Airlines Oppose Plan Allowing Passengers To Use Cell Phones

george

Airlines oppose plan allowing passengers to use cell phones

BANGKOK: -- Senior executives of airline companies are opposing a Thai government plan which would allow passengers to use mobile phones while in the air.

Udom Tantiprasongchai, chairman of One-Two-Go Airlines, also known as Orient Thai, said he personally disagreed with the Transport Ministry’s Aviation Department considering allowing airline passengers to use cell phones while traveling.

It was up to each airline and its policy on allowing passengers to use cell phones, said Mr. Udom, adding he personally believed the existing regulation concerning cell phone use should not be changed because cell phone conversations could disturb other passengers and lead to quarrels.

Citing that several countries already allowed airline passengers to use mobile phones because their signals did not have any effect on airline traffic signals, the Aviation Department was now conducting a study on whether passengers could use cell phones while traveling.

Mr. Udom said he believed if cell phone use was allowed by passengers, it should be allowed only for internet access.

Sharing the One-Two-Go Airlines chairman’s views was Tasapon Bijleveld, chief executive officer of Thai Air Asia. He said his airline was expected to cling to the current policy of not allowing passengers to use cell phones while traveling as it would disturb other passengers.

--TNA 2008-04-06

Usually you're not allowed to use the mobile phones during take off and landing only. That interrupts with signals from the air-tower. But you ARE allowed to use it while flying. Not that much of a signal can reach anyone up that high in any case. :o

"the Aviation Department was now conducting a study on whether passengers could use cell phones while traveling."

Can't believe they are going to waste taxpayers' money to conduct a study which has been researched in every OTHER country! :D

Edited by Jewelz

The system works by having a base station on the plane and all calls are routed through the

equipment on the plane.

I agree totally that allowing calls will lead to bedlam. :o

It is bad enough having people shouting into their phones down on earth.

It should not be allowed on planes, or at the least limited to SMS.

The system works by having a base station on the plane and all calls are routed through the

equipment on the plane.

I agree totally that allowing calls will lead to bedlam. :o

It is bad enough having people shouting into their phones down on earth.

It should not be allowed on planes, or at the least limited to SMS.

I agree absolutely Astral.

Can't people stay away from their cell phone .....

You can't eat peacefully anymore, people screaming to their cell phone at every table

You risk your life while driving because the car in front of you is swaying ... the driver is on the cell

People shouting at nothing in the street ... they talk on their cell

etc.. etc..

And now on the plane ! ... please give us a break ... what is so important to talk about constantly, beats me!

Thank god they oppose it. It really irritates me to hear someone yakking away on their phone. I would not be surprised if using cell phones increased air rage incidents. There's no reason someone needs to be on their phone when everyone is forced to be together for hours.

Can't people stay away from their cell phone .....

You can't eat peacefully anymore, people screaming to their cell phone at every table

You risk your life while driving because the car in front of you is swaying ... the driver is on the cell

People shouting at nothing in the street ... they talk on their cell

etc.. etc..

And now on the plane ! ... please give us a break ... what is so important to talk about constantly, beats me!

Well said!

I have never owned, nor will ever own, a mobile phone. I detest them.

Believe this is not technically true, as the GSM signals and node close to the airport are completely independent of and different technology to airport/aircraft communication signals

The real reasons for not being allowed to use while in aircraft on the ground are

-possible excessive noise and distraction for flight crew and passengers

-security

-overloading of local GSM "cell" with call traffic as these cells are not designed to handle potnetially 1000s of calls from various people sitting in aircraft....this would require all GSM netwroks to be expanded significantly in areas close to airports...

Usually you're not allowed to use the mobile phones during take off and landing only. That interrupts with signals from the air-tower. But you ARE allowed to use it while flying. Not that much of a signal can reach anyone up that high in any case. :o

"the Aviation Department was now conducting a study on whether passengers could use cell phones while traveling."

Can't believe they are going to waste taxpayers' money to conduct a study which has been researched in every OTHER country! :D

Hooray! Hooray! Hooray! The first time I have seen common sense in Thailand, although I think we are doing a King Canute and trying to hold back the tide on the inevitable.

In some ways, Thailand is 10, 20 or more years behind the West. Think non-smoking areas (just arriving at your local bar), seat-belts in vehicles (at least in the front seats) ...

It wasn't that long ago you could smoke on an aircraft. It wasn't that long ago low-cost carriers arrived. Give it another 12 months and I think you will find a number of different scenarios:

* The airlines which banned mobile phone use on board their planes will be forced to cave in due to declining passenger numbers and allow mobile phone use on board,

* Passengers vote with their cells phones - just like low-cost carriers (LCC) and full-fare airlines, passengers get a choice (certain flights are non-mobile, other flights allow mobile calls).

* Designated section of the aircraft for mobile calls (front half of the plane?)

Peter

Update:

Thailand studies air passenger use of mobile phones

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Transport Ministry Aviation Department is assessing the pros and cons on allowing passengers to use cell phones while in the air, according to Chaisak Angkasuwan, Aviation Department director-general.

Mr. Chaisak said the issue is being considered by a special committee after findng that new models of mobile phones could not be turned off except by removing its battery.

He said that National Aeronautics Space Administration (NASA) had conducted a study which initially found that cell phone signals would not disrupt or pose any technical problem for aircraft while flying.

Other factors may have to be taken into consideration before the existing regulation which forbids air passengers from using mobile phones while planes are in the air, said Mr. Chaisak.

These factors include disrupting passengers' attention on listening to how to use safety kits available on airplane or causing disturbance to other passengers.

A new order will be issued if the regulation is lifted, he said, adding that some airline companies may come up with their own rules.

Senior executives of airline companies here oppose the plan which would allow passengers to use mobile phones while travelling. They reasoned that cell phone conversations could disturb other passengers.

The executives said if cell phones are allowed for passengers, they should be used for internet access only.

--TNA 2008-04-07

Believe this is not technically true, as the GSM signals and node close to the airport are completely independent of and different technology to airport/aircraft communication signals

The real reasons for not being allowed to use while in aircraft on the ground are

-possible excessive noise and distraction for flight crew and passengers

-security

-overloading of local GSM "cell" with call traffic as these cells are not designed to handle potnetially 1000s of calls from various people sitting in aircraft....this would require all GSM netwroks to be expanded significantly in areas close to airports...

I think your off the mark here. What happens when all the people are in the terminal waiting to board the dozens of planes parked outside and they are on their mobiles. Does that cause a problem. NO !!! So how could it cause a problem if they were sitting in the plane :D

If I am sitting next to some dummy who spends half the flight yapping on his fone I will be tempted to shove it right up where his mama never gave him a big kiss.

Edited by john b good

Does anybody know anyone who is for being able to use your mobile phone on planes? I have certainly never heard anyone say that they think it will be a good thing. How is this even being considered? Me thinks maybe its the minority buisness and first class passengers that the airlines are trying to please. Thats where the money is for airlines. Any ideas of how much the airlines and mobile service providers are thinking of charging per minute for these in air calls? Its probably going to make mobile roaming tarrifs appear cheap.

I think for most people the the idea of having a unhappy baby or overtired child screaming and crying next to you on a plane is the ultimate in nightmare plane journeys. It could soon change to the over excited tourist who just had the best time ever on Koh Samui and wants to tell every datail of the holiday to Mum, Dad, Tracy, Michelle, David, Nan and the neighbours dog. Is there such a thing as "Air-rage" yet?

I don't see the problem, why is someone using a mobile all of a sudden such a nuisance on the plane. I couldn't care less.

Emirates is the first airline that allows his customers to use mobile phones during the flight. I think it was only a matter of time before this would happen, and I don't see any problems with it.

I don't see the problem, why is someone using a mobile all of a sudden such a nuisance on the plane. I couldn't care less.

Emirates is the first airline that allows his customers to use mobile phones during the flight. I think it was only a matter of time before this would happen, and I don't see any problems with it.

You say that you dont see a problem with it. Have you ever sat next to someone who was shouting down a mobile phone for an hour? Because trust me with all the background noise and the blocked ears most users are going to SHOUT. If you are trying to catch some Zzzzs this will become a problem for even the most tolerant. As for those that have no patients they will kick up a fuss causing more discomfort and annoyance to people surrounding them. As bad ideas go its up there with nuclear power stations in Thailand.

Liking it or not is probably irrelevant. The writing is on the wall that this has started already and will no doubt spread as airlines want to compete on services.

I would assume the only problem Air Asia has is either it may cost them some money to setup ot they haven't figured out how to benefit from it financially yet. There again it just may be that their pre WW2 aircraft can't have it installed for some technical reason like the canvas wings interferring with signals.

"You say that you dont see a problem with it. Have you ever sat next to someone who was shouting down a mobile phone for an hour?"

Obviously not, even though I did fly emirates recently, but not on the route they now apparently allow usage of mobile phones. As gravelrash stated, this is something that is going to happen if you like it or not. I always use an MP3 player, so I doubt I would be offended by anyone shouting into a mobile phone.

Last time around, I talked a lot with a fellow passenger, and indeed someone took offence, boy some people really do have problems, I skillfully ignored the whinging.

Thank you thank you Airlines, we all will benefit from the peace and quite on board. I for one really wouldn't want to sat next to some CHATTER Mouth on a 3 or 4 hour flt or any flt for that matter, Again, thank you thank you so MUCH. Somebody using a little common sense. :o:D:D:D:D:D

There was a time that making a phonecall was a private thing.

That were the good times, before people became very uncouth because of the mobile phones.

Now I have to listen to people yapping away about anything ranging from stupid to downright dangerous.

If you don't see any problem, than sir, you should visit a doctor, because you need help. Urgent.

Why?

Well, it is considered to be very rude to talk loudly in company.

If one talks to someone outside a group, he should leave the group where he is in.

Why, because members of the group might be ashamed to listen to a private conversation.

That is why, sir!

I make it my business, if someone talks loudly in the phone, to start talking very loudly to myself!

Or to companions if I am not alone.

Very funny.

Try it out.

The caller hangs up within a minute or so, even in Thailand.

So they bloody well know it is a irritating thing to do.

There was a time that making a phonecall was a private thing.

That were the good times, before people became very uncouth because of the mobile phones.

Now I have to listen to people yapping away about anything ranging from stupid to downright dangerous.

If you don't see any problem, than sir, you should visit a doctor, because you need help. Urgent.

Why?

Well, it is considered to be very rude to talk loudly in company.

If one talks to someone outside a group, he should leave the group where he is in.

Why, because members of the group might be ashamed to listen to a private conversation.

That is why, sir!

I make it my business, if someone talks loudly in the phone, to start talking very loudly to myself!

Or to companions if I am not alone.

Very funny.

Try it out.

The caller hangs up within a minute or so, even in Thailand.

So they bloody well know it is a irritating thing to do.

Imagine, sitting on a plane for nearly 12 hours, trying to sleep a bit, and than: department of silly ringtones followed by verbal dhiarroe for 5-10 minutes or longer

Great!

Usually you're not allowed to use the mobile phones during take off and landing only. That interrupts with signals from the air-tower. But you ARE allowed to use it while flying. Not that much of a signal can reach anyone up that high in any case.

From the posts, it appears as if people are not familliar with the policies regarding mobile phone usage during flight here in Thailand.

Would it surprise you to know that your phone must stay off for the entire flight? Unlike other countries, you cannot even turn your phone to 'flight mode'.

This is policy for Thai Airways, and I believe all the others follow it as well.

I cannot turn on my mobile at all (it has a flight mode) and listen to MP3, watch movies, or play games even if the flight is 10 hours long.

Thailand's policy is in need of an update.

That doesn't mean we want to make calls, but banning usage for the whole flight is not reasonable

Aaaahhh. But there is a significant difference. This time it will be with the benefit of the well known Thai wisdom. :o

Imagine, sitting on a plane for nearly 12 hours, trying to sleep a bit, and than: department of silly ringtones followed by verbal dhiarroe for 5-10 minutes or longer

Great!

I no longer can tolerate long train rides in second class in Thailand for that reason. Last time I did, Bangkok to Hat Yai, I got no sleep because all bloody night long someone's mobile phone would ring. I will concede that most of the Thais attempted to keep their voices down, while the farangs did not, but just the intermittent ringing all night long was intolerable. Any subsequent train travel has been in first class, where I only have to contend with one compartment mate.

Usually you're not allowed to use the mobile phones during take off and landing only. That interrupts with signals from the air-tower. But you ARE allowed to use it while flying. Not that much of a signal can reach anyone up that high in any case.

From the posts, it appears as if people are not familliar with the policies regarding mobile phone usage during flight here in Thailand.

Would it surprise you to know that your phone must stay off for the entire flight? Unlike other countries, you cannot even turn your phone to 'flight mode'.

This is policy for Thai Airways, and I believe all the others follow it as well.

I cannot turn on my mobile at all (it has a flight mode) and listen to MP3, watch movies, or play games even if the flight is 10 hours long.

Thailand's policy is in need of an update.

That doesn't mean we want to make calls, but banning usage for the whole flight is not reasonable

If the flight is 10 hours long, I presume in-flight entertainment will be supplied to you, courtesy of the airline.

If it is possible to switch on a mobile, listen to MP3, watch a movie, then maybe, yes maybe, you might be trying to make a call too.

That is why the categorical denial of the use of mobile phones by most airlines.

I have seen it happen more than once on flights to Europe.

Nowadays, airlines are even thinking about disrupting the possible use of a cellphone by means of blocking equipment.

Now, that is a splendid idea!