Samut Sakhon/songkhram

terrier123

Lived in Samut Songkhram for a few years. Once every blue moon, you might be lucky to run into another farang who's married to a girl from there and happens to be in town. There was a gay old italian guy living with his boyfriend I met once at their make-to-do bar/restauraunt. There's some teacher agency that was bringing a few farang teachers there since last few years, but I rarely saw/met any of them around town. There is apparently several dozen Filipinos on that note, but you won't likely be able to tell them from the locals.

Been through Samut Sakhon a' plenty on the way to/fro Bangkok-Samut Songkhram, but doubt that there is any farang populations united there as it's just a big industrial suburb of Bkk metro, though the scenery is nicer towards the west part of the province, where it connects to Samut Songkhram, which is its own haven that should be protected from the masses at all costs :o

Cost of living/housing isn't bad at all. Lots of small apartments that have gone up in/around Samut Songkhram over the last few years, expect to pay between 1500 to 3000 baht per month, though if you're staying long term, just find a house/town house to rent as that will be 2000-4000 baht range. Shouldn't be difficult to find. There is some level of local transport, i.e. motorbike taxis/tuk tuks, and sawng taews serving the rural villages about, but you're better off with your own bicycle or motorbike if you plan being there long. Cars aren't so necessary for a rural area like this, unless you have an extended family and plan to go to Bkk often. Either way, you can still take the van or bus into the heart of bkk, which takes about an hour.

S. Songkhram's now got a Tesco Lotus, and there are several other small super market/supply stores in the central market, which though small, is congested and lively throughout the day/evening. A few KFCs (one in the market one at Lotus) a Pizza company, loads of Thai eateries, and cheap massage and karaoke places, though you might have to peak around to find them (90 baht an hour for normal and other options available for pennies more)--nothing compared to the big cities and if that's what you're looking for, you'll be better off in Samut Sakhon for that, as industry = money = workers = services, etc. etc.

Traditional /natural setting wise, few places I've seen elsewhere are on par with Samut Songkhram, or Mae Klong as the locals call it. Many canals feeding off the Mae Klong river, which originates in Kanchanaburi around the famous River Kwae, and exits into the golf of Thailand in S. Songkhram at a place called Don Hoi Lort. Minus the power lines and cars, it represents what traditional Thailand was 100-150 years ago and beyond.

Not only is it where the Siamese twins, In and Chan, but also the birthplace of Rama II. Rama I was living there with his bride at one point with a palace before Bkk times...

Ampawa evening floating market is nice to see if you haven't already. Probably see more farang tourists there than anywhere else in the province, but they're all just visiting like the thousands of other Thais.

Ah, Got to love the place, but anyway, I plan to visit back there sometime, message me if/when you get settled there and when I'm out that way again, we can have a beer somewhere, and maybe a 100 baht massage, ha ha.

Cheers.

• 11 months later...

Siamamerican, thanks for your info. I have been surfing for info about this place, but your text is the kind of info I was looking for. I will try my luck to find a nice place to write. Thanks again!

I am in Samut right now. Feel very lost in this town. I am not going to stay here. No bicycles or motorbikes for rent! People had to laugh when I asked.

After 19:00 the town seems to go to bed... and now I have to stop because the internetshop closes at 21:00!

I am in Samut right now. Feel very lost in this town. I am not going to stay here. No bicycles or motorbikes for rent! People had to laugh when I asked.

After 19:00 the town seems to go to bed... and now I have to stop because the internetshop closes at 21:00!

You went to the wrong place "Soulwy' :D The Mae Klong River starts from Kanchanaburi and goes to where you are. :D

Try Kan then, bikes for rent during day-time. Lots of English speaking Thais over here to help you and not just laugh at you :o

Yours truly,

Kan Win :D

I live on a farm in Samut Sakhon & the only time I have ever seen another 'farang' here was a couple of times on the Highway when they have stopped off at the market & I was there. :o I don't leave the farm too often, theres not too much here to get excited about.

Some time ago (year or more ago) I looked at a couple of town houses with a thai friend & the fairly ordinary ones were around the 4,000thb mark & slightly better ones 5000-6000 thb. A couple of the newer housing villages north of Maha Chai have houses available for rent in them, I've got no idea what they are worth though.

Most the people in the area either hang signs on power poles & or signs on the front fences of the properties available for rent....best way to see whats out there is cruise the various sois & villages.

In the eastern areas of Samut Sakhon alot of the roads flood very easily, after a few drops of rain & there is heaps of develpments, factories and so forth & billions of stinking trucks. When the roads flood, make no mistake about it, you are driving thru salt water, be aware if you have a nice car. Theres some nice roads to tour around on the way over to the coastline & so good out of the way restuarants as well.

Maha Chai has all the big fishing trawlers & heaps of trucks driving to the freezers & stuff like that.

PS: Did I mention theres heaps of stinking trucks down here :D

I do think I ended up in a hissy busy area. The bus from Hua Hin to BKK dropped me of along the highway and a songthaew drove me to here. This all went very fast. The town seems to spread out and it is hard to get an overview. I have a map given by the traffic police in a "police box" , but that map is confusing and not very detailed. I just don't know where to find information (tourist information office...? Can you eat that?)

I don't think I will find a quiet rental with internet for 6 weeks here...so I keep on surfing...

PS Thai people here are huge (tall & larger than I have seen until now)

I do think I ended up in a hissy busy area. The bus from Hua Hin to BKK dropped me of along the highway and a songthaew drove me to here. This all went very fast. The town seems to spread out and it is hard to get an overview. I have a map given by the traffic police in a "police box" , but that map is confusing and not very detailed. I just don't know where to find information (tourist information office...? Can you eat that?)

I don't think I will find a quiet rental with internet for 6 weeks here...so I keep on surfing...

PS Thai people here are huge (tall & larger than I have seen until now)

I'm trying to work out what brought you here? :o Most people drive straight past & wisely so.