Did Anyone See This One The Thai News?

Darth Bangkok

I was flipping through the Thai channels last night and saw the end of a news segment. There was a man in a small pen. In the pen were a bunch of dead pigs. He picked up one of the pigs, with his bare hands, and tossed it towards the front of the pen. To his left, there was one pig still alive. It was standing over another, dead, one and looked to be in great pain. It was vomiting or coughing up something or sneezing or something like that. I only saw these few seconds of the report and didn't concentrate on what the newscaster was saying, so I don't know the story about this. Did anyone hear anything that might be about this story?

BIRD FLU: Disease’s spread to dogs confirmed

Published on Oct 4, 2004

Prachin Buri governor dismisses reports of pigs dying from avian flu

Dogs in Prachin Buri have been confirmed as having bird flu, according to reports by the faculties of veterinary science at two state-run universities, said a spokeswoman for the Public Health Ministry yesterday.

Nittaya Chanruangmahaphol said she received the test results from Dr Thavee Chotepittayasunan, deputy director of the Queen Sirikit National Institute of Child Health.

“I don’t have any further details,” she added.

Dr Charal Trinvuthipong, who chairs a committee set up to tackle bird flu, said it would hardly be surprising if infected fowls were found to have passed the virus on to mammals.

He said he had already received reports of cats and tigers that had contracted avian influenza.

“So far, there’s no report that bird flu can be passed from mammals to humans,” he said.

Meanwhile, Prachin Buri governor Sukhumrat Saributr dismissed reports that pigs had fallen prey to the lethal flu, saying that initial autopsies showed the dead pigs’ lungs were not damaged.

“The owners also admitted to using excessive amounts of mosquito-repellent spray in the pig enclosures,” he said.

However, Sukhumrat said the carcasses of the pigs had been sent to the Animal Health Institute for further checks.

Khieo Burami, 40, said eight of her 30 pigs had died after their enclosures were cleaned with mosquito spray.

“I think the pigs were allergic to it,” she said.

She said none of her 50 chickens, ducks and geese had displayed any symptoms of bird flu.

A neighbour concurred that her six pigs were healthy. Samruay Khemthong, 52, was not concerned by the pig deaths in the vicinity.

“I don’t think they died of bird flu,” she said.

Perm Yamyim, 44, was so confident that the disease was not an issue in the area that she asked for some pork to cook and eat.

“No fowls have died in our village. There’s no need to be afraid,” she said.

http://www.google.co.th/search?q=cache:3Jb...dead+pigs&hl=en

I saw another story about this last night on the Thai news (I think it was Channel 5).

In Prachinburi there is an epidemic of cholera going around and killing all the pigs. There were similar shots of pigs in obvious pain and suffering and people tossing other ones around. At one point the news anchor said "there are only 60 left". I'll assume that this meant on this particular farm and not in all of Prachinburi. Unfortunately, the Thai news seems to rush thru all their stories and not really report, but read lists that someone prepares for them.