Diabetes

dukkha

Rather a gloomy posting but facing reality.

Just diagnosed in Australia with Type 2 Diabetes as am 59 years old.

Interested to know of any good doctors and hospital facilities as I will

be coming to live in HH on December 1st/2004.

Also need some information on Health Insurance.

Was in Chiagmai for four years and had a policy with A.I.A.

Not sure what course of action to take as will be holding a Visa

Non Immigrant B valid until April 3/2005 then do not know what steps

to take on expiry other than to have the 850 000 baht in a thai bank

or leave and get a Tourist Visa from Penang or KL...

Many thanks for taking time to read this somewhat muddled attempt

Dukkha :o:D

Dukkha. Sorry to hear about your illness but, just to let you know......There has been a thread on the Hauhin and Cha-Am gazette for a long time now.....From a guy suffering from the same condition as you...He's been trying to get in touch with people suffering from Diabetes.

Maybe you can get in touch?

up2you.

My technical abilities are limited.

Sorry up2you but can you e.mail me with that information

again as I did not know where to go to find it.

Not sure if I go to my e.mail or just come into this

Hua Hin forum each time...think I'm just falling apart!

Dukkha :o

Also need some information on Health Insurance.

Was in Chiagmai for four years and had a policy with A.I.A.

Not sure what course of action to take as will be holding a Visa

Non Immigrant B valid until April 3/2005 then do not know what steps

to take on expiry other than to have the 850 000 baht in a thai bank

or leave and get a Tourist Visa from Penang or KL...

Many thanks for taking time to read this somewhat muddled attempt

Dukkha :o  :D

Get a new Non-Immigrant O class visa just before you leave Australia. What State do you live in ? And it is 800,000 baht for the retirement thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to reply to this a while ago, but now I am off suspension, I can add the post.

It certainly is not a nice thing to be told, and the realisation that you are not infallable..... but remember it is a question of a part of your body not working automatically, like you are driving a manual car, not an automatic one.

Just something to think about - Make sure you join Diabetes Australia, and send them the $15- for the higher grade of membership. As you are an Australian, you are entitled to everything they povide.

When you have the D/A card, you can get all the consumables from any chemist at a very reduced price. As an example the things you put in your Blood Glucose Monitor here are about 500 baht for 25, I think they are $15- for 50 on the D/A plan. Make sure you get a good supply. All you need to do is to fill out a form at a large chemist.

The cost of the medication is about the same, So if you are on Oral Meds, they will be about the same price.

Make sure you see a dietitian in Australia, then find a dietitian here and have the diet "Localised" Remember that diet is the key to Diabetes, I can tell you from my own situation that I mostly control my BGL with diet and exercise and not medication. When I was diagnosed, I was taking 4x Daonil per day, now I have about 1/2 every month. I also weighed 120 kg. Now I am down to a happy 85 kg and my need for the meds is almost nil. If I worked harder at it I could probably be off the medication totally.

The other thing to consider is your 6-monthly blood and urine tests. Make sure you get your Australian doctor to write (clearly) the names of the tests needed, so you can confer with your local doctor.

Most large hospitals have an Endochronology department and they will touch you for about 1100 Baht a visit.

Hope that helps.

If you have aby forther questions lease PM me

I was going to reply to this a while ago, but now I am off suspension, I can add the post.

It certainly is not a nice thing to be told, and the realisation that you are not infallable..... but remember it is a question of a part of your body not working automatically, like you are driving a manual car, not an automatic one.

Just something to think about - Make sure you join Diabetes Australia, and send them the $15- for the higher grade of membership. As you are an Australian, you are entitled to everything they povide.

When you have the D/A card, you can get all the consumables from any chemist at a very reduced price. As an example the things you put in your Blood Glucose Monitor here are about 500 baht for 25, I think they are $15- for 50 on the D/A plan. Make sure you get a good supply. All you need to do is to fill out a form at a large chemist.

The cost of the medication is about the same, So if you are on Oral Meds, they will be about the same price.

Make sure you see a dietitian in Australia, then find a dietitian here and have the diet "Localised" Remember that diet is the key to Diabetes, I can tell you from my own situation that I mostly control my BGL with diet and exercise and not medication. When I was diagnosed, I was taking 4x Daonil per day, now I have about 1/2 every month. I also weighed 120 kg. Now I am down to a happy 85 kg and my need for the meds is almost nil. If I worked harder at it I could probably be off the medication totally.

The other thing to consider is your 6-monthly blood and urine tests. Make sure you get your Australian doctor to write (clearly) the names of the tests needed, so you can confer with your local doctor.

Most large hospitals have an Endochronology department and they will touch you for about 1100 Baht a visit.

Hope that helps.

If you have aby forther questions lease PM me

Many thanks for so much valuable information, as yet I am on exercise and diet control and no medication. Also thanks for the tip on Diabetes Australia, will follow it up..is there a good hospital in Hua Hin where I might go for any treatment related to diabetes?? Appreciate your support.

Dukkha

as yet I am on exercise and diet control and no medication

Good luck to you, if you can keep with the diet and exercise all the better.

Sorry, I can't help you with a hospital in Hua-Hin, I am sure that most ISO 9001 hospitals will suit, since medical Tourism is big in this country. If you want tips for hospitals in Surin or Suphanburi I am happy to help.