Americans In Thailand

ralphie

I as a retired Marine and as an American Marine I am very proud of the USA...If you are from the USA and you are trying to hide it then you are Gutless and have not even a right to be associated as an american..

For the others that hate Americans So Be It, However if you look throughout history the americans have made you what you are today wheather Idiots or good people......

I love being an American but I love most of all living in Thailand where the only predujuice is from the Thai government towards people who are not Thai//.

KHUNDAN SENDS

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However if you look throughout history the americans have made you what you are today wheather Idiots or good people......

I have no probs with Americans but would like some clarification on this point if you please KhunDan?

Thanks in Advance!

i dont think the perceived "problems" with americans are to do with their politics , its more to do with their attitude to the rest of the world, they seem to think that everybody wants to be american and cant understand why anybody wouldnt.

Bit off topic, but everyone else is so here goes.

Might have a little bit to do with the reality of appx 5% of the world population consuming 25% of the Worlds resources and encouring small group's of "elites" all over the world to do same. All back up with Economic PhDs, world crushing military capabilities, and thousands of nuclear weapons, with a propensity to go off half cocked with the slightest provocation to make sure everybody knows that you're a mean mfer. In the process of course , we're totally <deleted>-up the world permanently and irreversibly; but hey, it don't matter, right, since "I'll" be dead in a couple of decades, anyhoo !

Have a look at Paul Ehrlich's great tome, "One With Nineveh" , if you can get your hands on it. :D

I as a retired Marine and as an American Marine I am very proud of the USA...If you are from the USA and you are trying to hide it then you are Gutless and have not even a right to be associated as an american..

For the others that hate Americans So Be It, However if you look throughout history the americans have made you what you are today wheather Idiots or good people......

I love being an American but I love most of all living in Thailand where the only predujuice is from the Thai government towards people who are not Thai//.

KHUNDAN SENDS

Semper Fi, dude!

I'm a yank, but said "hoooooo ah" in an earlier day, myself.

In recent years I've travelled through China, India, Egypt and through large parts of Europe. Never, did I claim to be a Canadian out of fear of retribution - although in Egypt I did consider it - I wanted folks to know that Americans and most of the people in the world have a lot in common and wanted the same things out of life.

BUT , not now, pal. NOW I'm a freaking CANADIAN!

I'm moving to the LoS with a wife and Kid and guess what, -

Take a look at Michael Scheuer's(aka Anonymous) new Book, "Imperial Hubris:..."

Take a good hard look at it.

Go ahead and be a tough ass marine -good for you. Me and my family, in Thailand, these days, we're Canadians! And proud of it.

:o

if you look throughout history the americans have made you what you are today

I love being an American but I love most of all living in Thailand

KHUNDAN SENDS

From 1964 to 1973, the US military, disguised as civilians, dropped 1.9 million metric tons on Laoos, equalling 10 tons per sq km, or over 1/2 ton for every man, woman, and child in Laos. During 580,944 sorties, the secret air force dropped an average of one planeload of bombs every eight minutes, 24 hours a day, for nine years.!

As late as November 1998, a foreign UXO expert in Xepon expressed his frustration that certain large bombs could not be exploded because they were in inhabitated areas, and they could not be defused because, so far, the US has refused to give the technical expertise to diffuse these bombs. These bombs sit there in villages, with the potential of explosion. The villagers know about them and stay away from them. Outsiders are not told of their whereabouts to prevent curiosity seekers from coming.

The 'rules of engagement' ("Romeos") were not followed as they were in Vietnam, and so temples and historical areas such as the Plain of Jars were not spared bombing.

Mrs Phut's young three year-old boy Poui, who survived the accident, remains in extreme pain as he awaits an operation to remove three pieces of shrapnel from the base of his spine, doctors said.

One of the boy's ears was ripped off by the force of the explosion and doctors have yet to determine if his hearing has been permanently impaired. In addition, he has many tiny puncture wounds from pieces of shrapnel that blew through his skin.

The devastated mother has trouble believing that this nightmare is real and that her three young children are indeed gone. She seemed utterly defeated when she said: "I think one day there be another deadly explosion like this in my village because there are still a lot of bombs to be found. We evil and now my worst fears have been realised."

So i guess your statement is correct afterall Dan, Maybe while your staying in Northern Thailand you can go visit some of these villages and tell them "YOU ARE WHAT YOU ARE COZ WE MADE YOU THIS WAY" im sure they will agree... The ones that are not dead that is.

Cheera Mango. :o

Most Thai's really can't distinguish between Americans, British, Australians, etc... When they can, they seem to like them all equally well. The only hostility you may encounter here will be from non-Thai's and that will most likely be limited to message board postings!

The US government is very unpopular here and, for that matter, everywhere else in the world. However, most people are able to tell the difference between American people and the American Government. Hopefully we will have a 'regime change" in November, otherwise things will only get worse for the image of America abroad!

Does that mean Central America is Ohio?

Central America is wherever the American is at that point in time.

You do not have to travel far from LOS to feel shame at being similar to an American - try Laos where "normal rules of engagement" did not apply during the Vietnam (SE Asian) war, the aftermath of that war has been obliterated by the Khmer Ruge in Cambodia who filled the vacuum that resulted from the US expulsion.

I have no problems being an American among other nationalities, as long as I make it clear that I am one of the sane ones (in other words, against our current junta for reasons better discussed in another forum).  Then I am welcomed.

Most Americans are also nice, feeling the same way I do.  It's the ones who live abroad and yet still somehow manage to be rabidly in favor of the Iraq debacle, etc., that I steer clear of much in the manner of one avoiding a mad dog.

"ken"

Hmmmmm. So if I don't feel the same way you do, I am not a "nice" American (and maybe even "mad"). Just having a little trouble agreeing with that one.

Most Americans I've met are nice, period, as well as many other nationalities. Exceptions to every rule....of course.

"Khun Larry"

I must say this is an example of the generic Politically Correct response you get nowadays from the politically correct unintelligencia.

They criticize a generalization and then the next words out of their mouth are ... you guessed it.... a generalization.

Criticize, no. Politically correct, maybe. Polite, I try to be.

Most Thai's really can't distinguish between Americans, British, Australians, etc... When they can, they seem to like them all equally well. The only hostility you may encounter here will be from non-Thai's and that will most likely be limited to message board postings!

The US government is very unpopular here and, for that matter, everywhere else in the world. However, most people are able to tell the difference between American people and the American Government. Hopefully we will have a 'regime change" in November, otherwise things will only get worse for the image of America abroad!

I'd have to disagree- US govt is extremely popular in Thailand and elsewhere in the world. It seems you only see the negative voices in the media, but you start chatting with people and most are normally pro yank/western. As far as change in Nov goes- I don't realistically think you will see any difference in foreign policies between Bush/Kerry.

mango...re: 'music in America' not a bit, but your earlier post on this thread was insulting and not a bit funny. I spent 10 miserable years in 'dear old Blighty' but I won't go into the details regarding the people, the food, the country, etc...

Spent 3 miserable months in the States. Great country around the Rockies, cities all the same and frankly far too many weirdos. Glad to cross the border to Canada to be honest.

first of all : i am swiss. people seem to like swiss. don't ask me why, i don't like them back home :o

2nd : i couldn't say if i've seen much american herding, not the contrary either, just haven't met many at all altho there's supposed to be lots.

but off all the many travellers, long-termers and expats i've met, only 1 was american. he was v friendly, not too proud about his countries history of wars & politics especially in se asia (he's a vietnam veteran settled in kanchanaburi) but not shy at all to admit that he's american. really seemed to me that he was trying to give a good (counter-) example of an american, nice fella.

apart from him i've not met a single american, never avoided them as far as i know, just never happened. tho i did happen to see many "danger mines"-t-shirt-wearer-retards from america (yank accent) walking around in cambodia, and was quite of glad i did not have to meet such people... made me quite sad and angry to see such ignorant a$$holes walking around really...

just thought it was funny i met way more people from a 7.5 billion inhabitants country (switzerland) than the usa...

sleir

Mr T.  He was American, wasn't he? 

That's B.A Barracas to you fool!

:D

Frightened of flying wasn't he. :D

I heard that a movie is being made of that classic t.v. masterpiece. ?

I heard (or herd to stay on topic :D ) that today.

Id like to see George Clooney as Hannibal!

Cant think of anybody to fill B.A.'s shoes

Lenny Henry?

but if i were walking down a dark street late at night and i saw a bunch of people coming towards me i would hope that they were americans rather than scumbag eurotrash.

Yep, the Yanks are more friendly and sometimes more naive but agree re. the dark alley! :D

yankees.jpg

Would you be scared if you saw these guys walking toward you on a dark night? :o

Always Friendly, but never Naive..

Go Yankees!!

yankees.jpg

The "N+Y" logo  ( see my Avatar ) is a secret symbol that is only known to other Americans ( who are into Baseball, more or less ) , so  they know where I'm from off the "bat".....  :D

The N+Y is one of the best known logos in the world. Synonyms with Yankees, NYC and USA my friend. You may as well wear an Uncle Sam hat.

I got that one too ( Big Uncle Sam Top Hat that is...! ) But I only wear it on the 4th of July... Any other time I'd look quite silly... :o

But Someday I'll wear it to Thailand.... :D

Posted from Morris Ave., Bronx NYC, US Capitol, World Capitol, Capital Capitol

Posted from Pine Street , Manhattan, NYC, Top of the Food Chain YO! :D

Hmm.....I always thought of Clooney as a "Face Man'.... :D