Us Demands Thailand Halt Intellectual Property Violations

george

It's such a complex issue.

On the one hand, IP should be protected, no doubt about it. It promotes innovation for new medicines, engineering developmets etc. And not all major innovations are made by massive, money hungry multi-nationals.

But then you get companies (Yes, mainly US based), Bio-technology giants like Mosanto who, under auspices of the WTO engage in practices that are truly predatory and have no respect for the developing countries they export their products to.

Mosanto Inc:

Global reach, control

Over the last decade, Monsanto aggressively bought up over 50 seed companies around the globe. Seeds are the source of all food. Whoever owns the seeds, owns the food. The process of genetic engineering allows companies, such as Monsanto, to claim patent rights over seeds. Ninety percent of all GE seeds planted in the world are patented by Monsanto and hence controlled by them.

Patents on seeds give companies like Monsanto unprecedented power. Monsanto prohibits farmers saving patented GE seeds from one crop to replant the next season, an age-old practice. To ensure that farmers do not reuse seeds, Monsanto created its own 'gene police', and encourages farmers to turn in their neighbors.

Even farmers that do not use GE seeds are not safe. According to an investigative report by the Centre for Food Safety (CFS) farmers have even been sued for patent infringement after their field was contaminated by pollen or seed from someone else's GE crop.

But Monsanto's influence doesn't stop at the US border. "The world according to Monsanto", documents the devastating impact of Monsanto's malpractices around the world. Among others, it includes the real-life stories of cotton farmers in India that ended up in hopeless debts after using Monsanto genetically engineered (so called Bt) cotton, and of a family in Paraguay, South America whose dreams have turned to nightmares after their farm became surrounded by fields planted with Monsanto's GE soya.

Some of the people here who blindly say IP should be protected and make it a black and white issue. Can you please explain to me what right a US based company has to copyright a farmers rice crop in India? Copyright food? Do you really think US patent laws should be blindly respected in developing countries?

When the US corporate entities are allowed to move in developing countries and do this sort of thing, is it really any wonder they are generally hated around the rest of the world. :o

I hate to sound like one of the bugeois, but bringing up Monsanto as evil is disingenious. The case that I assume you're refering to was discovered to have contained more GM seeds than would have been due to simple windbourne cross pollination and issued a press release that they do not in fact try and sue those who fall vicitim to this unfortunate natural occurence. And I do mean unfortunate occurance, because if a poor farmer were to try and sell his seed to the EU without labeling it GM, it would most likely get him in trouble. It's been abundantly clear that those they've sued have been involved in outright theft of the company's intellectual property.

A US based company does not have the right to copyright the rice crop of an Indian farmer. It does have the right to protect the investments it has made in developing the beans/cotton/wheat/maize that the farmer has CHOSEN to use. It's really simple, if you want to use something that's not yours, use it according to the way that the owners of the item tell you to. If you think that this is wrong, remember that there are non-GM crops the growers could be using. If you think that the US should develop the technology and supply it to the world gratis, than I think that you should build a house and let any old person stay in it since shelter is just as important as food.

And this is what it really comes down to. The seed companies have CHOSEN to get into seen manufacturing because it could make them a profit. The growers have CHOSEN to steal the technology because it's superior to what they have, instead of having CHOSEN to grow indigenous crops. Now if the local governments have CHOSEN to utilise GM crops, than the impestus is on them to make sure they're within their responsibilities to ensure to protect the owners of the technologies rights. If they've have CHOSEN to not regulate GM crops, and the local farmers are stealing this technology, than the companies involved should pressure their governments to try and reclaim lost monies.

You'll notice I used the word chosen 5 (five) times in the last sentence. Because that's what this comes down to; choice. I don't hear of Monsanto et al. going to these countries and forcing the locals to grow GM modified crops at gun point.

BTW, and I could be mistaken, all those issues about reusing seed are pretty much moot since the GM crop manufacturers have started to use 'sterilised' products. And that has raised just as much furor, since people think that if the GM crop growing countries should provide seed to countries at low cost that would increase the yields, and yet not have to pay for the technology.

I've got a better idea....why don't we instead of sending food aide send population control devices/educational material. If it is an issue that the country needs aide, wouldn't it make more sense to control the population size than to keep feeding them so it's a never ending spiral? I.E., everytime they have a food shortage, we send them food. So their population grows, and yet somehow forgets the kindness, never returning the favour so to say. And next time they have a problem, we have to send yet more food. Am I the only one who sees the insanity in that?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Thailand -as others- should ask the US to stop stealing "IP" first !

Stop to sell "Californian Champagne", US-made "Chablis", even stop calling "pepperoni" something not coming from Italy ...

This is the first step, the second would be to rename the BERLINs, PARISs, ROMEs and copycat-named towns of the US with names they find themselves !

Maybe find an amerindian name for them ... like Sioux-City, Navajoville and like !

I don't see the US is in any position to give lessons to anyone on this matter ...

dave_boo

A US based company does not have the right to copyright the rice crop of an Indian farmer. It does have the right to protect the investments it has made in developing the beans/cotton/wheat/maize that the farmer has CHOSEN to use. It's really simple, if you want to use something that's not yours, use it according to the way that the owners of the item tell you to. If you think that this is wrong, remember that there are non-GM crops the growers could be using. If you think that the US should develop the technology and supply it to the world gratis, than I think that you should build a house and let any old person stay in it since shelter is just as important as food.

And this is what it really comes down to. The seed companies have CHOSEN to get into seen manufacturing because it could make them a profit. The growers have CHOSEN to steal the technology because it's superior to what they have, instead of having CHOSEN to grow indigenous crops. Now if the local governments have CHOSEN to utilise GM crops, than the impestus is on them to make sure they're within their responsibilities to ensure to protect the owners of the technologies rights. If they've have CHOSEN to not regulate GM crops, and the local farmers are stealing this technology, than the companies involved should pressure their governments to try and reclaim lost monies.

Very true.

But there needs to be much more transparency for all parties to make INFORMED choices.

I wonder if Mosanto marketers told goverment decision makers and farmers that mutated proteins have been discovered in their crops. Proteins that can lay dormant in the humans for upto 30 years. I hope that in the future we don't see an increase in "mad cow" like diseases in populations...and not just in developing countries.

But then again most farmers in developing countries are aspirational. They want bigger yields to improve life for their families. People are only concerned with their short term goals of making a profit - not the long term health and prosperity of the nation.

The long term effects are important though. Mosanto are the one's with the knowledge. The responsibility needs to be placed on them to make the right decisions. But then again they are a corporate entity and all that matters is profit...you cant stop this - anymore than you can deprogram a shark not to attack it's prey.

Sorry for getting off-topic...what was the question again. :o

Edited by Cavannagh

Stop to sell "Californian Champagne", US-made "Chablis", even stop calling "pepperoni" something not coming from Italy ...

This is the first step, the second would be to rename the BERLINs, PARISs, ROMEs and copycat-named towns of the US with names they find themselves !

Maybe find an amerindian name for them ... like Sioux-City, Navajoville and like !

I don't see the US is in any position to give lessons to anyone on this matter ...

You have got to be kidding - none of those ideas were copyrighted, the technology was known for centuries, and even if it was patented, patents run out, and on champaign (and other wines) as well as pepperoni, the patent would have expired about two hundred years ago. Additionally, I don't believe many cities have copyrighted their names. Moreover, the names you mentioned were not developed by one person or company. In short, your examples do not hold water.

Sanctions for violating INTELLECTUAL PROPERTIES ...

It is not a Thailand only problem but an Asian one ... I think the US is merely throwing a brick in the pond and expect the WTO (world trade organization) to seriously -for once- tackle this serious problem.

Research and development has an enormous cost ... if you want to benefit from it, you have to pay for it, as simple as that.

On a lighter note can 'farangs' own intellectual (if any) PROPERTIES in Thailand !

Unfortunately, this thread has moved more toward the ani-US area of discussion rather than the violation of intellectual property laws. Intellectual property is an important issue and it affects many, many countries. Champagne can only legally come from the area in France--in the US it is called Sparkling Wine. Jasmine Rice can only come from Thailand.

The issue goes far beyond DVD's and other 'non-essential' items, it extends to books (note the recent case of Thai textbooks being copied) and life-saving medicine. It also extends to silly things that will never probably be marketed, but they do belong to someone.

Eventually, these patents expire and the items become a part of the public domain. Let's look at the impact of intellectual property rights and violations more and a little less on the country that is bringing up the issue right now.

Unfortunately, this thread has moved more toward the ani-US area of discussion rather than the violation of intellectual property laws. Intellectual property is an important issue and it affects many, many countries. Champagne can only legally come from the area in France--in the US it is called Sparkling Wine. Jasmine Rice can only come from Thailand.

The issue goes far beyond DVD's and other 'non-essential' items, it extends to books (note the recent case of Thai textbooks being copied) and life-saving medicine. It also extends to silly things that will never probably be marketed, but they do belong to someone.

Eventually, these patents expire and the items become a part of the public domain. Let's look at the impact of intellectual property rights and violations more and a little less on the country that is bringing up the issue right now.

Not at all, I was simply trying to see farther than the end of my nose ...

France, as many european countries thrived by "stealing IP" from the Roman Empire.

The US thrived by "stealing IP" from european countries (empires).

Now is the turn of Asia, from which "the West" took so many things (from firearms to printing by pasta ...) without "paying" anything ...

This is History, not patent-law !

Edited by MengWan

[To answer mrtoad's question as to why people aspire to come to the UK? Well firstly its language. Many can already speak English to a degree but cannot speak any other language except their own. So an obvious attraction. Also its easy to get jobs here and the pay is adequate/good.

What mrtoad might want to ponder is why so many UK citizens want to leave ? Could be because we are turning fast into a police state where govt dictate too much of your life.Many UK people i speak to , including myself, cannot wait to leave.

Well, Yaketeyak I haven't lived in the UK for nearly three years, and whilst I can agree with some of your sentiments, don't believe for one minute that the grass is always greener on the other side.

If you don't think that Thailand is a Police state then you haven't spent enough time here.

I think the only interesting issue here is how the US bundled Compulsory Licensing with other IP violations.

It looks like they can't tackle the CL on its own as they don't have a legal leg to stand on, they can't downgrade Thailand's status only because of CL, so they decided to mask it with trivial IP violations like DVDs.

Will they downgrade China where pirated software/movies/music is far more widespread? I don't think so.

Also I suspect most of those pirated DVDs come from the US itself (via the Internet). Thais only need to record Thai soundtrack with a simple MP3 recorder and, perhaps, get someone to type up subtitles.

Some US companies intentionally release DVD screeners for download to generate public interest, not all of them are even stolen. And movies recorded with Camcoders inside movie theaters usually come from Europe, not Asia.

Thousands of people download these movies every day, free for all. Thais are only efficient at selling these stolen goods.

China has been playing this IP game with the US for years now, and, on the street at least, nothing has changed. You can buy pirated new release DVDs in the middle of Beijing for less than you pay in Thailand or Lao.

China has been threatened, cajoled, bullied, sweet talked etc etc and just says we are taking it very seriously, and look how many DVDs and handbags we have seized this year. Then they have a "crackdown" for a week, with the obligatory TV news footage of a bulldozer running over some seized DVDs, and the sellers become more discreet. And lo and behold, one week later, everything is back to normal.

Suggest Thailand does the same :o

Lame... :o

Not at all, I was simply trying to see farther than the end of my nose ...

France, as many european countries thrived by "stealing IP" from the Roman Empire.

The US thrived by "stealing IP" from european countries (empires).

Now is the turn of Asia, from which "the West" took so many things (from firearms to printing by pasta ...) without "paying" anything ...

This is History, not patent-law !

MengWan took her ID from 2,008 other people (Google it). Consider the source... :o

[To answer mrtoad's question as to why people aspire to come to the UK? Well firstly its language. Many can already speak English to a degree but cannot speak any other language except their own. So an obvious attraction. Also its easy to get jobs here and the pay is adequate/good.

What mrtoad might want to ponder is why so many UK citizens want to leave ? Could be because we are turning fast into a police state where govt dictate too much of your life.Many UK people i speak to , including myself, cannot wait to leave.

Well, Yaketeyak I haven't lived in the UK for nearly three years, and whilst I can agree with some of your sentiments, don't believe for one minute that the grass is always greener on the other side.

If you don't think that Thailand is a Police state then you haven't spent enough time here.

Yes mrtoad i agree , Thailand is a Police State. But the big differance is that if you break the law in Thailand you "sort it out" there and then with the Police and get on with your life. In the UK they are driven by targets and can't wait to arrest people with or without just cause.

So far only farang prince (you need to read between the insults to me to see his point) has shown a reason for caring ...in his case MONEY which was what i said it was all about in the first place. He doesn't want anyone else's nose in the trough. Which is fair enough as he developed the products. He wants all the money to himself. Very human reaction. I would do the same.

Many posters have made good points here which have made me re-think to an extent. The medical issues etc .. all very valid points.

HOWEVER i still say the people here fretting about copy DVD's and the like (copy teashirts and clothes is another one) have overreacted. I still ask , why the hel_l do they care about that? I still don't.

Yes mrtoad i agree , Thailand is a Police State. But the big differance is that if you break the law in Thailand you "sort it out" there and then with the Police and get on with your life. In the UK they are driven by targets and can't wait to arrest people with or without just cause.

So far only farang prince (you need to read between the insults to me to see his point) has shown a reason for caring ...in his case MONEY which was what i said it was all about in the first place. He doesn't want anyone else's nose in the trough. Which is fair enough as he developed the products. He wants all the money to himself. Very human reaction. I would do the same.

Many posters have made good points here which have made me re-think to an extent. The medical issues etc .. all very valid points.

HOWEVER i still say the people here fretting about copy DVD's and the like (copy teashirts and clothes is another one) have overreacted. I still ask , why the hel_l do they care about that? I still don't.

Sorry i must have hit the button twice... can a mod remove the identical post??

Edited by yaketyak

I have a hard time understanding why anyone would get upset with a nation trying to protect the products its citizens make. Whether music or video, medicine or computer code, US citizens create products which are then stolen so the profit goes to criminals, not the innovators. And then to make this into a anti-US diatribe is ridiculous.

Of course the US will try to protect its products, Just as Thailand moved to protect "Jasmine Rice" a few years ago when a South Carolina professor introduced a rice with "jasmine" in the name. (Thailand succeeded, by-the-way.) Just as Thailand wants ready access to US markets for shrimp, rice, electronics, etc. The Thai government looks after the welfare of its citizens, to include businesses. The US looks after its own citizens and business. All the US is doing is saying that if Thailand wants its business interests as they concern the US met, the country needs to do a better job of cracking down on what almost all nations agree is criminal activity.

I make my living sending Thai products to other countries, and the top destination for the exports I sell is the USA. Yet I can hardly blame the US for trying to protect its own economic livelihood.

US demands Thailand halt intellectual property violations

BANGKOK: -- The United States has demanded that the Thai government quickly solve what it described as persistent violations of intellectual property agreements before deciding on the trade status of the Kingdom due to be announced on April 30, a senior Thai official said Monday.

Puangrat Assawapisit, director-general of Thailand's Intellectual Property Department, said the United States Trade Representative (USTR) had on March 28 submitted this year's annual report to the Congress which also contained a report on alleged past violations of intellectual property rights of the US by Thailand.

Reiterating that the Thai government had strictly protected US intellectual property rights, Mrs. Puangrat said her department had also dispatched details of its suppression activities to the US authorities for consideration.

Washington, she said, wanted the Thai government to focus on six issues if the kingdom desired an improved ranking.

The six demands include intellectual property protection for new drugs, she indicated, saying that the US considered that the compulsory licensing (CL) measures activated by Thailand regarding certain drugs still lacked transparency.

The Americans said that the Thai law punishing producers of contraband CDs is still too lenient and that the Thai government should impose penalties against shopping mall owners where counterfeit products are displayed.

Mrs. Puangrat had earlier expressed worries that Washington might place Thailand on its "priority foreign country" PFC list for intellectual property infringements and subject the Kingdom to certain trade sanctions.

She had also earlier said that it was possible that the US might remove Thailand from its the current possition on the priority watch list (PWL) to the less favourable PFC because the US felt that Thailand had failed to reduce the piracy problem, and that Washington might impose certain trade sanctions against this country.

--TNA 2008-04-07

What a load of cr*$p and this is coming from an American.

First off, lets begin with the state of the U.S. healthcare system where often times people have to choose whether they can use their money to buy the medicine they need or food, pathetic. My buddy's grandmother eats cat food sandwiches so that she has money for her medicine. I'm for CL all the way, the U.S. government subsidizes research in the billions so don't let these people saying "oh, the poor pharmeceutical company spending on research should earn the billions", BS.

Next, Thailand was used by big pharmacy in testing HIV/Aids drugs, and then the companies turn around and charge full price, so the people they were testing on, then could not afford the medications. Again, massive BS.

CL is morally correct, get the people who are sick the medicine they need.

As far as the pirated movies and music...........please, everybody can download the same stuff off bit torrent and other sites so as soon as the U.S. shuts down file sharing (and the internet) then maybe they can toss around that pirated protection nonsense.

Sorry, if anyone notices I'm bent at the current U.S. administration, you're spot on. Bush is a mental midget.

China has been playing this IP game with the US for years now, and, on the street at least, nothing has changed. You can buy pirated new release DVDs in the middle of Beijing for less than you pay in Thailand or Lao.

China has been threatened, cajoled, bullied, sweet talked etc etc and just says we are taking it very seriously, and look how many DVDs and handbags we have seized this year. Then they have a "crackdown" for a week, with the obligatory TV news footage of a bulldozer running over some seized DVDs, and the sellers become more discreet. And lo and behold, one week later, everything is back to normal.

Suggest Thailand does the same :o

they do :D

Sorry i must have hit the button twice... can a mod remove the identical post??

:o Far enough, personally I couldn't care to much about the copy DVD's either, there are far more important issues that the US and the UK should concentrate on.

The US is probably doing it for show as much as anything. Thailand is not going to change its ways. They've been pirating software since 86 or 7, cassette tapes before cd or dvd, fake designer gear etc etc. It's is too embedding in the system, it won't change.

The real problem for thailand is the US can get can get the bulk of its low skill consumer goods from with China, India, Vietnam and other countries. The high skill goods of course Thailand cannot compete in that market. Thailand has already lost major share in the US market in textiles to China if they go on the doggy PFC list they stand a good chance of dropping market share in other export industries, really hitting bottom.

Hey maybe the EC will buy it from them :o

with some of those "American Movies" Im glad I got a copy instead of paying more to see it at a theatre :o

theres so much utter cr@p movies out there

I agree with you Donnyboy, a lot of the new release (counterfeit) movies I have bought are a lot of crap and it is only because of the cheap price that I bought them anyway.

I am not all that interested in seeing huge multinational global companies make money from 3rd (ish) world countries with their over inflated prices and monopolies...a pox on them.

As for rip off fashion clothes...what a joke, a bunch of egotistical ponces wanted the bleed the world dry of disposable income for something that is in fashion for a nanosecond...Bring it on!!!

The more that stuff is ripped off and brought to the masses the better, why not have it counterfeited in the country where their sweatshops exploit the locals population in manufacturing the rubbish?

Who in their right mind would buy a genuine "labled" handbag when the rip off looks just as good and probably turned out by the nightshift in their own sweatshop.

Pirated software??? Who gives a stuff really? It is wwaaayyyy overpriced anyway, they are still laughing all the way to the bank. Pharmaceuticals?....are these the same companies that have to be cajoled, lobbied and shamed to release affordable life saving drugs to poor countries.

Pffftt, forget about it

I have a hard time understanding why anyone would get upset with a nation trying to protect the products its citizens make. Whether music or video, medicine or computer code, US citizens create products which are then stolen so the profit goes to criminals, not the innovators. And then to make this into a anti-US diatribe is ridiculous.

I think you took it wrong what was (often) said !

I did not saw anyone upset there, just people trying to tell that this initiative is futile !

Futile ..., OK, stupid, if you prefer ...

NB: A large portion of the people who do research in the US are NOT US citizens.

I think you took it wrong what was (often) said !

I did not saw anyone upset there, just people trying to tell that this initiative is futile !

Futile ..., OK, stupid, if you prefer ...

NB: A large portion of the people who do research in the US are NOT US citizens.

"NB: A large portion of the people who do research in the US are NOT US citizens.

I'd love to know the source for this statement.

For all of you posters who don't care about the need for intellectual property rights, I'd be very curious what kind of work you do.

Sell DVDs, Levis jeans and Louis Vitton handbags over E Bay.

10 free Viagra with every purchase over $100.00

For all of you posters who don't care about the need for intellectual property rights, I'd be very curious what kind of work you do.

Why am I not surprised that you couldn't give a straight answer to a straightforward question?

Why am I not surprised that you couldn't give a straight answer to a straightforward question?

Awe shucks, ok then...OIL...Black Gold...Texas Tea!!!!