Baht Bus Questions?

joeyb

I have been to Pattaya twice now and I'm more confused than ever. How do you tell the regular 10 baht rides from the multiltude of freelancers wanting to charge 100 baht?? I always seem to have to go thru 5 of these freelancers first. Are they off duty and just looking for some extra cash or just playing by a different set of rules?

I'm not talking about 2am and Walking ST. either, but the middle of the day on 2nd Rd.

Hop on and its 10bht around the circuit. If they ask you where you want to go then you are hiring a private baht bus. This will cost whatever you negotiate. So hop on and say nothing, ring the bell when you want to get off. Then hand over 10bht - easy as chips. :o

How do you know where they are going? I hopped on a bus at Soi Diana and 2nd rd thinking it would turn down Central or North rd then onto Beach rd. Nope, he turned right onto Naklua Rd. How can you tell what circuit each bus is on?

How do you know where they are going? I hopped on a bus at Soi Diana and 2nd rd thinking it would turn down Central or North rd then onto Beach rd. Nope, he turned right onto Naklua Rd. How can you tell what circuit each bus is on?

Ring the buzzer. Get off and then head the way you want to go. Repeat as necessary. Soon you will figure it out.

There should be route writing on both sides of the bus. I remember vaguely that some of them are in English. I kind of understand your trouble coz when you start to ask if they are heading to your destination then they start to think you're about to accept the private fare. I think what you can do is ask your Thai friend to read out the names on the side of the bus.

There should be route writing on both sides of the bus. I remember vaguely that some of them are in English. I kind of understand your trouble coz when you start to ask if they are heading to your destination then they start to think you're about to accept the private fare. I think what you can do is ask your Thai friend to read out the names on the side of the bus.

Exactly my problem. I would ask, "Beach road?" The driver would say "No problem 100 baht".

Be honest - I still haven't figured out the system. If it doesnt turn I ring the buzzer and get off. Does you no good to ask the driver because you are setting yourself up for a private taxi hire. I think all my baht bus travels I prob had maybe 6/7 out of 1000(s) times when it hasnt gone the way I thought it would.

Once you know the system, you can ask without turning it into a hire when you know what and how to ask. For example if picking up a bus on Pattaya Klang going to the water and you want to go to Big C instead of Pattaya Tai, you can ask bpai Big C mai? (assuming the bus isn't empty). You can also point directions north or south. There are other routes that are variable where you can ask no problem.

Edited by Jingthing

You can use hand signals like Thais do. As the bus approaches and the driver sees you, point straight if you want to go to Naklua; left for Beach Rd., right for Central. If he then does not stop for you, means he's not going your way. Of course, even if he intends to go your way, he may change his mind later. :o But when you get the gestures right, they work most of the time.

Otherwise, if there are other passengers, you can carefully ask the driver where he is going. Then don't reply to his answer but go ahead and jump in the back.

A Thai told me that even Thais are paying 10 baht/trip now. True?

This is the scam, they pick-up unsuspecting tourists and charge them 150-200 baht for

a private ride and then threaten to get physical if they don't pay. I don't pay 10 baht.

I usually pay 8-9 baht, it really messes with their head, they can't decide what to do. :o

Once you know the system, you can ask without turning it into a hire when you know what and how to ask. For example if picking up a bus on Pattaya Klang going to the water and you want to go to Big C instead of Pattaya Tai, you can ask bpai Big C mai? (assuming the bus isn't empty). You can also point directions north or south. There are other routes that are variable where you can ask no problem.

I get the impression from a past post of yours that you live somewhere in my area near Pratumnak Hill.

I don't take Baht busses too often, but when I do it always takes 2 to go from the corner of Pattaya Tai and Pratumnak Road up the hill, as most of them turn left at the Tappraya Road - Pratumnak Road intersection.

Do you have a solution to this problem?

In your post you say that the BBs are just off duty or waiting? It implies that you are talking to parked BB drivers, it does not surprise me that they consider you are looking for private hire rates when you approach them.

I suggest that you only get into BBs that are moving and not parked at the sidewalk.

Next time you are here take some time to ride a BB and watch how others hail and communicate with the driver.

HTH

This is the scam, they pick-up unsuspecting tourists and charge them 150-200 baht for

a private ride and then threaten to get physical if they don't pay. I don't pay 10 baht.

I usually pay 8-9 baht, it really messes with their head, they can't decide what to do. :o

You are very naughty!

But a few days ago I got on baht bus at Beach Road hoping he was going to Jomthien. He wasn't so I buzzed him on S. Pattaya Road and gave him 5 baht. He siad it was 10. I knew I didn't have 10 but gave him what I had. Did I get a mouthful from him!!!!!!!!

In your post you say that the BBs are just off duty or waiting? It implies that you are talking to parked BB drivers, it does not surprise me that they consider you are looking for private hire rates when you approach them.

I suggest that you only get into BBs that are moving and not parked at the sidewalk.

Next time you are here take some time to ride a BB and watch how others hail and communicate with the driver.

HTH

No all the problems I have with BB's are when I'm standing there and they "swoop" over to "assist" me. The ones with passengers are obviously the 10 baht variety, but the also seem to be getting more and more rare. At least 4-8 empty BB's will go by before you see one with passengers. These empty ones are the ones that always say " where you go, OK, 100 baht". One driver actually asked me "how much you pay?" I said 10 baht. He took off before I finished the sentence.

The only time I ever consider doing the private hire is way late at nite after too many drinks. Last August they wanted 100 baht. Two weeks ago, same spot, now they all start at 150 baht and laugh if you offer them 100. I'll be back in the fall and will probably just rent a scooter to spite them!

HTH

No all the problems I have with BB's are when I'm standing there and they "swoop" over to "assist" me. The ones with passengers are obviously the 10 baht variety, but the also seem to be getting more and more rare. At least 4-8 empty BB's will go by before you see one with passengers. These empty ones are the ones that always say " where you go, OK, 100 baht". One driver actually asked me "how much you pay?" I said 10 baht. He took off before I finished the sentence.

The only time I ever consider doing the private hire is way late at nite after too many drinks. Last August they wanted 100 baht. Two weeks ago, same spot, now they all start at 150 baht and laugh if you offer them 100. I'll be back in the fall and will probably just rent a scooter to spite them!

Make sure you have medical insurance - tho maybe they won't pay as drunk driving is against the law. But do have medical insurance and have the details in your wallet in your pocket so that the hospital can find it and treat you.

HTH

Exactly !! Dealing with these BB thieves has made me get a car, and I'm much happier with that ! Although driving in LOS is a thrill a minute :o !! You need eyes on all sides !

I am sorry, in my earlier reply I should have explained a little more clearly. When you hail a BB approaching you on the road simply walk to the back and get in - there is only one result of engaging the BB driver in any form of conversation and that will result in you paying over the odds.

It is like playing Mornington Crescent, the driver drives and you pay 10 Baht when you get off. If the BB is driven where you were intending to go that that is good. Your point to point fare is lower than it will be if you are going anywhere that the average BB driver does not have imprinted in their skull.

>there is only one result of engaging the BB driver in any form of conversation and that will result in you paying over the odds.

you can ask him - 10 baht, ok (sip baat may) ? he answers ok. no problem.

Edited by justbob

I belive the 5 baht ride for Thais is gone.

They pay 10 baht as well now so paying 5 baht is asking for unecessary trouble.

These guys will, if in a bad mood do just about anything.

Better not to get into any sort of discussion whatsoever with them.

Pay the money and get out.

Also best to get off slightly forward of where you're going, hand the driver or his assistant the exact change and then walk away in the opposite direction.

Does anyone know the various baht bus routes and which ones run 24/7?

I'm especially curious about the ones that go up and down Pattaya Tai.

And also the ones that don't go up Tappraya Road but instead go up Pratumnak Road. Do these run all night?

Thanks.

I consider it some sort of a victory that I have been in Jomtien for 5 days now and have not used a baht bus even once.

Several friends have driven me here and there in their cars, other times I just walk.

It is so easy and inexpensive to use real taxis where I live (Bangkok) and I find the transportation here simply awful.

If I decide to spend more time at my condo here I will be forced to buy a car also, which I think is terrible "carbon karma" in a city the size of Pattaya.

Especially when I don't enjoy driving.

Also best to get off slightly forward of where you're going, hand the driver or his assistant the exact change and then walk away in the opposite direction.

Does anyone know the various baht bus routes and which ones run 24/7?

I'm especially curious about the ones that go up and down Pattaya Tai.

And also the ones that don't go up Tappraya Road but instead go up Pratumnak Road. Do these run all night?

Thanks.

24/7 - jomptien, second road, beach road. everything else take a motobike guy

The baht bus drivers who hang around at Royal Garden or Big C Festival Centre will always demand 150 baht for charter, but if you flag a moving baht bus down, preferably empty you can charter one for 100 baht.

The gamble is when picking up a baht bus on Beach Road near Royal Garden. They go four ways: One to Jomtien, One turns left down Second Road. One goes down Pattaya Tai, and another goes down Pattaya Tai and turns left into Soi Buakhaew.

As a general rule of thumb, if the bus is full of Thai's then it is going down Pattaya Tai. Most of the others will be going down the Second Road.

As said previously. Do not speak with the driver under any circumstance unless you want to charter.

For example if you are on Beach Road near Royal Garden and you really want to go to Jomtien, don't ask the driver, or he will take you there specially and demand 150 baht when you get there. Better to jump on any baht bus, then get off at Pattaya Tai and join the dedicated baht buses lined up which leave for Jomtien when full.

What's the official fare from Pattaya to Jomtien? Sometimes I hand over 10 baht no problem, other times 20 baht is demanded.

I live in Jomtien and for several years I've abided by the "rule" that the fare from Jomtien up to as far as Pattaya Klang was B10.

However, twice in the past two weeks, I've been rudely advised that the fare to around Soi Diana was B20. Has the fare officially changed, due to (probably) increased fuel prices? I don't mind paying if the fare has actually raised, but [a] was not pleased with the attitude of the two drivers :o and of course, hate to be cheated if the fare is still B10. :D

What's the official fare from Pattaya to Jomtien? Sometimes I hand over 10 baht no problem, other times 20 baht is demanded.

I live in Jomtien and for several years I've abided by the "rule" that the fare from Jomtien up to as far as Pattaya Klang was B10.

However, twice in the past two weeks, I've been rudely advised that the fare to around Soi Diana was B20. Has the fare officially changed, due to (probably) increased fuel prices? I don't mind paying if the fare has actually raised, but [a] was not pleased with the attitude of the two drivers :o and of course, hate to be cheated if the fare is still B10. :D

No, it is still 10 baht as far as Pattaya Klang; almost never a problem to there. They are just doing a farang shake down. To avoid this, just hand over the 10 in exact change and walk away, never ask or make eye contact.

Going as far as Big C, it is also 10 baht, but many more drivers will demand 20 baht going that far. If the bus is empty in such a case, I now usually just give them the 20 rather than have stress.

The other issue is how far you are going/coming in Jomtien. For example, if you are going far out Jomtien, sometimes you get the shakedown, and if you go really far, they will likely stop and attempt to convert you to a 100 baht (or more) charter or kick you off. I also think if you are coming from far out Jomtien, you might consider just paying the 20. It is an ambiguous fare system, the drivers obviously like that. Happy riding!

Edited by Jingthing

The gamble is when picking up a baht bus on Beach Road near Royal Garden. They go four ways: One to Jomtien, One turns left down Second Road. One goes down Pattaya Tai, and another goes down Pattaya Tai and turns left into Soi Buakhaew.
No Gamble - the BBs on the Jomtiem loop have a fat white stripe painted between the front/rear wheel arches. If near empty at the junction with Pattaya Tai they will park up and wait in the BB queue there to fill up.

What does amaze me is that people will struggle to get on a BB that is already full even if there is a second one just behind.