Farang, Down On His Luck, Skvt Soi 5

tourleadersi

Think I may have seen the same guy today at Asoke. In his fifties, grey hair glasses, with a big suitcase. He was sat out side with a big sign asking for a job. Didn't have time to talk with him as was late for a Dr's appointment, but he looked a little more genuine than some of the ususal ones floating around.

In the end it can happen to anyone if certain circumstances come together at the same time. Hope the guy gets himself sorted.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I may have seen the same guy today at Asoke. In his fifties, grey hair glasses, with a big suitcase. He was sat out side with a big sign asking for a job. Didn't have time to talk with him as was late for a Dr's appointment, but he looked a little more genuine than some of the ususal ones floating around.

In the end it can happen to anyone if certain circumstances come together at the same time. Hope the guy gets himself sorted.

Genuinely what? Alcoholic? Disturbed? Psychopathic...? :D He might have a bomb or a collection of severed heads in that big suitcase of his. :o

Round them all up and gas them like badgers.

Genuinely what? Alcoholic? Disturbed? Psychopathic...? :D He might have a bomb or a collection of severed heads in that big suitcase of his. :D

Well he certainly did not appear to be psychoathic, disturbed or an alcoholic - although I maybe should have observed him for a little longer before formulating a diagnosis :o . As I've said, I don't know the guys circumstances, but he had a clear sign saying he was looking for work, which is little different from the usual ,"have you got any spare change, Guv?"

I'm no fan of beggars in general, but I'm pretty certain there are some genuine cases around.

For the poster who pointed out my 'sole' instead of 'soul' spelling error.

I fear you have mis-Plaiced my meaning, it was a little bit of a Red Herring, but seriously, I am the last man to critisize someones spelling, it was a poor attempt at humour nothing more.

You would probably change your tuna if you knew that in 'school' I was put in a special grouper as they discovered that I was hard of herring and didnt know my plaice. I used to bream of the day when things would change, thinking 'arowana is to be normal' but all I did was flounder. Man I need to get out more. Over and trout.

:o

Moss

You guys probably studied your Reeling and Writhing with an old Crab, too!

(apologies to Lewis Carroll)

Special to YoungFarang13: Up your game, sir, or lose your turn.

I saw that guy at Christmas and in January - at Asok and outside the pharmacist opposite NEP

With the case and his CV stuck to it asking for a job - radio engineer I seem to recall.

I was previously homeless, and I compliment the OP on his compassion and concern for another human being. I think, as suggested already, the best thing to do would be to talk to the guy when you are without pram. I would imagine that homeless on the street of a foreign country, where you might not know the language, must be a scary place to be. Anybody can end up in this position.

A few years ago I got into a terrible place with my addiction to alcohol and other things. I used to hang around Pat Pong and the most compassionate people around were the bar-girls - I could write a book about that! One morning after I had been robbed and was so desparate to get my next fix that I approached a fellow drinking coffee and asked for some money - he told me to f*c* off and get a job. Another guy came over and asked me what the problem was. I told him the truth - he took me to a local hospital and put in contact with people that saved my life. A little bit of compassion can unbelievably change MANY people's lives.

Never lose hope in the hopeless.

To John_Rambo, post #29, read this one.

I saw that guy at Christmas and in January - at Asok and outside the pharmacist opposite NEP

With the case and his CV stuck to it asking for a job - radio engineer I seem to recall.

I hope its not an old American guy I used to know. He was formerly an engineer with a number of US tech companies including Western Digital and the like then came to Thailand and fell apart. Ended up on a permanent overstay and sold his passport and begging farangs in bars for money. (Not too sympathetic when an old white guy comes up to you drunk asking to borrow money) Whenever he did have money he'd get paralytically drunk then disappear until he next found some money from somewhere.

Living in a concrete box with an elderly Nana Plaza bar girl who used to beat him quite regularly and ten members of her family. Hope she hasn't finally snapped and thrown him out.

Apparantly waiting for his US pension to start in a couple of years and just trying to stay alive till then, but

his alcoholism seems to have reached the point where he's suffering from brain damage. He sends out long rambling emails full of bizarre conspiracy theories and is constantly going on about herbs for his health even when he's no money for food and spends whatever money he does have on alcohol.

He did have jobs. Initially engineering jobs, then teaching jobs with farang run language schools, then with Thai run schools and then just the occassional filling in for missing teachers when they were desperate. Don't know why he kept losing his jobs, but I can imagine with his mental illness and alcoholism. He even lost a job with one of those scam boiler shop companies within a week so he must be pretty much unemployable at this point regardless of how clean he makes himself

Haven't seen him in a few years as he was banned from the bar I used to bump in to him at for begging from the farang customers. He must have really gone over the top doing it as the owners of that bar are very nice compassionate people who had really cut him a LOT of slack over the years.

This is a typical story of decline I've seen in many many farang and they're unhelpable as they won't leave Thailand and they can't recover until they do. I've paid the dues a few times over the years proving this.

, he probably has a book of poems or songs in his back pocket. who knows what magical things he has seen during his journey.

umm, i wouldn't bet on that ? i don't think the journey from starry-eyed tourist to scruffy tramp on the street would be very magical :o

it looks like thailand is a magnet to druggies and alcoholics

hi blizzard. hows it going. lol

I thought it might be more likely tonyleung as the spelling is too good for Blizzard

"I hope its not an old American guy I used to know. He was formerly an engineer with a number of US tech companies including Western Digital and the like then came to Thailand and fell apart."

For some reason Western Digital rings a bell with regard to his CV - I had a chance to read it while waiting for an ATM

He does look very clean and presentable - he has a carry on size case with him with his CV attached to it.

I did see him being passed a bottle of Thai whiskey one night at the entrance to Nana hotel car park.

it looks like thailand is a magnet to druggies and alcoholics

hi blizzard. hows it going. lol

I thought it might be more likely tonyleung as the spelling is too good for Blizzard

I always thought that guy Blizzard deliberately mispelled his posts for a bit of attention. YoungFarang13 definitely reminds me of him. YF13 had gone a bit quite on this thread since the mention of Blizzard.

"I hope its not an old American guy I used to know. He was formerly an engineer with a number of US tech companies including Western Digital and the like then came to Thailand and fell apart."

For some reason Western Digital rings a bell with regard to his CV - I had a chance to read it while waiting for an ATM

He does look very clean and presentable - he has a carry on size case with him with his CV attached to it.

I did see him being passed a bottle of Thai whiskey one night at the entrance to Nana hotel car park.

Is he tall, skinny and bald?

I wouldn't say he was skinny, and If I recall from today he had some grey hair. He was most certainly wearing glasses and had a blue suitcase.

From what you have said, he sounds like a bit of an "interesting" character who has self destructed if it is the same guy.

I wouldn't say he was skinny, and If I recall from today he had some grey hair. He was most certainly wearing glasses and had a blue suitcase.

From what you have said, he sounds like a bit of an "interesting" character who has self destructed if it is the same guy.

The one I saw was not that tall and had a full head of grey hair - side partern in a 70's style but not long

Definately radio engineer was the job wanted and I remembered thinking if he has not worked lately his skills will be well out of date

I hope its not him. He was very skinny last time I saw him and he's bald with a fringe of white hair, although last time I saw him he was shaving his whole head.

As I say, I hope its not him, although I've been expecting his psycho GF to kick him out at some point. (She really is psycho and takes meds, except she can't afford them very often so she's frequently psycho)

There was really only one end result for him once he slid so low that his brain started failing. Sad if its him and its happened though

The one I saw was not that tall and had a full head of grey hair - side partern in a 70's style but not long

Definately radio engineer was the job wanted and I remembered thinking if he has not worked lately his skills will be well out of date

Good, its not him.

Although advertising on the street outside Nana for a job as a radio engineer seems to indicate another mental burnout case

Good, its not him.

Although advertising on the street outside Nana for a job as a radio engineer seems to indicate another mental burnout case

Not the best place to be advertising for a job maybe he's decided that Asoke is the place to be in the day.

Genuinely what? Alcoholic? Disturbed? Psychopathic...? :D He might have a bomb or a collection of severed heads in that big suitcase of his. :D

Well he certainly did not appear to be psychoathic, disturbed or an alcoholic - although I maybe should have observed him for a little longer before formulating a diagnosis :o . As I've said, I don't know the guys circumstances, but he had a clear sign saying he was looking for work, which is little different from the usual ,"have you got any spare change, Guv?"

I'm no fan of beggars in general, but I'm pretty certain there are some genuine cases around.

I first saw this fellow about 3 months ago standing with his suitcase and sign seeking help finding a job, in front ot the subway station at Asoke/Sukhmvit. I talked to him for about 30 min. At that time he told me his Thai wife of many years had thrown him out of their condo and he had no place to stay. Obviously he is now staying somewhere but I haven't talked to him since although I did see him several times since then. He didn't ask for money. As i had worked for many years in the MiddleEast I gave him a couple of job possibiilities and even suggested he take his suitcase and sign down to in front of the Nana Hotel as that area has many expats coming in from the middle east. He was sober and talked inteligently enough.

I first saw this fellow about 3 months ago standing with his suitcase and sign seeking help finding a job, in front ot the subway station at Asoke/Sukhmvit. I talked to him for about 30 min. At that time he told me his Thai wife of many years had thrown him out of their condo and he had no place to stay. Obviously he is now staying somewhere but I haven't talked to him since although I did see him several times since then. He didn't ask for money. As i had worked for many years in the MiddleEast I gave him a couple of job possibiilities and even suggested he take his suitcase and sign down to in front of the Nana Hotel as that area has many expats coming in from the middle east. He was sober and talked inteligently enough.

Good on you, m8. :D (I was joking in the earlier post)

Hope the bloke fell on some good luck due to you.

Edited by kmart

When I first saw him it was in front of the Nana Hotel about 3 months ago - he must have taken your advice.

I saw him again at the Asoke BTS later though.

As you pointed out I never saw him ask for money and he looked sober and quite well presented given the circumstances.

I know this may be a strange post but does anyone know a girl fom Vientiane Laos her name is Layla,she hangs around koh san road and sukhumvit a bit.Its fairly important I get in touch with her.

Cheers Bazz

He's not too fussy then, will only accept Expat Package. I'll assume that a local plus is no good for him either.

Think he may be in for a long wait.

I know this may be a strange post but does anyone know a girl fom Vientiane Laos her name is Layla,she hangs around koh san road and sukhumvit a bit.Its fairly important I get in touch with her.

Cheers Bazz

He's not too fussy then, will only accept Expat Package. I'll assume that a local plus is no good for him either.

Think he may be in for a long wait.

That was my impression too. Only wants an expat package? Hmmm, someone ought to tell him that streets are not where expats are usually recruited from...

If he is a native English speaker and can put together one set of clean clothes he could get a job teaching English right away. It might only be a few hundred baht an hour but if you were genuinely in need of work, SURELY that is an option, if just to get you through the tough times? And some schools would pay you by the day if you were desperate.

I feel sorry for this guy, but perhaps he is not quite as desperate as he makes out?

A few years ago I got into a terrible place with my addiction to alcohol and other things. I used to hang around Pat Pong and the most compassionate people around were the bar-girls - I could write a book about that! One morning after I had been robbed and was so desparate to get my next fix that I approached a fellow drinking coffee and asked for some money - he told me to f*c* off and get a job. Another guy came over and asked me what the problem was. I told him the truth - he took me to a local hospital and put in contact with people that saved my life. A little bit of compassion can unbelievably change MANY people's lives.

Never lose hope in the hopeless.

Good comment. Many of the girls come from Isaan villages. I wonder of the kind village woman in them comes out when they see someone down on their luck. I have never spent much time in BKK ot the tourist areas but I know that in the villages NOONE goes hungry.

Edited by Bryan in Isaan

Expat wages only. :o

The dude could get a job teaching English tomorrow that would pay enough to get off the streets while he looks for a better job in the meantime.

clearly he has higher standards than that. He probably only eats out of The Marriot and Landmark dumpsters.

Edited by YoungFarang13