Songkran; Take The Plunge

Lithobid

Having recently spent the weekend of festivities here in Phattalung, it has brought a new perspective for me about the festival. I've read so many posts, and I myself have spent the years locked in my house with a case of beer and a stack of movies to avoid the crazieness. Although there are those who take the holiday too far with liquor and irresponsability, and I saw plenty of this too these past few days, there is in my opinion the heart of the festival, which revolves around the children, and a time for them to play with their relatives in a communal spirit of friendship and love.

This year I avoided as much of the water throwing as possible, until, unfortunately I had to go and supply me and my Thai host family with more beer. I managed to avoid several bowls of water flying my way on the trip, until I parked in front of the store, and there was a gang of at least 12 kids, eyeing me up, and fingers quivering on the triggers of their water pistols. I started to say "it diow it diow! Mai ow bieak!" (I'll just leave that in poor transliteration) but then I gave in and pretended to be shot by each water gun that came my way, eventually falling to the ground, and playing dead. They showed no mercy, until I jumped up screaming (playingly) and chased them down the street. The same gang was sure to hit me on the way out of the store, and that's when I stoped and asked them their names, Bon, Lek, Mook, asked them how old they were, and were they having fun, and what did they like the best about Songkran. "spending time with my dad" said Mook, a girl aged 12, her father is a tuk tuk driver in town, and she doesn't get to see much of him during the work week. "Counting how many people we can shoot in the day" say's Bon (9), and his sister Lek(7). I tell them goodbye, and wave, as they wave back, and had a small revelation of how my view of these people can go from hating this group of uncontrolled children, to understanding why they enjoy and revel in this holiday. This sort of view flows in my opinion to all avenues of thai life, food, language, lifestyle, and those who try to live here on the border, i.e. farang lifestyle in LOS, do and will find it terribly fustrating sometimes. For me something that was frustrating, hated, feared, all deriving from ignorance, was instantly whisked away by taking the plunge, and replace with warmth, fun, love, and understanding.

So before you really make your mind up about something here in LOS, make sure you've taken the plunge, and really gotten your feet wet. I think we all forget to do that sometimes, and it makes life difficult, when really it's fairly simple. Just a new perspective for me, and one that I know I share with others. I hope you all enjoyed the special aspects of Songkran this year, and were able to grow closer to your fellow countrymen and women.

Lithobid