Murder With Impunity

marshbags

Bangkok Post 09-04-2008

Straight To The Point

Murder with impunity

By Jon Ungphakorn

I could imagine what lawyer Somchai Neelaphaijit felt as he gradually realised what was happening to him. I could easily imagine a similar event happening to anyone else in Thailand who dared to challenge the illegal actions of the police

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is an ordinary Friday morning.

You leave your office on Ratchadapisek Road at 9am to meet a client at Robinson Department Store, Bangrak. Accompanied by your assistant, you drive along the Expressway and park your car at the South Bangkok Civil Court, where you instruct your assistant to deliver some documents to another client. On arriving at the nearby Robinson Bangrak store, you telephone your client and find out that due to a misunderstanding he is waiting for you at the Robinson Silom store.

You take a taxi to the store and talk with your client for two hours, then take another taxi to the Central Bankruptcy Court where you meet up with your assistant again. Unknown to you, five mobile phone users are recorded as being close to you throughout the day.

It's 2:30pm. You drive back to your office on Ratchadapisek Soi 32, accompanied by your assistant. You stop at a gas station on Chan Road before getting on the Expressway. After spending two hours at the office, you drive to the Chaleena Hotel on Ramkamhaeng Soi 65 to meet a friend. Your assistant goes with you.

On the way you stop to pray at a mosque near the hotel and have a meal at a nearby restaurant. You arrive at the Chaleena Hotel around 7pm and wait for your friend for well over an hour before deciding to leave. You phone your daughter to tell her you are tired and will be staying the night at your brother's home nearby

Unquote

Ref url for the complete article, please go to :-

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=127000

One of many unsolved incidents, that sadly, are not considered important due to who,s who in relation to the usual self interest of certain prominent officials and there conflicts of interest / monetary gains as opposed to the rights of Thailands less fortunates who they are supposed to serve and more importantly, protect.

marshbags :o:D

Edited by marshbags

The last part of the article:

While Thai society allows the military, police and their political masters to remain immune from accountability with regard to state violence and murder, we are all responsible for these crimes.

Jon Ungphakorn is a former elected senator for Bangkok and a Thai NGO activist.

I hope Khun Ungphakorn has a good bodyguard.

Thank you marshbags for post. Agree that should he survive to write a book it would be well worth reading but if author did so, he would need to (don't know if you agree) report his knowledge in the form of a novel as did Stephen Leather in Private Dancer to try to maintain his safety. This

unfortunately diminishes the horror i.e. reading public might see this as sensationalism and generalisation and still nothing is done.

No easy answers certainly.

Thank you marshbags for post. Agree that should he survive to write a book it would be well worth reading but if author did so, he would need to (don't know if you agree) report his knowledge in the form of a novel as did Stephen Leather in Private Dancer to try to maintain his safety. This

unfortunately diminishes the horror i.e. reading public might see this as sensationalism and generalisation and still nothing is done.

Stephen Leather had the book written well before it was ever published - his normal publisher would not touch it and it was available free for years until publication a couple of years ago (3?) - I first heard of the existence of the book or that it was being written in 97 or more likely 98 and he was around a lot when it was not published and he was not hard to find in Jools if he was in town.

I doubt it was written to maintain his safety at all - have you asked him - I will next time I see him but its been nearly 2 years now as I do not stay in Thailand as much as I did

Edited by Prakanong

Sounds like Mexico, but honestly, I would not doubt these types of activities go on in every country. I am not saying it is right, it is not by all means. But I am saying people abuse authority when given the chance all over the world.

Never heard about the killings of an entire youth football team? What's that about?

They were murdered

While i cannot no longer locate the news articles related to this evil extermination of young innocent lives.

The NHRC published the following at the first inquest related to this.

The post-mortem / inquest of the 19 young men who were killed in Sabayoi on 28 April 2004

Naiyana Suphapueng, a commissioner from the National Human Rights Commission testified on 29 and 30 May bringing to light the conclusions of the NHRC fact-finding mission into the killings.

The mission concluded that there was no evidence supporting police allegations that the victims possessed heavy weapons and had attacked the police checkpoint as no weapons were found and no damage had occurred to the checkpoint.

Most of the bullet wounds of the victims were in the backs, refuting a crossfire situation, and autopsies were not properly handled. The commission urged that officers should be prosecuted if excessive force was used.

Moreover, three government officials, including two police officers, were scheduled to give evidence but failed to appear in court, a common tactic to delay proceedings.

Unquote

I will continue looking for updates and should i find any i will post them for you.

Perhaps Jai Dee or S.J. may be able to kindly assist me on this via the T. News clippings, should they read this and have time. ( Please )

Unfortunately a search i did was non productive.

marshbags

Re. Jim Jims question and for any other interested members who are not aware of this horrific incident.

The Nation 26-04-06

Quote:-

Shattered by horrific events

Published on April 29, 2006 - On the second anniversary of the bloody Krue Se Mosque incident, a community in Songkhla voices their disappointment and bitterness

Trying to come to terms with the tragic event two years ago today when 19 of their young men were gunned down, residents of this remote district in Songkhla province express sorrow, bitterness and disappointment over the lack of moral support at a time when they need it most.

Shattered by a chain of horrific events that ended in the death of at least 106 young men at the hands of government security forces, residents say they feel outsiders have largely disregarded the incident and that few care to understand - mostly they are just indifferent.

"District officials come by every now and then and people from the National Reconciliation Commis-sion (NRC) came to collect some information. That's all," said Udom Maepromi whose son, Maruding, was gunned down in questionable circumstances that eyewitnesses said could have been avoided.

Most of the men were believed to have been shot at close range - execution style.

The 19 young men, who formed a local soccer team for this district, were part of a network of more than 100 militants who carried out attacks against 10 police outposts across Pattani, Yala and Songkhla provinces on April 28, 2004.

For reasons still yet to be fully understood, these young men had armed themselves with not much more than knives and machetes and launched simultaneous attacks against heavily armed police. Outnumbered and outgunned, most were shot. A few escaped. At least 106 eventually died. Not wanting to see that their children had fallen in vain most, if not all, were buried as martyrs, in accordance with Islamic tradition.

Much of the spotlight on that day was focused on the historic Krue Se Mosque where 32 insurgents retreated after attacking local police outposts.

The seven hour stand-off ended when General Pallop Pinmanee, the most senior Army commander on the scene, ordered an all out assault on the mosque for fear that the militants, who were using loud speakers, would succeeded in arousing local villagers to attack the security forces.

What caused these young men to charge into a certain death remains a mystery for both local residents and state agencies. But when the dust settled, it became apparent that they went there to die. They wanted to be heard and gave up their lives willingly in pursuit of this objective.

But the pain and sorrow was clearly visibly in the faces of the relatives of the 19 yesterday. They gathered at the village cemetery to bid farewell, again, to their loved ones whom Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had conveniently dismissed as a bunch of "drug-crazed teenagers" caught up in some fanatical teachings.

Thaksin never explained how well over 100 supposedly doped-up young men had woken before dawn, prayed, meditated, sipped holy water and smeared themselves with holy oil - all common practices in Southeast Asia's Islamic folklore - and then launched simultaneous attacks in the three provinces.

It has been a very lonely two years, said the local kamnan, Manat Wani, who yesterday organised a pot-luck raffle for the local community in order to make themselves feel as normal as possible. Life goes on, he added.

In what was another attempt at normalcy, local young men have formed a new soccer club. They, too, attended yesterday's events to commemorate the tragedy.

But two years later officials and analysts continue to debate just why these young men marched willingly to a certain death.

An organisational manual, "Ber Jihad di Patani" (The Liberation of Pattani), found on several bodies of the militants does provide some clues. The booklet was essentially to motivate the militants and called on them to rise up against the Thai state and liberate the Malay region from the "foreign occupiers".

Experts said it contained no theology - and yet some government officials went as far as calling it "the new Koran".

Paisal Rattana

The Nation

Saba Yoi

Unquote.

It is more shocking to me now than when it happened, so many young lives lost in the name of nothing more than a government extermination of young muslim lives, who were deemed unimportant and expendable.

Shame on all who were part of what took place, along with the " CEO "of the government who oversaw the ongoing events, approved of all that happened and must in turn, therefore, be made accountable, in full.

marshbags :o

There was a seperate article relating to the football team, with even more disturbing information, but sadly, it cannot be located at the present time.

There only crime ( if they wish to intepret it as such ) was to try and defend themselves to fend off / try and protect themselves from the ongoing agressive and life threatening actions of the police and the authorities they encountered.

Edited by marshbags

Stephen Leather had the book written well before it was ever published - his normal publisher would not touch it and it was available free for years until publication a couple of years ago (3?) - I first heard of the existence of the book or that it was being written in 97 or more likely 98 and he was around a lot when it was not published and he was not hard to find in Jools if he was in town.

I doubt it was written to maintain his safety at all - have you asked him - I will next time I see him but its been nearly 2 years now as I do not stay in Thailand as much as I did

Possibly he had difficulty in finding a publisher because it is slovenly badly written trash.However there's no underestimating the public's taste and I expect there are a quite a few who find it an insightful view of Thai bar culture.

Possibly he had difficulty in finding a publisher because it is slovenly badly written trash.However there's no underestimating the public's taste and I expect there are a quite a few who find it an insightful view of Thai bar culture.

I have forgotten how many Thai websites, posts and/or people I have heard saying it is the bible for bar girl relationships :o:D

I did hear though about 10 years ago the working title was, "The Sad F%^&s" - :D

His publisher of the thrillers he writes said it did not "Fit" if I remember correctly.

I have forgotten how many Thai websites, posts and/or people I have heard saying it is the bible for bar girl relationships :o:D

I did hear though about 10 years ago the working title was, "The Sad F%^&s" - :D

His publisher of the thrillers he writes said it did not "Fit" if I remember correctly.

I met ths guy and he told me that the book was fiction.... And the book is crap, so not sure why he gets so much "air time" on this forum..

Just another farang living in the bar scene........ BIG YAWN.

I met ths guy and he told me that the book was fiction.... And the book is crap, so not sure why he gets so much "air time" on this forum..

Gets air time because a lot of visa running sexpats got ripped off by bargirls before settling down as "expats" complete with yellow shirts, manboobs, hand me down Thai nationalism of a particularly moronic kind(chaiyo chaiyo) and snub nosed little wife.They regard "bargirl took my redundancy money" stories by hacks like Leather as nostalgic rites of passage which they recommend to more recently arrived versions of their former selves as "literature".

Yes the book is fiction but it is based closely or loosely (some say one and others different) on what happened to him.

Read the non-fiction account that as published first in Esquire I think it was - the book came after that.

The girl was from Voodoo Bar and the Thai hubby the DJ there - the bar in the book is Jools and a lot of the characters resemble a few guys who used to go in there.

"Gets air time because a lot of visa running sexpats got ripped off by bargirls before settling down as "expats" complete with yellow shirts, manboobs, hand me down Thai nationalism of a particularly moronic kind(chaiyo chaiyo) and snub nosed little wife.They regard "bargirl took my redundancy money" stories by hacks like Leather as nostalgic rites of passage which they recommend to more recently arrived versions of their former selves as "literature". "

Ouch - say what you really mean :D:o

"Gets air time because a lot of visa running sexpats got ripped off by bargirls before settling down as "expats" complete with yellow shirts, manboobs, hand me down Thai nationalism of a particularly moronic kind(chaiyo chaiyo) and snub nosed little wife.They regard "bargirl took my redundancy money" stories by hacks like Leather as nostalgic rites of passage which they recommend to more recently arrived versions of their former selves as "literature". "

Ouch - say what you really mean :D:o

A bit of a tease though with some elements of truth.For a more charming -though overlong- version of the old old story try Jack Reynolds' "Woman of Bangkok", now out of print I'm afraid but totally free of Leather's prolix vulgarity and lack of subtlety.

Gets air time because a lot of visa running sexpats got ripped off by bargirls before settling down as "expats" complete with yellow shirts, manboobs, hand me down Thai nationalism of a particularly moronic kind(chaiyo chaiyo) and snub nosed little wife.They regard "bargirl took my redundancy money" stories by hacks like Leather as nostalgic rites of passage which they recommend to more recently arrived versions of their former selves as "literature".

Living the Private Dancer era

- copy Chang singlet

- drinks Beer Sing in coupious quantities

- hangs out at nana Plaza in Angelwitch

- listens to Foreigner and other <deleted> foreign muck

- many girlfriends from Surin

- works as english teacher + spending retirement funds from previous life as a plumber slash chippie

- sets new records for purchasing condoms at 7:11

- 'but she is different' said more than 100 times per day

Reminiscing about the Private Dancer as great literature

- copy lacotes T polo shirt

- drinks 45 degree at home; 1 stubbie on a night out

- hangs out at Grace Hotel and the Thermae

- listens to Mor Lum and possibly Loso - fortunately doesn't understand any words

- wife from Sisaket, MIA in the Pattaya region

- works in boiler room sharemarket scam operation, moonlights selling timeshare or possibly escorts ladies into Japan

- sets new records for sips of one single beer yet not finishing the entire bottle

- 'they are all the same' said more than 100 times per day

Ah the good old days. Gosh I miss a bit of Foreigner.

This is well off topic now, why is it every thread within 5-6 posts vear off topic? cant anyone concentrate out there. This topic could off been great but now we have to read all of this cr-p about private Dancer which has been brought up many other times on other threads.

Guy's. sit back and concentrate. the thread started out about police kidnap and murder! not fiction books.

This is well off topic now, why is it every thread within 5-6 posts vear off topic? cant anyone concentrate out there. This topic could off been great but now we have to read all of this cr-p about private Dancer which has been brought up many other times on other threads.

Guy's. sit back and concentrate. the thread started out about police kidnap and murder! not fiction books.

If I recall correctly, there is some murder action in Private Dancer.

I may just have to go and download a copy of it, is it still available somewhere online?

It ranks right up there with those horrendous 'artistic photo books' of some other sex crazed madman who used to take pictures featuring women of the night with faces suitable for a career in radio, then publish as an artistic insight into Thai culture.

Oh yes, the splendor of seeing Nonthaburi's finest, emersed up to her armpits in putrid klong water; BAM I feel like I learned something about culture right there.

I cannot for the life of me recall his name - er - Bangkok Phil or something else? (cue old joke) the books have a lively trade on ebay; the unsigned copies are the ones that go for the highest prices, apparently as rare as hens teeth!

"It ranks right up there with those horrendous 'artistic photo books' of some other sex crazed madman who used to take pictures featuring women of the night with faces suitable for a career in radio, then publish as an artistic insight into Thai culture."

That's not Bangkok Phil - he was an English teacher from Brummie with a website

The person you refer to used to post on here and used to rile some people ;-))

PS: Private Dancer era was pre AngleWitch although the girl on the cover is a AW girl and pic taken by Stickman - I really know some rubbish - I wish I could retain academic knowledge like this although Henry Minztberg's Startagy Safaris is interesting enough

.....and what Corn Flakes box did you get your moral superiority out of ?

.....and what Corn Flakes box did you get your moral superiority out of ?

Superbaby Cornflakes. The cornflakes that won't leave you hungry for more.

Prakanong -

Your level of knowledge for bar based trivia knows no bounds.

Superbaby in Soi diamond have their own range of cornflakes? :o

I know nothing about Taipei bar's though and am supposed to be taking a Burmese, and Indian and an Aussie to one next week - this should be a laugh as none of us can speak Mandarin and I dare not ask my mandarin speaking assistant along on this little boy's night out - she is just too sensitive.

Living the Private Dancer era

- copy Chang singlet

- drinks Beer Sing in coupious quantities

- hangs out at nana Plaza in Angelwitch

- listens to Foreigner and other <deleted> foreign muck

- many girlfriends from Surin

- works as english teacher + spending retirement funds from previous life as a plumber slash chippie

- sets new records for purchasing condoms at 7:11

- 'but she is different' said more than 100 times per day

Reminiscing about the Private Dancer as great literature

- copy lacotes T polo shirt

- drinks 45 degree at home; 1 stubbie on a night out

- hangs out at Grace Hotel and the Thermae

- listens to Mor Lum and possibly Loso - fortunately doesn't understand any words

- wife from Sisaket, MIA in the Pattaya region

- works in boiler room sharemarket scam operation, moonlights selling timeshare or possibly escorts ladies into Japan

- sets new records for sips of one single beer yet not finishing the entire bottle

- 'they are all the same' said more than 100 times per day

Ah the good old days. Gosh I miss a bit of Foreigner.

Get a native speaker tto help you with your spelling/grammar.

steveromagnino

"

I cannot for the life of me recall his name - er - Bangkok Phil or something else? (cue old joke) the books have a lively trade on ebay; the unsigned copies are the ones that go for the highest prices, apparently as rare as hens teeth! "

:o:D :D

^ does it really matter??

BTW,

"Get a native speaker tto help you with your spelling/grammar."

1 t in to.. lol

Yes, Newbie, if one wants to sound even remotely credible on an international forum such as this.

Newbie? :o If you only knew.. I have been on this forum since 2003 actually. wink wink! and have lived here 12 years and speak the language..

But thanks Dad for your help... now again there is 1 t in to, not 2..

**flame removed--sbk***

Edited by sbk