Marriage In Thailand

Following my recent post and after consideration I have decided to legalise my current domestic situation. The British Embassy bit looks straight forward but it is not clear to me if the future legal wife needs to attend the Embassy or not and if this affirmation can be translated into Thai at any of the places I have seen close to the Embassy. I remember watching a TV programme which showed The Bangkok embassy grilling a prospective couple is this just done for those who wish to live in England not here?

Following my recent post and after consideration I have decided to legalise my current domestic situation. The British Embassy bit looks straight forward but it is not clear to me if the future legal wife needs to attend the Embassy or not and if this affirmation can be translated into Thai at any of the places I have seen close to the Embassy. I remember watching a TV programme which showed The Bangkok embassy grilling a prospective couple is this just done for those who wish to live in England not here?

i can only tell you from experience with the US embassy...there is a document you need to obtain from your embassy that will show you are single and can legally marry.

wifey getting grilled sounds like a visa interview

No need for wife to be at Embassy as you just get the paperwork and have it translated at one of the agencies in the area. You should also have them do the MFA registration process unless you feel the price is too much. When that is returned to you off to a District Office to register your marriage (now you need the wife).

Interviews are for visa to UK - if you are staying here in Thailand you avoid them.

Remember it's now 2,400 baht (an absolute rip-off) for the marriage affirmation to be dealt with by the British Embassy. Also, you should go to the Legal and Naturalisation Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Laksi to have the affirmation and translation into Thai certified. This is a relative steal at only 400 baht (2 day wait) or 800 baht (same day).

I think that is a sound idea I will shop around for a translation shop, I presume those advertising near the Embassy are the most expensive?

Not sure one would be more than another by location alone but it would probably be good to bargain and check several. You can do that in advance to get idea of price. Believe translator has to be registered with MFA so if they do the whole business should not be a problem. If they just did the translation and they were not registered it would cause you an extra expense getting a registered translator to sign off on it. But I have not done in many years so things could have changed - that was the situation 10 years ago. I also suspect your Embassy will have a list of translation services that have proved reliable (although they might not be the least expensive).

Perhaps some readers can offer recent costs? :o

One important point that was missed in this thread is whether the groom has ever been married before. I don't know if it's on the UK affidavit but the American doc asks the question and if you answer "yes" the THAI amphor will ask you for your divorce papers. If you have been married before but don't want to try finding the divorce papers you can always answer "no", but you are perjuring yourself with your home country which could lead to troubles if you ever decide to bring your wife to live in the UK. Just a "heads-up" guys.

One important point that was missed in this thread is whether the groom has ever been married before.  I don't know if it's on the UK affidavit but the American doc asks the question and if you answer "yes" the THAI amphor will ask you for your divorce papers.  If you have been married before but don't want to try finding the divorce papers you can always answer "no", but you are perjuring yourself with your home country which could lead to troubles if you ever decide to bring your wife to live in the UK.  Just a "heads-up" guys.

That is why you have to pay the embassy to make an affirmation that you're not already married. The marriage bit seems straightforward, it's the affirmation, translation and MFA certification that is the pain in the ass bit.

Does anyone know if there are any MFA registered translators in Chiang Mai? and if so, how much?

What's the avaerage price of an affirmation translation, 800 baht?

jackr, I used a fellow who's office was just up the block from the US consulate. Take the street the firestation is on back towards the city and look for his office on your left. It is before the intersection. I used him three years ago so I can't say for sure that he's still there. The fee was around 800 baht if my memory serves me correctly.

EK, just the paperwork from your embassy/consulate is all the translator wants to see. Oh yes, money too.

When you and your bride go to the amphor to register your marriage you will need your passport and all the paperwork from the embassy and translator. She will need her ID card and her amphor book. If I'm not mistaken you will have to go to the amphor office where your bride is registered in order to get married.

EK, just the paperwork from your embassy/consulate is all the translator wants to see. Oh yes, money too.

When you and your bride go to the amphor to register your marriage you will need your passport and all the paperwork from the embassy and translator. She will need her ID card and her amphor book. If I'm not mistaken you will have to go to the amphor office where your bride is registered in order to get married.

Any District Office can be used to register the marriage. Some are more accomodating, such as Bang Ruk, but it can be anywhere.

• 1 month later...

I'm hoping to do the same myself, so If you can clear a few things up for me guys.

Can all this be done in one day? Affirmation, wedding, etc.

What is the total cost inc. Amphor ceremony; So, Affirmation, translation & wedding in total.

What will I need to keep, get translated into English, if I need to come back to UK so I can apply for a marriage visa & make sure marriage is legal in UK too?

Thanks for the advice so I do not even need to take the wife to the MFA? Does any one know if any buses go there ?
Dont have to be there, provided you let them have your original passports, documents and the translated documents. You can even send your office boy/messenger/maid there with an authorization letter !! They dont care so long as all original documents are there, translated copies and the money!!!

Heads up guys..........one of my friends went to the Amphur district to try to get registered last week and was turned down. She had all documents but was rejected as the translation and docs were NOT endorsed by the MFA in Chaeng Wattana. The translators were registered with the MFA but apparently they messed up!!! So be careful! They charge outrageous fees anyway. Better off doing it yourself, it wasnt hard for me.

Sunburn..answer to your questions

Can all this be done in one day? Affirmation, wedding, etc.

Affirmation in one day with the MFA can be done, submit in the morning collect in the afternoon..........THB800 per piece!!!

Wedding, depending on how busy the Amphur district is.......possible but would suggest you go early in the morning when it opens. From experience, some Amphur districts requires the head to prepare the documentation and they are not always around. One of my friends went at 10.45am and was told to come back at 2pm.......nearing lunchtime........so you never know!!!

I would recommend the Bangrak or Klongtoey Amphur districts, they are very efficient and helpful!!! Mind you, I had to "contribute" THB1000 for the "office" for the registration process.

What will I need to keep, get translated into English, if I need to come back to UK so I can apply for a marriage visa & make sure marriage is legal in UK too?
You need to keep everything!!! They will give you 2 original marriage certificates and 2 detailed documents......the marriage is legal in any country. It would be prudent if you were to get the documents translated and lodge the marriage with the British embassy ni Bangkok.....possibly easier for her to obtain a visa. Mind you, they will take one of the original detailed document (not the marriage cert) though, so you would have one left.
What is the total cost inc. Amphor ceremony; So, Affirmation, translation & wedding in total.

Amphur ceremony......THB1000 (varies according to district office)...affirmation (depending on the embassies and how many documents are involved /divorce etc).....translation is THB500 per piece.........endorsement by MFA THB400 per piece (2 working days) or THB800 per piece (for same day).........

I am a foreigner and so is my husband, so it cost us even more!!! :o I managed to get everything done in 3 working days....... didnt have to be present anywhere except at our respective embassies and the Amphur district...................dont forget to bring 2 witnesses to the registration

Good luck and congrats!! :D

Not all offices are adapt to foreigners but basic requirement is the MFA registered paper, which they may have to call MFA to confirm, a small fee if done in office and another larger fee if done outside work hours at a party, someone to translate if you do not speak Thai (does not have to be a registered translator and some offices will do themselves) and two witness which most offices can provide. As said they will require a senior sign off so if nobody around you might have to wait a bit but this is not normal.

I do believe that there is a standard fee but do not recall what it was except very small. Larger offices may be including fees for translation service and witness?