Key Money For Shophouse In Lamai

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what this means; I am pretty sure that company ownership in Thailand is not different for one nationality over another (excluding Thais). If you have a link to a site that confirms this, I'm all ears (or eyes). I don't believe that just because you are an American you can have what no other nationality can get.

Ok, #1, you're wrong and it is.

2. Maybe you should RTFF (and the countless reference's to the Amity Treaty). Or if YOU still can't find satisfaction to your question go ahead and email Sunbeltasia and they can help you there.

3. I don't want to get into a verbal sparring match with you or anyone else, but I feel as though I must defend myself from all the doom and gloom. The only reason I listed my credentials is because you listed yours first and I wanted to "set your minds at ease" as to my qualifications.

4. Please save your "doom and gloom/nobody makes a baht here" speech for the pentioner opening the beer bar. As you can clearly see I am not him. Let's get real for a minute. Everywhere you go to start a business there are unique problems and challenges. But, if you have experience, a plan, some capital and a decent business sense you're going to make it whether it's Moscow, Taiwan, Boston or Bangkok.

5. I already regret sending this as your superior Journalism skills will pick my meager attempt at a response apart.

Joey, from a completely neutral persepective, i firstly want to wish you good luck because i have a feeling that you're going to need it.

You do seem to come accross in a way that i am sure will rub people up the wrong way though.

Having pride in yourself & your qualifications is fine, nothing wrong with that, but you REALLY should listen to people that even that maybe are not as qualified as you are, are in my opinion ahead of you because they have had the experience of it & you shouldn't shouldn't dismiss the " doom & gloom " either..

You can go to as many Colleges as you want, pass as many Courses as you want, read as many Textboks as you want, but let me tell you a secret, this place ( Thailand ) & Samui in particular, is like no other place or Country that i have experienced in my life with regards to Business..

NO Textbook or College can prepare you for what it is really like..

Good luck..

Wow! Where do I start. Let just say that I only wanted some advice on KM issues in Lamai. But, as with anyone attempting to break thru the "we're here and no one else can make a penny" blockade of negativity, I felt compelled to list the prudent steps I've taken to give me the best possible chance of succeeding. Along with my creditials as they were called into question as to my being able to run a simple shop in Thailand. That is not "smug" or "arrogant", but simply defending myself from the attacks against my business potential.

You do seem to come accross in a way that i am sure will rub people up the wrong way though

Why because I defend my point of view as vigously as the people trying to discredit my business plans. Or because I'm trying to fight back against the wave of misinformation. I'm sorry that the US and Thailand signed an Amity Treaty 40 yrs ago and that most of the people on this board weren't notified.

I know, that's why I have spent 10 years running stores in the US. That's why I've come to Samui 3 times in the last year. That's why I read every relevent forum topic regarding foriegn business in Thailand. I just don't think some people on this board can except the fact that others have done their homework and are as fully prepared as they can be. No business, anywhere is 100% fullproof. All you can do is try to be as fully prepared as you can and leave no stone unturned in your search.

ThaiVisa already has a page describing the Treaty of Amity : Treaty of Amity Benefits How to Register for Treaty of Amity Benefits for American Companies? and here on the Thai Embassy website is the full copy of the Treaty, all of which may answer any questions the OP might have had about that.

The OP doesn't have any questions about the Amity Treaty, but many others sure seem to.

I must admit that I didn't know that Americans could own Thai companies 100%. I take it that when you say Americans, you mean USA as opposed to Canadians, Mexicans, Panamanians etc,etc, all of whom are Americans?

Eric you must be from Europe. No one from the "Continent of America" would say something like that. If American offends you can please suggest an alternative so as not to offend any of my Northern and Southern brothers? How about USAian? Or United States of American?

Go to Canada, Mexico, or Panama and call them Americans and I think you'll be surprised at the response. Citizens from Canada are called Canadians. Not Americans or Canadian Americans. They are proud of their nationality as they well should be.

I'm from the United States of America. We usually just say USA, the US or the States. But, we refer to ourselves as Americans. When the US Olympic team competes in Beijing in 4 months, the anouncer will say "the American athlete jumped 12 meters". The Canadian, Mexican and Panamanian will be addressed likewise. I hope this clears things up for you.

If it were The United Panamanian States of America then you would have a point.

And an American cannot own a Thai company 100%. They can own an American company in Thailand 100%.

What is "this field"?

The same as yours only with a minor in Marketing. My experince is in Retail Sales and Marketing. I curruently run a store in the US with revenue exceeding $1M a month. This is what I do for a living and why I went to college (and to play college football). I have studied this situation for a year now and have looked at all the pros/cons. I'm not looking to become a millionare or to move permanately maybe 3-7 yrs (but who knows). My start-up cost is very low and my break-even sales are such that I could easily weather the low seasons. I have read this forum (and others) backward and forward. I'm not some pensioner who worked the last 30 yrs in IT (or whatever) and now wants to open a beer bar.

MW, most of your experience seems to be in Journalism and teaching English. Which is fine, but mine is directly related to the day in - day out running of a business. The fact that you cannot think of a business that "makes money" is probably directly related to your choice of careers. Some people see what others don't. You see stories and unique and creative ways to tell them. I see business opportunities. Trust me, when I say that the fact you don't see "them" is very encouraging to me.

I have waited 1 yr and will wait 1 more before making the jump. I appreciate all the advice, but I have looked at this from every angle. So I don't enter into this lightly. And let's get real for a second. We're not talking about curing cancer or rocket science here.

I also would never even attempt this if it were not for the fact that I'm able to own MY company 100%. I'll be damned if I'm going to take all the risk, come up with an idea, do all the grunt work only to turn half of it over some lady running a noodle cart next to Family Mart. I'm surprised more Americans aren't here doing the same thing (well, not really, but that's a whole other topic for another day).

I met an English guy on Samui who had no idea that AMericans could own their companies 100%. He told me he to pay off his thai "noodle cart" guy for 2 million baht then went to Malaysia to restucture the company. I could never do that.

I must admit that I didn't know that Americans could own Thai companies 100%. I take it that when you say Americans, you mean USA as opposed to Canadians, Mexicans, Panamanians etc,etc, all of whom are Americans?

Eric, aren't we touchy, let's NOT have this thread turn into an anti-American one, please ppl.

Wow! Where do I start. Let just say that I only wanted some advice on KM issues in Lamai. But, as with anyone attempting to break thru the "we're here and no one else can make a penny" blockade of negativity, I felt compelled to list the prudent steps I've taken to give me the best possible chance of succeeding. Along with my creditials as they were called into question as to my being able to run a simple shop in Thailand. That is not "smug" or "arrogant", but simply defending myself from the attacks against my business potential.
You do seem to come accross in a way that i am sure will rub people up the wrong way though

Why because I defend my point of view as vigously as the people trying to discredit my business plans. Or because I'm trying to fight back against the wave of misinformation. I'm sorry that the US and Thailand signed an Amity Treaty 40 yrs ago and that most of the people on this board weren't notified.

I know, that's why I have spent 10 years running stores in the US. That's why I've come to Samui 3 times in the last year. That's why I read every relevent forum topic regarding foriegn business in Thailand. I just don't think some people on this board can except the fact that others have done their homework and are as fully prepared as they can be. No business, anywhere is 100% fullproof. All you can do is try to be as fully prepared as you can and leave no stone unturned in your search.

1 ) Who's been trying to discreit your Busines plan ?? I've read over this post & you haven't even disclosed your Business Plan so how can/would anyone attemot to discredit it ?? :o Perhaps the " smug " & " arrogant " words that you use are because of the way you seem to dismiss the, in your own ords, misinformation ?? It's not misinformation in the slightest you have to think that the negativety as you call it, is possibly there for a reason ??

2 ) All i can say after reading you reply is that you have a whole world of learning still to do Joey & i don't mean to sound smug or arrogant when i say that, it's just a fact Mate & i'll say it again, you can do 10 years running stores in teh States, 100 years running stores in the States, you can read every relevent Forum with regards to small business in Thailand but that STILL won't prepare you for the way Business is done in this Country on a daily basis if you have to have direct contact with the Locals...

But you're right, no Business is 100% fullproof & as long as you do try to leave no stone unturned, you might just have a better chance of running a successful Business than others do..

Good luck again.. :D

MSingh,

Sorry if I come across wrong. But, I'm just trying to defend my point of view against everyone who "comes out of the woodwork" everytime someone mentions opening a business in Thailand.

When I say Business Plan I'm simply referring to my intentions of running a business in SAmui. I have no intentions (nor would anyone else), of laying out my concept and ideas on the WWW for anyone to copy and exploit.

The "misinformation" was in reference to the collective shock and dismay regarding the existence of the Amity Treaty. It is not about the grave warnings many have about starting a business here.

I have not dismissed ANY information! In fact just the opposite! I've been reading this forum for a while now and everything I've read has led me to the place I am now. Good, bad and other. If posters had painted Samui as some "Utopian Garden of Eden" I would have been equally sceptical. I've considered all the possible pitfalls and dangers. After looking at each and every one, I've decided that MY particular plan is still very much doable.

As i understand it, following the present laws of the universe, there is no way to gain experience in anything without actual DOING that said activity. Do I have experience owning a business in Samui. No. But Christopher Columbus didn't have any experience discovering new worlds either. But, he did have experience as a sailor. No astronaut ever "had experience" landing on the Moon until they actually did it. If they listened to you they would still be on Earth debating the pros/cons, because even 100 years of training CANNOT fully prepare you for a journey to another planet! Right or wrong?

I think this quote is fitting,"Good judgement comes from experience, Experience comes from bad judgement."

I'm sorry and I apologize for the fact that I will not be able to own and run a business in Thailand before I actually own and run a business in Thailand.

You're not wrong Joey & i never said you were but i am only giving you advice & advice that i hope you take up becuase, for the 3rd time, you can never be prepared for the way that people do Business in this Country & especially on this Island..

You will soon realise that your Business philosphies & ideas will have to be adjusted because of this..

Yours & my idea of Business & everyone with a Western mindset soon has to adjust when doing Business in this Country, especially if in whatever line of Business you'll be doing, you have to involve the locals.

Choke dee Joey.. :o

people trying to discredit my business plans…

When I say Business Plan I'm simply referring to my intentions of running a business in SAmui. I have no intentions (nor would anyone else), of laying out my concept and ideas on the WWW for anyone to copy and exploit.

So you are miffed that people are "trying to discredit" your business plan which you haven't revealed and have no intention of doing online. Uh, OK. So far, so good.

The only reason I listed my credentials is because you listed yours first and I wanted to "set your minds at ease" as to my qualifications.

Uh, best look at the posts. You were the one who first offered up the info about your college education and years of work experience, not anyone else.

you can do 10 years running stores in the States, 100 years running stores in the States, you can read every relevant Forum with regards to small business in Thailand but that STILL won't prepare you for the way Business is done in this Country on a daily basis if you have to have direct contact with the Locals.

You know, this is hard to accept for someone who hasn't the experience in Asia, but it is ever so true.

OK, look. You asked about key money (did you try Google? Wiki?) and were given a number of suggestions, not all home runs, but that's to be expected.

HOWEVER, there is now one thing that strikes me and probably others very resoundingly: whatever your pretensions are to being a "winner" or a prescient business person, I have to say that your attitude shows that you need to do some serious thinking about this whole thing. You are FAR too defensive and confrontational. The guy who went off on Canadians or North Americans…you actually read the whole post? That's just a red herring post. You respond like a moth round a flame.

No one as far as I can see wants you to fail, but people are prepared to try and give you the unvarnished truth as they see it. Many of the people here have either first-hand experience with business or are long-term residents and have seen the nature of things up close.

Personally, I don't care if you succeed or not, but I am very interested in seeing you try. If it works great (maybe you have a service or product I want myself), if it doesn't, well, join the long line of people who tried to reinvent the wheel in Koh Samui.

I CAN TELL YOU that being so thin skinned and lacking in patience online indicates that you will probably find yourself in a number of pickles here in Thailand. Two years of living here all the time and I seem to learn something about the way the Thais do things every day. And not a day goes by that I don't think, "This is hard for me. Many of the ways and sensibilities of the people are absolutely 180 degrees away from my ingrained habits and sense of 'right and wrong' and 'how things are done.'"

By the way, I have to scratch my head when I read that living in a shop is acceptable to you. Why come to Koh Samui if not to at least enjoy the comforts of living here in a home? Many people come here to live because of the nice places you can rent for comparatively little. For my own part, I pay a little more for a view of the ocean and am only about 30 or 40 meters from the beach. Coming to "paradise" and living in the back of a shop (we know how those are) seems counterintuitive.

Anyway, you might want to keep in mind that I, and basically everyone else, is not out to get you or attack you or defame you or whatever it is you think is going on. If someone doesn't know the difference between the Treaty of Amity and the Amityville Horror there is no reason to get defensive about it.

To conclude, Thais loathe confrontation and those quick to anger or draw unfounded conclusions. Your attitude may turn plowshears into swords against you.

(By the way, the Treaty of Amity has everything to do with established American companies setting up shop in Thailand and nothing to do with Americans coming to start a fresh business in Thailand.)

Oh, and happy new year......(splash....)

But, if you have experience, a plan, some capital and a decent business sense you're going to make it whether it's Moscow, Taiwan, Boston or Bangkok.

endquote

ho ho ho.

remember you said that when it all gets muddy.

it seems you so far understand very little about doing bisiness in a thai resort location.

how many make money in Lamai? 10% maybe

how many are farangs? 10% of the above 10% maybe.

what makes you so special?

BTW you REALLY sound like an AMERICAN

Thais loathe confrontation and those quick to anger or draw unfounded conclusions. Your attitude may turn plowshears into swords against you.

I think you'll find that I'm one of the most laidback people in "real" life. This is not real life. This is cyberspace. This is where people hide behind their keyboards and hurl misinformation around like "buckets at Songkron". This is where anyone, anywhere can say anything they want irrellevant of the facts. I hate to see fiction presented as fact. Though, looking back I should have said nothing and just left people with their inaccuracies.

The reason I have gotten defensive is the simple nature of a "cornered animal". I'm saying I think I have an idea that might work in Samui and would like to try and make a go of it. Evryone else is saying "no chance in hel_l, Mate." In a pure debate format, it's in my nature to fight back and list the reasons why I won't. I appreciate all the advice and criticism's. i really do. But, like I said. I know the risks, I've RTFF's, I've given myself the best possible chance to succeed. That's about all I can really do and probably alot more than most. I get it, Samui is an extremely unique market frought with many pitfalls and little chance for success, no one makes any profit, you're stupid for even trying. I get it, I really do.

I'm sure many of you would find me in "real life" very unassuming and happy go lucky. Do you really think I would be this confrontational in Thailand or worse directly to Thai's. No, of course not. And if you saw me in person you would know why. I'm sure many of you are different in real life as apposed to online forums. (God I hope so anyway, otherwise there is a lot of Prozac being sold in Samui) So let's just assume that I'm less confrontational and you're less negative.

(By the way, the Treaty of Amity has everything to do with established American companies setting up shop in Thailand and nothing to do with Americans coming to start a fresh business in Thailand.)

Wow, Mark you've really come around! Yesterday it was "no way in hel_l" and now your tune is "this doesn't apply to you." Let me know what's on tap for tomorrow. Perhaps it's "Denial isn't just a river in Egypt"!!

If you really believe that, then you obviously spent more time in the dark room than the classroom!

joeyb wrote:

This is cyberspace. This is where people hide behind their keyboards and hurl misinformation around like "buckets at Songkron".

Do you think the name "Mark Wolfe" is fake? What misinformation have I "hurled"?

joeyb wrote:

The reason I have gotten defensive is the simple nature of a "cornered animal".

No one has cornered you. People are just answering your call and adding their opinions. If you feel threatened, it's in your mind. REMEMBER, you have not given anyone solid information on WHAT it is you actually want to do.

(BY THE WAY, whatever became of the gentleman who was going to open the tobacco shop in the new strip mall in Chaweng? Or is this the same fellow?)

Mark Wolfe wrote:

joeyb responded:

Wow, Mark you've really come around! Yesterday it was "no way in hel_l" and now your tune is "this doesn't apply to you."

Sigh...You were speaking, and apparently still are, of SETTING UP A NEW VENTURE in Samui, NOT opening your company from the US in Thailand. If I misread this, please correct me.

As if I need to explain myself, my second comment on the treaty was after investigating the helpfully provided links. Are you pillorying me for actually trying to help in the discussion by educating myself?

Please answer me this: Is my above pull quote from my previous post true or false? If it is true and you are setting up a new business, I don't see how the treaty applies to you.

By the way, instead of you now posting something along the lines of: "OK guys, you're right. I was a little testy back there. Sorry. Anything you might want to add is all useful to me. Although I have been doing some investigation work there in Thailand, I appreciate that those of you with years of experience have much to suggest to me. As for the rabblerousers to my cause, well, I appreciate your input too,"

you go back to "<deleted>! I'm cornered! Must shore up the defenses!"

------------------

1. I am exactly the same person in real life as the posts I make indicate. If you think I am an arrogant asshol_e here, you will think the same in person. If you think I might has some salient comments here, you will most likely think the same if you were to meet me.

2. Mark Lamai:

BTW you REALLY sound like an AMERICAN
Do I also?

Joeyb,

you can set here a business, you can make money here with a good idea, no problem. Just dont pay 2 M.THB key money!

It is a very good market for lessees these days and if you wait until june many more shopowners will kiss your hand if you are willing to sign a lesse. Try to send a Thai gf or friend to negotiate.

WOW TALK ABOUT GOING OF THE TOPIC, this post should be closed or renamed although what you would call it i dont know

Perhaps posters would like to join in some of the ongoing discussion in the business forum regarding the Treaty of Amity and businesses instead.

Process Of Establishing Amity Company?

100% Foreign Ownership Of Thai Companies?

And let's dispense with the personal attacks, thanks.

A little advise (but please listen to most of the other's on this board) - Thai's dont like confrontation, it is their way or you take the highway. I think you got alot to learn.

A little advise: Live in thailand first to get to know how it works. Leave your American attitude at home, most people dont really like it and particular in Thailand where quietness is gold.

ThaiVisa already has a page describing the Treaty of Amity : Treaty of Amity Benefits How to Register for Treaty of Amity Benefits for American Companies? and here on the Thai Embassy website is the full copy of the Treaty, all of which may answer any questions the OP might have had about that.

A little advise: Forget about your text book study and learn as a foreigner in Thailand you have no rights. If you want to prove your point then be prepared to jump alot of hurdles and spend the rest of your life chasing them.

Simply put, you will grow old if not die before your point is even listened to.

The OP doesn't have any questions about the Amity Treaty, but many others sure seem to.

Joey, with all due respect, I think better you stay in the outback of your homebase before you start tackling your venture in Thailand.

Good Luck!!

Joey, you have to accept the contructive criticism in this thread. I'm not sure how long you have been a member, but usually you are forced to skip 90% of the thread posting (mostly huge quotes!) and find the info you want. You claim :

"I know, that's why I have spent 10 years running stores in the US. That's why I've come to Samui 3 times in the last year. That's why I read every relevent forum topic regarding foriegn business in Thailand. I just don't think some people on this board can except the fact that others have done their homework and are as fully prepared as they can be. No business, anywhere is 100% fullproof. All you can do is try to be as fully prepared as you can and leave no stone unturned in your search."

yet you still don't know whether the 2 mill key money is correct? If you are lacking information on the key money, you are more likely lacking information on other things too, it's just a case of extracting that from the data presented here. In the time I have seen Marke Wolfe post, for example, he tends to write very well and rarely states an opinion as fact, for you to not only ignore his advice but attempt a pointless, timewasting mudslinging match is evidence of the arrogance you are accused.

Joey, you have to accept the contructive criticism in this thread

Too bad I was at work. Sounds like I missed a lot of "really good" constructive criticism"!!

yet you still don't know whether the 2 mill key money is correct?

I never once asked about this once. RTFF. Not once. I was the one who stated that this was a sample price of a very nice location in Lamai. Then I stated that I would NEVER pay this much! Again, can you please read the OP before responding to questions that have never been asked!?! Try and focus your attention to the words between the capital letter and the puncuation mark.

Thank you to Jens, Claude, and Jean for actually posting relevent advice regarding my original question. I appreciate the info. It seems others here are upset at the existence of the AMity Treaty and others still that I am an American. In both cases, I say, too bad. All I have tried to do from the beginning of the "you'll never make it - don't even try, you'll never make a baht - don't even try" barrage, is to make the argument that I have taken all the steps and precautions to give myself the best chance to succeed. How is that arrogant or smug? Many of you won't stop until the OP raises the "white flag" and vows never to even consider the idea again and you can go back to having the island all to yourselves. Sorry, that just isn't in my nature.

How many people had experience living on Koh Samui before they actually lived on Koh Samui?? OK, by a show of hands, it looks like we'll be in the same boat. Oh, and don't forget...

God Bless America!!

Joey, you have to accept the contructive criticism in this thread

Too bad I was at work. Sounds like I missed a lot of "really good" constructive criticism"!!

yet you still don't know whether the 2 mill key money is correct?

I never once asked about this once. RTFF. Not once. I was the one who stated that this was a sample price of a very nice location in Lamai. Then I stated that I would NEVER pay this much! Again, can you please read the OP before responding to questions that have never been asked!?! Try and focus your attention to the words between the capital letter and the puncuation mark.

Thank you to Jens, Claude, and Jean for actually posting relevent advice regarding my original question. I appreciate the info. It seems others here are upset at the existence of the AMity Treaty and others still that I am an American. In both cases, I say, too bad. All I have tried to do from the beginning of the "you'll never make it - don't even try, you'll never make a baht - don't even try" barrage, is to make the argument that I have taken all the steps and precautions to give myself the best chance to succeed. How is that arrogant or smug? Many of you won't stop until the OP raises the "white flag" and vows never to even consider the idea again and you can go back to having the island all to yourselves. Sorry, that just isn't in my nature.

How many people had experience living on Koh Samui before they actually lived on Koh Samui?? OK, by a show of hands, it looks like we'll be in the same boat. Oh, and don't forget...

God Bless America!!

Good luck with your endeavour. Key money is forward rent, pay the guys tax & you can amorise it as a tax deduction for a few years.Re Amity Co, after speaking to 2 lawyers I still have my doubts.

How long have I visited Samui before I lived here? 7 Years, average 3-5 months a year.Live here perm 4+ years.

Edited by Rooo

Interesting thread but Joey what is the girls name??

Good luck mate

Bingo! LOL.....

Joeyb wrote:

...others here are upset at the existence of the AMity Treaty...

Unset? That's a non sequitor.

Instead of directing me to something useful that might fill in the gaps in my knowledge that you seem to think need filling on the treaty, you stage manage some infantile rant. (Insert smiley shaking his head)

Thanks to SBK for the links.

I still think living in the back or above a shop is a pretty lousy way to exist on this "Paradise Isle." This begs the question, Why Samui? If ChangMaiSausage isn't spot on, then why come to a nice island only to live in a shop? I realize that you can get out and walk to the beach and so on, but people tend to spend much of their time at home here too (It's called "where you live").

But maybe you are cash-strapped and have no other choice.

As I said before, key money is the sword of Damocles hanging over your head until you sell the place (or in the unlikely event that you make enough profit to cover this outlay, which will take some time).

Places that don't ask for key money, as I have seen, generally are those that are not in prime locations.

Some people do, however, think that they have the right deal and that people will come to them regardless. It's the "If you build it, they will come" attitude.

There's a new pub on the road to the market and a eatery next to it, "Aces" or something it's called? No one has yet rented the other units in this new strip (for you Americans out there not familiar with the new trend in Lamai, it's building a row of shops that look much like storage units in the States -- one medium sized rectangular room on the floor, bathroom in back and an upstairs for the live-in room [sometimes separated into two rooms]. The units look something like garages lined side by side. They are ugly and utilitarian.)

It seems that the person in charge has put some money into the place, but as even an idiot like me knows, there are only three things that are important in setting up a business: location, location, location.

And, sadly, this isn't a good one.

So, the best thing for a person to do is to find the right location for the business and then negotiate for the best rent/key money etc, you can.

If you don't do this, in the end you might save money on the key money, but be stuck with a location that doesn't give your business a fighting chance.

Edited by Mark Wolfe

Re Amity Co, after speaking to 2 lawyers I still have my doubts.

I'm sorry but what "lawyers"...Thai?...give me a break please :o in general they are idiots. . . or worse, especially on Samui. Case and point confirmed by the fact that they don't know this simple fact, that yes (for the most part) what the poster **flame removed** says is correct, under the Thai-American Treaty of Amity and Economic Relations (signed 1966 and ratified 1968) a THAI company CAN be 100% American owned. It canNOT own land but for a true operating company it IS not only convenient, but the smartest way to go...security and no "nominee Thai" (i.e. illegal!) shareholders needed.

According to the Amity an american can own a company 100%, of course they first have to be registered in the US as a sole proprietorship, or the branch office of an existing company. I'm guessing joey already knows that and has set up a sole proprietor company in the US.