Blueberries

Neeranam

Do they grow in Isarn or anywhere in Thailand?

I believe the short answer is no, blueberries prefer a cold winter dormant period, the old varieties did best if under a cover of snow during winter ,but I believe some new varieties are grown in the USA in areas of milder winters.

a couple of years ago i bought deep frozen blueberries in Foodland, Pattaya (imported from Canada). never found them again :o

Have seen them quite regularly at Carrefour in Pattaya. I go so often I cannot remember whether there is a season or not. None yesterday I know as I looked for cherries which are kept in the same area.

I believe the short answer is no, blueberries prefer a cold winter dormant period, the old varieties did best if under a cover of snow during winter ,but I believe some new varieties are grown in the USA in areas of milder winters.

Actually blueberries can be (are) grown in tropical areas. Someone is trying to grow them in Laos but they planted them in a high pH soil whereas they need a low pH soil. The varieties are from Florida.

Actually blueberries can be (are) grown in tropical areas. Someone is trying to grow them in Laos but they planted them in a high pH soil whereas they need a low pH soil. The varieties are from Florida.

Azalia,s which are the same family as blueberries can be grown here also ,but not very successfully, with a fruit bearer it is whether they can be grown profitably or not.

I know! I miss blueberries!! I tried to grow some too in a controlled environment -but I knew they wouldn't grow since I have got to be one of the world's worst gardeners.

They have been in Makro in Chonburi every time I've shopped there. In the frozen section.

Azalia,s which are the same family as blueberries can be grown here also ,but not very successfully, with a fruit bearer it is whether they can be grown profitably or not.

Yes you're right. I've been thinking of (profitably) growing blueberries out here for many years and I hope that one day I will have a chance to try. I will let you know if and when I succeed!

Yes you're right. I've been thinking of (profitably) growing blueberries out here for many years and I hope that one day I will have a chance to try. I will let you know if and when I succeed!

Thanks JB, fresh blueberries ,Yummy.

We tried to grow the old varieties in the temperate climate in Tasmania many years ago,but we were to near the coast,although the Ag Dept Research farm which is inland and higher elevation (colder winter) had some success.

Thanks JB, fresh blueberries ,Yummy.

We tried to grow the old varieties in the temperate climate in Tasmania many years ago,but we were to near the coast,although the Ag Dept Research farm which is inland and higher elevation (colder winter) had some success.

I have seen Blueberries growing in Doi Angkan station (King Project site) in Chaing mai province 4 years ago but re visiting last year they were pulled out. I believe the genetic material came out of Victoria or Tasmania (Maybe 8 years ago). Even at that elevation I think the results were not so great - very small and bitter fruit. However Raspberries are more suited to some of the mountain tops in Thailand and can be grown on elevations over 1000m. Not sure of Laos project but there are 2 operating projects in Dalat in Vietnam. Vigour is not a problem, pH actually needs to be adjusted to about neutral, irrigation is important, and most of those plantations were covered tunnels for protection in rainy season. Cooloing down fruit temperature after harvest is important. However those guys over in VN still struggle with sweetness and shelflife....

I often buy deep frozen blueberries in Tesco's, they also have strawberries, Apricots, Blackberries, French + English peas, Baby carrots, Broad Beans

Tesco on the Bang Yai Rd......... never found in Big C or Carrefour at Bang Yai

i am not a farmer but i do know as former resident of Michigan and of Florida that blueberries are grown in either climate in the colder climate they grow similar to strawberry plants close to the ground and prefer indirect sunlight. In hot climate they grow rather like a small bush and can take a bit more sun. The hot climate berry is larger and not quite as flavorful but tasty nonetheless. It might be noted though in either case they grow best in sandy soil