Thaivisa Launches Online Food Supermarket

Totster

Yes looks nice

But the prices of some things.....

I live out in the sticks but within 16km there are Tesco/Carrefour/Big C/Fresh Mart....... I would buy online but for the prices of some of these things

Carrefoure has 1a4fb483cf8c388720d6a90d05281313.jpg

A1 Steak Sauce - 240g

priced at 97 baht NOT 160baht

Tesco has

Branston Pickle - 310g

priced at 165 baht NOT 248baht

+

Colmans Mustard - 150g

priced 143baht NOT 256baht

just a couple of items that jumped out, and paying an extra 144baht kg for Pork Burger just because there Organic

Is the 'Emborg Cheddar Cheese 1KG (white)' different than the 2kg Australian Cheddar you can buy here at 1/2 the price?? [bought a block last Friday]

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only food 'worth' buying online is probably canned food, if we may call that food ...

It is amazing to see the people reacting to this thread and their choice of what they think is quality food ...

I am not surprised most come from the anglo-saxon world where you find it extraordinary cool to have mint sauce with your lamb !!...

Don't take this personnaly... we live in a free world

Hey, none taken!

We live in a free world indeed. Mostly due to the anglo-saxon people who like to eat unsophisticated food. You're welcome...

Edited by kmart

Great attempt at placating the expats' culinary needs, but what about DRINKS!!! It would be EXTREMELY usefull to be able to order foreign imported beers and wines using Thaivia Foods. I personally would like to be able to order Beer Lao on-line, as can be done in the UK. As of now, we expat out in the sticks must make a trek to Nong Kai or Bangers for our 'fix' of beer Lao (the BEST beer in the world! imho).

So PLEASE, add alcholic beverages to your list of products; you will get alot more customers for your service!

Cheers!

The only food 'worth' buying online is probably canned food, if we may call that food ...

It is amazing to see the people reacting to this thread and their choice of what they think is quality food ...

I am not surprised most come from the anglo-saxon world where you find it extraordinary cool to have mint sauce with your lamb !!...

Don't take this personnaly... we live in a free world

What a snotty post you have made.

Condiscending !!!!!that "your quality food" most certainly would not include anything out of a tin.As you say its a free world so I am overjoyed that you will allow me to have mint sauce on my lamb,apple sauce on my pork and branston pickle on my sausages..Sardines, from a tin ,on toast

The point of the desire of these foods isnt that we cant live without them,but we simply enjoy them.They bring back memories of earlier times at home.No one is suggesting that these foods are "quality",but are simply 'heavenly' to the beholder.

Lighten up...live and let live.. ...have you ever eaten anything else except your 'quality'food?'...what ever that may be...enlighten us...just what...in your priggish mind denotes,, your quality food from that of others??

Thaivisa Launches Online Food Supermarket

food.thaivisa.com

BANGKOK: -- Thaivisa.com has partnered with leading food suppliers in Bangkok to deliver good quality “farang” food direct to your doorstep, nationwide in Thailand

Launched today, Thaivisa Food aims to give all expats living in Thailand access to some of the favourite tastes from home, that may normally only be available to those living in Bangkok or other built up areas.

Customers will be able to choose from a broad range of goods, including premium grain fed beef products, cheeses, gourmet products and a large selection of imported groceries including old favourites such as Marmite, Branston Pickle, Bisto and Robinsons Squash.

Having a BBQ ? Why not offer your guests a real treat and cook them proper sausages like found at home, high quality grain fed beef burgers, and a selection of superior quality grain fed beef steaks, all your favourite cuts available.

Products will be dispatched from Bangkok and delivered next day via TNT to ensure they arrive in the best possible condition.

Well I tried but I dont think they are ready for Prime Time.

Only country accepted in billing information appears to be Thailand. Then when I used my Thai Card it totally hung up on the next step.

Let me know if you get it working??

--thaivisa.com 2008-04-17

Url: http://food.thaivisa.com

Looks like a great idea and I hope it comes to Phuket soon.

If I may offer some constructive criticism: Not all "farangs" like to eat Danish Feta and Danish Mozzarella. Its not clear to me why Thailand always favours the Danish versions of these cheeses over the more traditional Greek and Italian versions.

If I may offer some constructive criticism: Not all "farangs" like to eat Danish Feta and Danish Mozzarella. Its not clear to me why Thailand always favours the Danish versions of these cheeses over the more traditional Greek and Italian versions.

It's because the Danish variation of cheeses are more effordable here in Thailand for consumers than the Greek and Italian version ones(what I think).

Gerd

Sausage rolls!!!!

I don't have a oven!!!!

You can buy a electric one anywhere from 450baht !! ideal for pies etc, cheese on toast

Maybe Thaivisa Food could add one of these electric ovens to the product list? It's not food, of course, but it's food-related. Good idea?

The idea is o.k., but it is much anglican culture junkfood.

The two cheeses from Holland are probably young age cheeses, wich is cheaper then middle and old age cheese, wich has a stronger taste. I would like to see more European mainland products from France, Italy, Germany, Belgium and The Netherlands.

The prices are rather high also. So there has to be done some more research and sharp calculation.

The start is o.k., but I'm not buying yet.

I would like to see more European mainland products from France, Italy, Germany, Belgium and The Netherlands.

The prices are rather high also. So there has to be done some more research and sharp calculation.

I second the above statement.

How about pasta (for example Spätzle from Germany) and instant stuff from Knorr/Maggie for European foods like Goulash, Sauerbraten etc. which are very difficult to find here. Instant potato dumplings (Knödel) are also on my wish list. And how about real 'Weingummi' (wine/fruit jelly) and liquorice (licorice?) from Haribo etc.?

Marzipan confectionery is also in demand in our family.

Grozette Parmesan cheese from Holland is one item I can no longer find here, it was much cheaper than the salty Kraft and Imperial stuff.

This on-line supermarket is a great idea and I've been waiting for something like this for a long time. Though living in the suburbs of BKK I'm ready to pay a slightly higher price for the convenience of home delivery.

opalhort

Well I'll know for sure next Thursday if the product lives up to the pictures. I'll be sure to let you all know. :o

BTW - Sales@food.

I didn't see the discount coupon until after I'd finished and payed for my order. Any chance of a date extension until I place another? :D

Cheers,

Soundman.

So nationwide means exactly that does it? :D If so I'm well up for that and 2500 baht means I get free delivery then all the Better. But how the hel_l can you do free delivery from Bangkok to Mae Hong Son when the chances are I will be the only delivery???

I'll put my order in and see and hopefully we can start doing English fry ups in the restaurant. :o At the moment it costs me over 2500baht in fuel and 9-10 hours driving to go to Chiang Mai and back which puts the cost of the food up quite considerably! :D

If TNT are anything like UPS who had a whole days travelling over the most twisting mountainous road in Thailand just to deliver me a GPS. I cant really see I will get a second order delivered and the chances of it being cold?

Pai is about the only place to get something slightly western but a months shopping could keep a small African village in weapons and ammunition for a year! Today a block of butter has gone up from the last purchase from 45 to 75 baht! hel_l!

Edited by Enduro

Many people prefer the smoothness of the danish feta. My favorite feta cheese is from Turkey.

How about pasta (for example Spätzle from Germany) and instant stuff from Knorr/Maggie for European foods like Goulash, Sauerbraten etc. which are very difficult to find here.

Don't you have a kitchen? Your avatar suggests, you are married. "Never marry a girl, who is not able to cook": I heard my mother say...

For example "Rouladen" for 50,- THB/portion:

rouladen.jpg

Don't you have a kitchen? Your avatar suggests, you are married. "Never marry a girl, who is not able to cook": I heard my mother say...

:o ...

Yes, my wife cooks great Thai food.

I take care of cooking western food and me being lazy by nature instant seasonings are the way to go.

An other point is that yes most spices required for western food are readily available here but quite expensive. If you only use some once or twice a year you can throw the remainder away because they've expired. Hence - my request for premixed instant seasonings which can be used for one meal.

opalhort

Whilst I have to agree with many posters that the prices are , shall we say, a bit excessive, the idea is a good one. I can only hope that it is a farang run business, and as such will use the principle that the more we sell the cheaper we can make it, coz we can get it cheaper in bulk. This is opposed to the Thai business principle that you can buy one bottle of milk for 37B or a two pack for 75B and you can buy one tin of dog food for 45B or a 4 pack for 185B !!. And as I was told in Tesco's Udon Branch ....... "we havn't got any Weetabix, because every time we stock it people buy it too quickly, so we didn't order it ".

As I try to do a fair bit of cooking myself, I would like to see items like Marzipan, Suet, Peppermint essence, Digestive buscuits, packs of Pork Sausagemeat and maybe some PROPER chocolate items (that are not made under licence in Asia for the Asian market) ............... oh , AND SOME PROPER BOTTLE CONDITIONED BRITISH BEERS.

Now my taste buds are working overtime ........ what about Sultanas (not seen in Udon for 18months) Lemons (only seen here once in 4 years but managed to buy 10 for 5Bt !! in the market), mixed peel, proper Glace cherries, English style Pork Pies, Cornish Pasties.

The most important has to be SUET, as it is used in so many recepies (I can already taste the Jam Rolly Polly and bread pudding !!)

Now my taste buds are working overtime ........ what about Sultanas (not seen in Udon for 18months) Lemons (only seen here once in 4 years but managed to buy 10 for 5Bt !! in the market), mixed peel, proper Glace cherries, English style Pork Pies, Cornish Pasties.

The most important has to be SUET, as it is used in so many recepies (I can already taste the Jam Rolly Polly and bread pudding !!)

Do you not have any Bakery Wholesale Outlets up there ??

mixed peel, proper Glace cherries, Sultanas, Marzipan, Butter, Caster Sugar, Iceing sugar, Cooking Choc etc etc all sold by the kg.

+ lots of different Pie fillings..... I also find that the Alum/Foil cooking containers are 1/2 the price you would pay in the Supermarkets + have many more different sizes.

Do you not have any Bakery Wholesale Outlets up there ??

ARE YOU KIDDING !!

We have Tesco/Big C sliced bread, or a farang guy from Manchester who bakes "proper" bread to order. He can only bake a couple of types of bread because he can't get half the ingredients he needs.

I'd KILL (or arrange to kill as this is Thailand) for a regular supply of Marzipan. The only time I see it is when a friend brings some over from UK for me (once a year for the mixed peel and sultana less) xmas cake.

Choc covered bars of marzipan ............hhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ........ gone off into wild dream !!

........ for a regular supply of Marzipan. The only time I see it is when a friend brings some over from UK for me (once a year for the mixed peel and sultana less) xmas cake.

Choc covered bars of marzipan ............hhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ........ gone off into wild dream !!

Pop down to Malaysia or Singapore.

You can usually find these items on the shelf there.

post-7384-1208856662_thumb.jpg

Thanks very much Thai Visa Food. :D

Just tucking into an "Australian Maet Pie"that tastes like an aussie meat pie. :o

Delivery came through just as ordered. Food was still frozen & delivered in good condition.

Can't wait to sample all the sausages.

Cheers,

Soundman. :D