How Do I Check Which Ports Are Being Used?

Ian_B

I managed to forward the ports on my ADSL router for torrent files as they were listed in the client and am now back to the faster speeds I enjoyed with my USB modem.

Now I'm trying to do the same with "Steam" this is a gaming service run by Valve software. I am trying to download the brand new "Counterstrike Source" but it is crawling at the moment.

I think it's so slow as I've not forwarded that port - anybody know how I can find out which ports are assigned to which program?

I got the bulk of it a few weeks ago when I had the USB modem - I was averaging 60 kilobytes/sec then - now its 1-2 max

hope it helps a bit

it helps a lot !!

thanks.

according to the tests done by that site,it seems that with the xp firewall and norton antivirus my computer is totally anonymous and inpenetrable and they didnt try to sell me any products.

fascinating stuff !

Steve Gibson is one of the top authorities on computer security and related privacy matters.

He was the major consultant to the developers of the ZoneAlarm firewall, and was hired by the FBI to test and recommend improvements to US Governments computer systems, after 9/11.

Every internet user should be required to study all the information he provides free-of-charge on his website.

---------------

PS - Note Steve also writes all his software in machine language code, which gives lightening fast, small programs.

PPS - Steve also told Microsoft about security problems in XP, prior to its release, but Microsoft ignored him. Many of the "holes" fixed by SP2 are those Steve originally pointed out.

hi'

Steve Gibson is one of the top authorities on computer security and related privacy matters.

right, very right, and the only one who really helps users a lot without asking a thing :D

this site is far the best I have found out on the web :o

you just have to read and follow advice given by Steve and everything will go alright with your com, for whatever you need for security and privacy :D

cheers

francois