What Is The Ethnic Makeup Of Your Thai Gf?

RY12

There's no Siamese (pure Thai) in there

Siamese is nothing to do with 'pure Thai'. There are still those who would change the name back to Siam precisely because it is more inclusive of all the ethnic groups that are part of 'Thailand'.

And I'm not sure that the term 'Tai Noi' has been used, except perhaps in a derogatory or condescending way by Thais. 'Tai Yai' refers to the Shan.

Sorry you are both wrong, the whole reason the country was renamed Thailand is because it was more inclusive of all the ethnic groups, not the other way around. Siamese Thai refers only to the people of the Chao Phraya basin. As such the country name "Siam" is not very inclusive.

There is no one Tai ethnic group which is "pure Thai". A Thai person is someone with Thai citizenship who may be ethnically Thai Lao, Siamese Thai etc...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Threads so stupid over 500 people have read it. :o

I also, find peoples ethnic backgrounds interesting. When I lived in Samutsogkram I found the women there very beautiful. A lot on Mon and Mon/ Chinese mix. Much different from Isaan or Chiang-mai.

There's no Siamese (pure Thai) in there

Siamese is nothing to do with 'pure Thai'. There are still those who would change the name back to Siam precisely because it is more inclusive of all the ethnic groups that are part of 'Thailand'.

And I'm not sure that the term 'Tai Noi' has been used, except perhaps in a derogatory or condescending way by Thais. 'Tai Yai' refers to the Shan.

Sorry you are both wrong, the whole reason the country was renamed Thailand is because it was more inclusive of all the ethnic groups, not the other way around. Siamese Thai refers only to the people of the Chao Phraya basin. As such the country name "Siam" is not very inclusive.

The country was renamed by a right-wing government that wanted to assert the country's 'Thainess' and the dominance of the Thais (not Tais) as opposed to other ethnic groups. It reverted to Siam for a period and was then renamed as Thailand for a second time. Sulak Sivaraksa has written quite extensively on why he feels that 'Siam' is much more inclusive than 'Thailand' and he doesn't use the name 'Thailand' himself.

You're right that there is no pure Tai group, but that hasn't prevented a Thai national identity developing within the area now covered by the modern nation state. Sujit Wongtes suggests that the first references to Siam (or 'Siem'), on murals at Anglor Wat, were describing people from an area centering on Vientiane, and not necessarily an ethnic group, who would later spread and become the dominant force in the Chao Phraya basin.

Edited by KhaoNiaw

I think most other scholars on the subject tend to disagree with Sulak Sivaraksa's view here. Yes Thailand was created to promote a more Thai national identity, doesn't that in itself suggest that all ethnic groups would be included into such an identity (even if unfortunately it may have gone to far the other way). Everyone inside the nation state became Thai, irrespective of their ethnic background. On the other hand Siam uses the name of the Siamese Thai people living in central Thailand (even if technically it is not an ethnic group in it's own right) which certainly does not include any other ethnic groups found elsewhere in the country.

Edited by madjbs

Khao Niaw,

After reading this

http://davidinsiam.blogspot.com/2007/04/si...ll-peoples.html

I can see where your view is coming from now but I still don't think it is a particularly strong argument. I will agree he makes some good points but I still think the name "Siam" is historically considered by many people to be the Ayuthaya region of Thailand and therefore to these people is just as exclusive as "Thailand" may be to non Tai ethnic groups.

Interesting topic but maybe off topic here :o

Edited by madjbs

FIVE RULES FOR MEN TO FOLLOW TO A HAPPY LIFE:

>

> 1. It's important to have a woman, who helps at home, who cooks from

> time to time, cleans up and has a job.

>

> 2. It's important to have a woman, who can make you laugh.

>

> 3. It's important to have a woman, who you can trust and who doesn't

> lie to you.

>

> 4. It's important to have a woman, who is good in bed and who likes

> to be with you.

>

> 5. It's very, very important that these four women do not know each

> other.

>

My Wife is

50% Chinese 25% Portugese 25% Thai

Is she from old phuket? That's an interesting one.

FYI, ANYONE CAN POST their wife's ethnic makeup too, I didn't intended to limit the thread to girlfriends.

Edited by RY12

My significant other is 100% Isaan and very proud of it, but doesn't really look the part.

Tall and slim like mama, the prominent nose like her biological father (papa other as she calls him) she made out well in the gene pool.

M4348d1.JPG

I'm a very lucky man.

~WISteve

My wife is 50% Thai 25% Pakistani 25% Chinese....and 100% hotness :D

And its not a stupid thread, a lil silly but fun :o

cool! right on, lighten up everybody else! :D I'm not trying to make it a competition, just curious in ethnology in Thailand.

----------------------

I didn't think you were bragging, simply curious.

I don't see the problem. I'm interested in ethnic diversity and origins too.

Well everyone gets to show their colors here.

Pun intended... :D

My significant other is 100% Isaan and very proud of it, but doesn't really look the part.

She is beautiful, ...what is the other part you think she looks like? My girl has similar high, wide cheekbones that I think people associate with vietnam or the hill tribes, but actually i think it's just as isaan or thai as anything else.

My Wife is

50% Chinese 25% Portugese 25% Thai

Is she from old phuket? That's an interesting one.

FYI, ANYONE CAN POST their wife's ethnic makeup too, I didn't intended to limit the thread to girlfriends.

Nah she is from BKK.

Im half Korean half Scottish, so our kid would be abit of a mix

25% korean, 25% Scottish, 25% Chinese, 12.5% Portugese 12.5% Thai

MrsE2B is 50% Thai. The rest 50% is mixture of Chinese and Mon. According to her mum, her great, greatgrand was Portuguese as well, although I'm not too sure about that. I have to say that her grandma (the Mon) looks slightly Western.

She is beautiful, ...what is the other part you think she looks like? My girl has similar high, wide cheekbones that I think people associate with vietnam or the hill tribes, but actually i think it's just as isaan or thai as anything else.

With the high cheekbones, straight nose and light skin I've always thought she looked more central thai/chinese.

But the skin color is obviously effected by career choices.

I'm finally going to meet her brother next month and he also has worked in a factory along the coast most of his adult life. We'll see if they bear a resemblance or not?

~WISteve

Edited by WISteve

~WISteve

I like her eyebrows. My wife is also 100% Isaan, but doesn't look anything like yours. This topic remind of the movie "Best in Show". My wife would kill me if I posted her pic, but I have no problem with you posting yours.

OK, it is a stupid tittle not a stupid thread. Geneology can be very interesting, and I do not know enough about mine. Got German,Sweedish, French, (Cajun) blood in my viens. The wife.... Hmmm Asian? No really I have been told by her, that several generations back she had "white" in the family... I have been told she looks to be of Burmese decent (and that was supposed to be some type of insult) All I can say is she has a thin face, high cheeck bones and BIG eyes. (no not mangos) (sorry guys) She is short but not squaty, and in some ways strikeing in beauty. The odd thing is, she is the only one in her family that looks like this. Her family members are all dark but her. I would say that she is a fluke, but she has a younger cousin that could pass for twin so I guess she is not a fluke.

Our son.... extremely handsome..... smart too. (He has shots and papers too)

And I have a piece of string that is very long

there you see taken in its true spirit, a great didcussion can be had.

I have been told she looks to be of Burmese decent (and that was supposed to be some type of insult) All I can say is she has a thin face, high cheeck bones and BIG eyes. (no not mangos) (sorry guys) She is short but not squaty, and in some ways strikeing in beauty. The odd thing is, she is the only one in her family that looks like this. Her family members are all dark but her. I would say that she is a fluke, but she has a younger cousin that could pass for twin so I guess she is not a fluke.

I've never heard the Burmese insult, but I have heard thais say 'u have a Lao nose' (flat and wide). Such a detailed description, you can't post a photo? Have several people made the Burmese remark?

FIVE RULES FOR MEN TO FOLLOW TO A HAPPY LIFE:

>

> 1. It's important to have a woman, who helps at home, who cooks from

> time to time, cleans up and has a job.

>

> 2. It's important to have a woman, who can make you laugh.

>

> 3. It's important to have a woman, who you can trust and who doesn't

> lie to you.

>

> 4. It's important to have a woman, who is good in bed and who likes

> to be with you.

>

> 5. It's very, very important that these four women do not know each

> other.

>

well ive got one out of five, thats not bad.

my wife is the classic khymer sandstone carving, 100%, wide face flat nose,wide. if youve been to ankor youve seen my wife many many times. no pic needed. what i have found interesting is the likeness/similarity to inca peruvian andees typefaces to thai ladies in particular. they must be related in some way . to me they look like relatives. be interested to see what DNA would make of it.. had a wife from a previouse live, half jamacan, that half was 50/50 chinees black african, so 25% chinees 25% negriod 50% caucasion, a lovely mix i must say.