Cannot Open Websites Without Specifying A Particular Dns Service

srs

Hi all.

I have TRUE DSL Internet in Bangkok.

In order to simply surf the web I have to enter the ip addresses of an DNS service in the TCP/IP properties of my wireless connection.

In my case these are the ip addresses of opendns.com.

Without doing that I cannot access any website by entering the URL. It works (of course) when using the ip addresses of the website.

So, what is going on.

What happened to the TRUE DNS service.

Why can't my URLs be resolved?

Does anybody experience the same problems?

I have been noticing a lot of weird stuff with TRUE lately. There are full days when it is impossible for me to reach GMAIL or HOTMAIL while other sites work perfectly. It most certainly seems like a dns issue. Also, GTalk doesn't work at all anymore.

What are the correct DNS settings supposed to be so all site work properly???

Hi all.

In order to simply surf the web I have to enter the ip addresses of an DNS service in the TCP/IP properties of my wireless connection.

Without doing that I cannot access any website by entering the URL. It works (of course) when using the ip addresses of the website.

So, what is going on.

What happened to the TRUE DNS service.

Why can't my URLs be resolved?

Does anybody experience the same problems?

it sounds like trues' DHCP server is not giving you a preferred DNS number when it should do, you could check this by going to a command prompt and ipconfig /all....if it is not then you could try flush and register dns and see if that works... ipconfig /flushdns to flush your dns cache the ipconfig /registerdns to re register it...

might work

Check the router between your adsl line and your wifi network. That router is responsible for assigning a DNS address to your computer. Usually these routers assign their own IP address and forward the dns-queries to the DNS address assigned by IPCP from the provider.

Better solution: manually assign the OpenDNS addresses in the DHCP settings of your router. Thai DNS'es provide false information, especially when it concerns blocked websites (this causes numerous other problems, but the Thai ISPs couldn't care less).

Better solution: manually assign the OpenDNS addresses in the DHCP settings of your router. Thai DNS'es provide false information, especially when it concerns blocked websites (this causes numerous other problems, but the Thai ISPs couldn't care less).

I have a FritzBox Fon WLAN 7050. Although I feel that this is a pretty good modem/router it is not possible to enter the OpenDNS addresses directly by using the router's web-based administration. So far I did not dare to apply these changes by using a terminal service and special command-line commands.

it sounds like trues' DHCP server is not giving you a preferred DNS number when it should do, you could check this by going to a command prompt and ipconfig /all....if it is not then you could try flush and register dns and see if that works... ipconfig /flushdns to flush your dns cache the ipconfig /registerdns to re register it...

might work

i did a ipconfig /all. how can i now check the preferred DNS number?

Does anybody know an alternative to opendns? because even if using their dns addresses i cannot access certain websites.

Guest Reimar
i did a ipconfig /all. how can i now check the preferred DNS number?

Does anybody know an alternative to opendns? because even if using their dns addresses i cannot access certain websites.

You need to set the NIC f to automatic IP address for both computer and DNS. After that to be sure, reboot the computer. After rebooting open an Command Prompt (Start -> Run and type CMD) and run the command: ipconfig /all whyich should show you the IP address of your computer, the Gateway, the SubNet mask and the DNS addresses, primary and secodary as well.

Cheers.

There are numerous dns'es on the internet, just find one that is answering queries without restrictions.

But to see why OpenDNS won't resolve your url, can you issue the following command and post the output here?

C:\>nslookup www.google.com

and replace the google host displayed above with your url. Run this command in a cmd box (start -> run -> cmd)

Thanks for your answers.

Now I think this issue might (besides of the crappy internet in Thailand) be caused by my modem/router.

Today I SUDDENLY could not open www.thaivisa.com and most other sites I tried.

But I could open e.g. www.google.com

So I did nslookup as suggested.

nslookup www.thaivisa.com
Server:  fritz.fonwlan.box
Address:  192.168.178.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:	thaivisa.com
Address:  203.174.84.82
Aliases:  www.thaivisa.com

nslookup www.google.com
Server:  fritz.fonwlan.box
Address:  192.168.178.1

Name:	www.l.google.com
Addresses:  64.233.189.99, 64.233.189.104, 64.233.189.147
Aliases:  www.google.com

So, I did not see any problems. The URL has obviously been resolved.

I also tried the DNS service by OpenDNS.

nslookup www.thaivisa.com
Server:  resolver1.opendns.com
Address:  208.67.222.222

Name:	thaivisa.com
Address:  203.174.84.82
Aliases:  www.thaivisa.com

Then I put away my modem and used the Billion modem that came with the TRUE package.

And now it is working?

So, it seems as if I have an issue with my modem.

But still, why can I ping/nslookup URL but cannot open them in my browser?

Does anybody have similar problems.

Ok. I will test the Billion modem now.

Let's see how long this is going to work fine.