Hello folks

Looking for a little information. I am heading to Thailand to marry my fiance in May. I would like to set up a bank account for the 2 of us in Thailand while we await a visa(unfortunately a 6-12 month process) I am curious how to go about it, is it easy? are some banks much better then others ? How easy is it to transer funds ? Make the whole visa thing easier to be able to just put money in her account as well.

Any help is appreciated.

I set up a joint account with my wife with no problem.

The bank weren't even concerned whether she was my wife or not, never asked for a marriage certificate.

But you'll likely have to shop around for a branch that will open an account without a work permit.

And while you're at it get an account in your sole name as you may need it in future for visas for yourself.

Will your country accept a visa application with a joint account rather than her sole account?

The post seems to be talking about returning to there home country with new wife after visa is obtained so account seems to be for the period of wait (and nothing to do with Thai visa requirements).

Poster should arrange with there home bank for a means to SWIFT transfer funds after account here is set up without there having to return to do it. Only a passbook savings account is likenly to be available but that will allow transfer of funds into it and atm cards to withdraw.

Hello folks

Looking for a little information. I am heading to Thailand to marry my fiance in May. I would like to set up a bank account for the 2 of us in Thailand while we await a visa(unfortunately a 6-12 month process) I am curious how to go about it, is it easy? are some banks much better then others ? How easy is it to transer funds ? Make the whole visa thing easier to be able to just put money in her account as well.

Any help is appreciated.

I open tru the bangkok bank,no problem i just take my girlfriends adress there,just fill in some papper.

i trancefere mony tru my internetbank work great takes 2-3-days

My country does not want a joint bank account, I tried that already just to give her a bank card to an account here and if you can imagine they think I might be funding terrorist activity. How a few hundred dollars would be considered money laundering is ridiculous, but thats another story.

Being that a spousal visa for Canada can take 3-12 months I would like to set up an account for us in Thailand so that I can put money in it to assist with the visa and any other things we choose.

Preference is something in Bangkok so if anyone has bank names and addresses that would be great. Or if you have a story, would like to hear that too.