of us can't live on $1000?

I can easily afford well over $2000 USD/month in CM, if I chose to spend it. I fit into the above description of "simple life alone". I also do an annual physical checkup and go to the dentist upto 3 times a year which certainly cost more than 6000 baht. I just returned from Cambodia and Vietnam spending for 40 days traveling. Since December, my living expenses in CM has averaged well under $500 USD/month so OP, $1000 for a single person has got to be a breeze.

To keep things clear, my figure doesn't include my monthly USA health insurance or my USA annual taxes.

I think you may have overlooked many of us who said otherwise.

My lifestyle hasn't changed that much from the USA (my choice) but costs me only a quarter of what I would have spent in Tucson, AZ. Yes, I use a bicycle rather than a motorbike to get around and without polluting the air. When I lived in Tucson and NYC, I used my bicycle for my day to day transportation as well, even though I had a car. I tend to eat more vegetarian and also prepare about 6 to 8 simple and delicious meals a week so I spend $3/day or less on food. If I begin to have a hankering for farang food, (only been here less than 1 1/2 years), I'll just cook it at home as I did back in the USA. I enjoy a good beer once in a while but don't need it. I do massage and yoga classes, each, at least twice a week. I have unsubsidized US based health insurance and admit that I still don't have a Thai GF yet ,but still pay less than $700/month. If having Thai GF will cost me more than an additional $500/month then I'll tatoo "Noi" on my right hand. :D

Like anyplace on this beautiful planet, it depends on your lifestyle.

Yep, another "Zonie" as they call us in San Diego!

:o

US$1,000/month - Poor lifestyle

US$2,000/month - Basic lifestyle

US$3,000/month - Reasonable lifestyle

US$4,000/month - Comfortable lifestyle

This is based on my opinion and the lifestyle that I prefer to live. I do not go cheap.

Very realistic opinion it is too.

Before my 3 rugrats came along anyway. :o

That is not "going native" either.

That's what camping trips are for.

If you're living a single life, $1000 is just about possible if you still want to be able to afford to go out and enjoy life occasionally. $550 and i can't imagine you'd be having much fun. No point living life like that if you have an alternative.

Edited by John_Rambo

The OP asked if $1,000 is enough based on a few simple assumptions that he presented us with:

no dependents

good health

enjoy simple things in life

Based on that, several readers have replied that it's entirely possible.

Add me to that list, with one caveat. I could easily live in CM for $1,000/month if I never left.

My trips back to the US and the rest of my travel around the world adds to that figure.

My wife and I are currently living in a 4 bedroom house in CM and we still don't spend much over $1,000 a month while we're here. We do spend about $45,000 - $50,000 a year (what has been described as a "comfortable" lifestyle) but that includes maintaining homes year round in both CM and the USA. That includes our travel expenses, medical insurance and taxes too.

Everyone has a right to spend more if they'd like, but to say "it can't be done" is ridiculous.

Gary, with the extra income you'll have in the future and the $600,000 cushionyou have now, you'll do just fine. Don't wait until you're too old too enjoy life here.

Not to hijack the thread, but I am in a similar situation as the OP at 40 y.o. I have been contemplating the move over for several years. If I was to liquidate now, I would have about $600,000 in principle to generate income. Social security is so far out I don't even expect to get it even though I now have the credits to qualify at 62 y.o. Just don't feel like paying into a system that will never pay out. Kinda like paying an insurance company that has no intent to honor the policy. So I don't factor it into the equation at all.

I have based income conservatively at 4.5% return and a decline of the dollar to 25 over the next five years and flatten out from there. Even so, working each additional year in the US at my current savings rate and return only increases my potential monthly income by about 2800BHT/mo.

BUT the extra principle and the cushion is provides if things go pear shaped in LOS is the biggie. Giving up the earning potential of the West is the major financial hit one takes to pack it in. Unless or course you are one of the lucky ones that can replicate top-line earnings, not just investment income in LOS. So, I for one, really don't see myself giving up a career just yet. At least not until there is an even $1,000,000 ready to go to work. But then again, I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Play now and takes your chances, or play later and maybe never get the chance? Decisions, decisions.

Or continue to earn at home and play in LOS a few times/year until it all gets old anyway and you find someplace better? Maybe the best option of all.

The OP asked if $1,000 is enough based on a few simple assumptions that he presented us with:

no dependents

good health

Add me to that list, with one caveat. I could easily live in CM for $1,000/month if I never left.

My trips back to the US and the rest of my travel around the world adds to that figure.

My wife and I are currently living in a 4 bedroom house in CM and we still don't spend much over $1,000 a month while we're here. We do spend about $45,000 - $50,000 a year (what has been described as a "comfortable" lifestyle) but that includes maintaining homes year round in both CM and the USA. That includes our travel expenses, medical insurance and taxes too.

Everyone has a right to spend more if they'd like, but to say "it can't be done" is ridiculous.

Gary, with the extra income you'll have in the future and the $600,000 cushionyou have now, you'll do just fine. Don't wait until you're too old too enjoy life here.

i second that!

Not to hijack the thread, but I am in a similar situation as the OP at 40 y.o. I have been contemplating the move over for several years. If I was to liquidate now, I would have about $600,000 in principle to generate income. Social security is so far out I don't even expect to get it even though I now have the credits to qualify at 62 y.o. Just don't feel like paying into a system that will never pay out. Kinda like paying an insurance company that has no intent to honor the policy. So I don't factor it into the equation at all.

I have based income conservatively at 4.5% return and a decline of the dollar to 25 over the next five years and flatten out from there. Even so, working each additional year in the US at my current savings rate and return only increases my potential monthly income by about 2800BHT/mo.

BUT the extra principle and the cushion is provides if things go pear shaped in LOS is the biggie. Giving up the earning potential of the West is the major financial hit one takes to pack it in. Unless or course you are one of the lucky ones that can replicate top-line earnings, not just investment income in LOS. So, I for one, really don't see myself giving up a career just yet. At least not until there is an even $1,000,000 ready to go to work. But then again, I could get hit by a bus tomorrow. Play now and takes your chances, or play later and maybe never get the chance? Decisions, decisions.

Or continue to earn at home and play in LOS a few times/year until it all gets old anyway and you find someplace better? Maybe the best option of all.

No thread hijack at all, your comments are germane to the topic. You have obviously run the numbers and all the what-if scenarios.

I would say you're right- at age 40, even though it will not appreciably increase your average monthly income, it might be a bit early to make the move.

If you're happy doing what you are doing....hang in there a few more years. Diversify your holdings, possibly some of them to currencies other than the USD.

But don't wait too long! :o

no dependents

good health

Thanks el jefe, as some stated already, I have more than enough. I can even spend much more and I still will be fine. As I stated before I can get very generous pension if I waited to 60(not 65) but I just cannot wait that long, nor do I have to. I pay severe penalty for early retirement but to me it's all worth it. Money isn't everything but quality of life is. My days are numbered so is everybody in this TV forum. I rather enjoy my life while I'm younger and healthier rather than older, richer and sicker.

As one very rich older expat told me few years back, "I'll give everything I got to have my youth back". He was filthy rich workaholic. He had big houses with servents, nice cars and a beautiful young Thai GF but he was crying in tears when he told me this and he was dead serious. It was than I made my decision to work harder and retire earlier. Life is short, best to enjoy it to the fullest or try to. You'll never know what you might comeback as in your after-life

Edited by Gary74

I bailed at age 54. No pension, too young still for Social Security.

Sold my house and almost all my accumulated detritus (art, car, motorcycles, scuba diving gear, etc.) and moved to Chiang Mai 2 years ago.

Best thing I ever did. And I can still run around the block, too.... :o

You can do it, no problem!

Every country have the people who are happy with a few little treats and some who are happy spending like their lives depend on it.For the poster i would say if you want to live in cm for 1000 dollars a month and you think you can do it,thenbloody do it.forget the rich ones who call you a cheap charley and have a great life,retired early and relax to youe hearts content.For the ones who lvoe to show off and have the best,up to you and have a healthy life.

I,for one have never been so happy leaving my suburon lifestyle with everyone around me wanting more and more,and trying to outdo each other.not for me and retiring at 50 and living here is far better than big houses,big cars etc etc..

Not even interested to tell you what i live on but i have for nothing and have many friends here,which is the most important part of life,plus the nicest lady in the world so whu should i need to spend 2500 quid a month.much betetr in the high interst savings accounts for another few years then my son in the uk can have it.

Every country have the people who are happy with a few little treats and some who are happy spending like their lives depend on it.For the poster i would say if you want to live in cm for 1000 dollars a month and you think you can do it,thenbloody do it.forget the rich ones who call you a cheap charley and have a great life,retired early and relax to youe hearts content.For the ones who lvoe to show off and have the best,up to you and have a healthy life.

I,for one have never been so happy leaving my suburon lifestyle with everyone around me wanting more and more,and trying to outdo each other.not for me and retiring at 50 and living here is far better than big houses,big cars etc etc..

Not even interested to tell you what i live on but i have for nothing and have many friends here,which is the most important part of life,plus the nicest lady in the world so whu should i need to spend 2500 quid a month.much betetr in the high interst savings accounts for another few years then my son in the uk can have it.

Well said (apart from the grammar and speeling) and I’ll second the suggestion to the OP that he gives it go – good luck :o

One more thing: quit while you can still have orgasms.

But only if you will be able to afford someone to have them with, no? :o

Not necessarily. I guess your parents forgot to tell you something.

I have often wondered why Razza is always bumping into things.

But only if you will be able to afford someone to have them with, no? :D

I get it. Your advice to others is, quit your job, even though you are too poor to afford a 'friend' and will end up sitting in a room alone engaging in self-abuse. You must have really hated working. :o

I have often wondered why Razza is always bumping into things.

The only things I bump into are old friends from time to time. :o

I get it. Your advice to others is, quit your job, even though you are too poor to afford a 'friend' and will end up sitting in a room alone engaging in self-abuse. You must have really hated working. :o

Half-seriously, back to the related topic of choosing early retirement. I do think too many guys wait too long. The guy who disallowed a president's tax exclusion retired after a great IRS career and died about six months later. I literally saw a coworker die from a heart attack at the office after he tried to walk around the block. My coworkers told me of other cases where associates were carried out of the office dead or nearly brain-dead. And they liked their jobs! They were waiting for their pensions to increase from $3500 or $4000 per month, to even more - even though the defined benefit plan disregarded their life expectancy. So, they can retire at age 79 with 57 years of service, and maybe collect two months at $6000.

So when these 50-somethings want to retire early, even alone and with an income of only US$1,500, and come to a place like Chiang Mai, I say, "Wow, Chuck, come on!" :D

Half-seriously, back to the related topic of choosing early retirement. I do think too many guys wait too long. . . . .

So when these 50-somethings want to retire early, even alone and with an income of only US$1,500, and come to a place like Chiang Mai, I say, "Wow, Chuck, come on!" :o

Alright, alright, I'll be half-serious -- no, entirely serious -- for a moment too: I retired three years ago at 51, moved to Chiangmai two years ago, love both being retired and living here, and, like you, would recommend both to any one -- even those who can't come. :D

Just reading the lattest postings, and the missus (Thai) asked what I was reading.

I said, 'can you live on GBP 500 (USD1000) a month in CM.' She replied 'if you are alone then easy, if you have a family, forget it!'

Seems to sum it up really!!

It s probably still easy to survive on a $1000 has to be mentioned that your $1000 is getting less worth every year

anticipating on the debase of the dollar it will take 2 years before you get about 23000 baht for your $1000

It s strongly recomended to invest in Thailand and maybe even consider starting a business in Thailand .

If I would be an American then I would be borrowing money from the bank (american bank low interest) and create leverage so you will create much more baht and later on lots of dollars!!!