Bangkok vs pattaya beach

utapaortnab

I lifted the following from the Asia Bugle 7-23-03.  I agree 100% with the comments listed.  Interested in what other members think and why.

The World Press has given Pattaya an image that would suggest it is the 21st Century’s Sodom and Gomorra. If it is bad, it happens in Pattaya. Well that is what we are led to believe. I must admit, for the short while I lived in Pattaya a year or so ago, I rather dodged the question about where exactly I lived!

However, Pattaya is probably the ideal place for an ex-pat to live. I say this because Pattaya not only has the bad, but the good, and the facilities as well. I am often asked about Pattaya and more and more I recommend it. Bangkok has more top end places, but Pattaya has international standard restaurants, good live music and a nightlife that belittles Bangkok. And dare I add that competition in Pattaya has worked for us, the consumer; prices are lower, making the place that much more affordable. Add to that a first class transport facility (Baht buses), much cheaper housing and a mass of recreational facilities and you will see where I am coming from.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you are single, then Pattaya is a good place to go.  Everything you mentioned is true.  Good restaurants, recreation, etc etc.  If you are married though, I wouldnt recommend it.  Too much temptation.  If a married couple wants to live there, be very secure in your relationship.  That town is full of debauchery and its a blast for a single guy or friends.  Basically, its a party town.  Like Las Vegas but a lot cheaper and with less rules.

I forgot to mention, I have been to Pattaya more than a few times so I do know the place.  If a beach town with lots of partying is really what your looking for, Pattaya is the place.  If you want a beach town that is more laid back and calm, then I would have to say Hua Hin where I have also been and that town puts emphasis on the word SLOW.

You got that right. We went to Hua Hin in may, planned to stay thier for 4 days, left after 2. My fiance didn't even like it. Everything is too spread out. The beach and the water is clean, but We like pattaya  for the facilities. Nice super makets, dept stores, malls, ect. Plus we have a lot of friends in Pattaya.

Another question:   When will pattaya ever get finished with the on-going building work.   My belief is in around 5 years there will be no boundry between Jomtian & Pattaya as new buildings emerging will make the one seriouly big town.

As for Bangkok the only part I ever see now adays is the arrivals area and the domestic departures, enough for me.

Sev

:cool:

I think Pattaya Baht buses are O.K. They come along every minute, it is 10 baht flat fare and you can charter them to take you home for 50 baht.

Pattaya has something for everyone, you don't have to go to soi 2,7,8 walking street every night. There are fantastic malls for eating and shopping, great sports facilities, decent hospitals, nice beaches a boat ride away. I personally think Bangkok is a tourist trap, everything is overpriced, in Pattaya you can bet a full English breakfast for 65 baht and Beer Chang 35 Baht a bottle. The girls are fun, no hard sell, genuine for the long term falang.

Pattaya gets bad press, but I know families that come back again and again, and some women love it too.