Samui Is A Dump!

Having visited Samui last week and found the place a complete mess !!

1) roads are a nightmare

2) building work everywhere

3) traffic worse than Bangkok

4) general dirtyness of the place

any more idea's...........

.... a rose without the thorns in not a rose ... :o

Edited by cobra

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having visited Samui last week and found the place a complete mess !!

1) roads are a nightmare

2) building work everywhere

3) traffic worse than Bangkok

4) general dirtyness of the place

any more idea's...........

Here comes 1 more:

Lack of roads-light

Last night I had to go to Nathon to pick up my wife from the ferry. But I soon discovered that 1/2 of the road was in total darkness. Are the goverment on Samui so poor that they put peoples life in danger just to save some money. If thats so, it tells me that the goverment, the business people, TOT, etc. are only interested in our money, not in our lifes. In other words, farang and Thai lifes are worth absolutly NOTHING.

There must be a possibillity to have all ligths bright and shine from dusk until midnight, and then save some money (and lifes) after the trafic hav passed out.

I among many many other residents on Samui had hoped for the islands city-status, but unfortunaly this was blocked by Surrathani greed for the money created on Samui.

Next time you buy a car/pickup/motorbike, choose a model that includes headlights. I find they are perfect for night driving. I suggest more people try using them. :o

Traffic in BKK is very human and "civilized" like overall in Thailand. My worst experinece was Karachi, unbelievable noisy, reckless and dangerous.

Come on ClaudeFeller, you must come from somewhere really auful, if you think traffic in BKK is "very human and civilised" :o

Traffic in BKK is very human and "civilized" like overall in Thailand. My worst experinece was Karachi, unbelievable noisy, reckless and dangerous.

Come on ClaudeFeller, you must come from somewhere really auful, if you think traffic in BKK is "very human and civilised" :o

You must try to go your everyday job in Rome by car... I love BKK traffic...

I am expressing my opinon about Samui, whether you agree or not thats your choice!! I won't be going back to Samui again and will find a better choice in the future.

5) Terrible ferry companies servicing the island :o

samui has its problem but who can name 5 good things about the island shouldn't be hard. i suppose it depends where u come from and what u r used to

I agree that samui is a dump! So I wanted to stay in koh phangan to have what samui has lost. But now they do the same shit here. So where do we go now...?

these island ain;t a dump they are just developing. give it a few years they will be like phuket. can;t expect to deal with all these infux of people over night.needs govement funding and time.

I agree that samui is a dump! So I wanted to stay in koh phangan to have what samui has lost. But now they do the same shit here. So where do we go now...?

I go to MY secret Island, and I will not tell where since many stupidt ppl will come and ruin it. :o

Some ppl seem to do this, I wonder why!

Edited by SamuiJens

I am expressing my opinon about Samui, whether you agree or not thats your choice!! I won't be going back to Samui again and will find a better choice in the future.

phangan!

not much traffic, fairly clean, roads are good enough for an island of this size, ferries do suck however.

I agree, will be off to Phangan next time... :o:D

Give Koh Lanta a go during high season. Current headache is the ferry system but once there, really nice.

:o

these island ain;t a dump they are just developing. give it a few years they will be like phuket. can;t expect to deal with all these infux of people over night.needs govement funding and time.

WHO wants samui to be like phuket??? just stop most of the new buildings of high end hotels/resorts and not allow just any amount of cars/trucks , since there are enough now! Just MY meaning! :D But there are more and more, which makes the Island look "like" a dump! Some places should be left as a nature preserve! :D I know, I'm dreaming!

Edited by SamuiJens

I go to MY secret Island, and I will not tell where since many stupidt ppl will come and ruin it. :o

Please, tell me the location of your secret island!! I swear I don't tell nobody. West side or East side?

Please, tell me the location of your secret island!! I swear I don't tell nobody. West side or East side?

It's really on the north-eastern side of a Island IN the Philippines! :D not LOS I'm happy/sad to say!

Edited by SamuiJens

:o

WHO wants samui to be like phuket??? just stop most of the new buildings of high end hotels/resorts and not allow just any amount of cars/trucks , since there are enough now! Just MY meaning! :D But there are more and more, which makes the Island look "like" a dump! Some places should be left as a nature preserve! :D I know, I'm dreaming!

yes i came back from national park. and i see many beautifal islands and nature on the way. then when we get back to samui it looks like the island has been eaten by parrasites. i am for good real estate but some parts or alot of parts need to remain untouched to preserve the islands origonal beauty or it will go fro jungle to concrete jungle.

Five good things:

1) Picturesque airport

2) Lamai beach

3) Can walk on street same side as market without onslaught if not shopping

4) Friendly bars

5) Hot rain (mostly very cold rain in Scotland)

6) thaiboxing ( many stadiums )

7) warm sea all year round. never to far from the nearest beach

8) fishing all types of crazy fish

9) snorkaling in lamui near the rock

10) diving schools

11) samui is a good base island for surrounding island

12) sea food

13) riding bike with out a helmet ( 90 %) of the time

14) bangkok samui hospital expesive but got service. in my view

15) free entery to green mango if it is your thing if not then u have lipa noi the quiter side. something for every one

16) most forangs tolerate each other more here. even though some of them don;t like each other

bla bla bla bla

17) barbe que CHICKEN!!! :o

:D

yes i came back from national park. and i see many beautifal islands and nature on the way. then when we get back to samui it looks like the island has been eaten by parrasites. i am for good real estate but some parts or alot of parts need to remain untouched to preserve the islands origonal beauty or it will go fro jungle to concrete jungle.

Having had no real understanding of your view points of the nature-kind, I am really surprised you wrote the above. Thank you for that Big C. :D We need more with these ideas! :o SAY NO TO A CONCRETE JUNGLE!

Buy a coconut tree, before they're gone!

Edited by SamuiJens

I also found the people on Samui to be a greedy selfish lot. (Thai and Farangs) With some exceptions of course.

THANK YOU Lite Beer!!!! Took the words right out of my mouth!...I agree that roads and infrastructure, etc really need some work, but by far the single worst thing about Samui is the people (and again agree, non-Thais AND Thais).
This is why I sometimes want to move from Bangkok to Samui for about six months. The collection of screwups, scammers, stoners, sex pensioners, criminals, mafiosos, real estate hucksters and general ingrates that have collected around the island makes for fascinating scenery. I've got friends that are long termers and the stories they have are like something out of a Jimmy Buffett song based on a Graham Greene novel. Every time I've visited with them the collection of people we meet in passing is hysterical. Still, I must say that as I've never gotten involved with any of their scams and I'm not beligerrent I've never had any problems and the only general letdown is from the disproportionate number of jaded-as-hel_l Thai folks who got that way by dealing with all the aforementioned headcases and the tourists.

On a side note, is the island still being invaded by Russians? Last time I was down there that was the new thing. There was recent Cyrillic marker writing on all the menus and signs and a ton of those lovable Russian tourists that have invaded the rest of the world as the oil & gas money has inflated the Russian economy. If the general state of fashion doesn't give them away you can always figure out they're Russian when you notice the crying Thai waitress and the screaming farang waving the bill in one hand and motioning for his family to leave without paying with the other hand.

I know it sounds like I'm taking a dump on Samui, but it really is beautiful in places and I really do find the collection of people fascinating to hang around with. It's like living in a Coen Brothers movie.