Teaching With A Disability.

jaidee1

About 8 months ago whilst living in Samui, I was involved in a serious motorbike accident. My right leg was amputated above the knee & as a result I had to return to the UK. I now feel able to return to Thailand & start my life again, but I am unsure how my disability will affect job prospects.

Before the crash I had just completed a TEFL course.

Paul

p.s. I have also recently married my Thai gf. Slowly life becomes good again. :o

I'm sorry to hear about your accident!

Well it's obviously not going to help, but I don't think it will be a major hindrance to you. I've met amputees teaching here (one chap with a leg missing and one chap with an arm missing) and they seemed to be doing okay!

Good luck!

About 8 months ago whilst living in Samui, I was involved in a serious motorbike accident. My right leg was amputated above the knee & as a result I had to return to the UK. I now feel able to return to Thailand & start my life again, but I am unsure how my disability will affect job prospects.

Before the crash I had just completed a TEFL course.

Paul

p.s. I have also recently married my Thai gf. Slowly life becomes good again. :D

Bummer... Unfortunately, serious bike accidents on Samui have always been common.... And the Southern drivers are among the worst drivers I've experienced in Thailand.

Happy for you that your life is coming around again. I hope that you can still ride bikes- if you want to, of course. I rode bikes all my life until a couple of years ago...

As for working, no sweat as long as you can do the all the standing and stair climbing required. Of course, students will find your prosthesis fascinating, but not gross, I think.

Hang in there, sir :o

It can be done.

It will all depend on the school again though. I know a guy that is in a wheelchair and managed to get a job but it took him a while as most took one look at him and mentally shouted "next please!"

That's my choice, too, and I've convinced myself it's too much of a hassle for me in a chair because of all the physical barriers in any school I've seen. One reason why you hardly ever see students in wheelchairs.

My great respect to your friend for his perseverance :o

:D

Take some courage…from this post by me on another Fred (Sports, Golf, Hobbies & Activities) section:-

Please read all of this Paul (jaidee1) (click on Courage below).

Courage

:D

It may help you to Win over your battle of fears coming back to Thailand.

The Thais did this, why Kan not you. :D

You know, and we all know, you Kan Win anywhere in the world including in Thailand should you have the courage to do so… :D

Because people like yourself, ((getting up and wanting to move back to where they left their life behind (Samui)) all believe that you Kan do well in your own profession helping Thais coping with their own problems…and believing in themselves .. Like you believe in yourself.... :wub:

God Bless -_-

Kan Win :o

Edited by Kan Win

Thanks for all the positive replys, they have certainly helped. I was returning as Thailand had become my home (even had a dog) but your response has made me even more determined.

Ajarn, yes I still want to ride bikes. As for stairs etc no problem. The prosthetic limb is very good thanks to the NHS. I will never complain again.

Kan Win, thankyou also. Dont think I will teach in Samui, not enough schools. BKK & Bobbys Arms here I come. :o

Hope to meet a few of you in the future.

Paul.