Indian Food Product

wjmark

Hey all,

I am down south on holidays, and have found a packaged Indian curry product that I think is great.

It is a line of packaged Indian dishes that need no refrigeration or freezing. And they are ready to eat.

They are made by a major Indian company, and have no additives or preservatives. The one I tried (Khadi Pakhora - yoghurt curry with chickpea fritters) was great.

They have about 10 different dishes (I am not sure if all are vegetarian), and I am going to bring back 10 of each to Chiang Mai.

If there is an interest, I may start bringing more to CM, and distributing them.

Any interest?

I'll let people know when I return, and maybe we'll have a tasting party somewhere...

cheers, Mark

p.s. -- I am away from the internet for most of my holiday, but I will check in occassionally.

Hey all,

I am down south on holidays, and have found a packaged Indian curry product that I think is great.

It is a line of packaged Indian dishes that need no refrigeration or freezing. And they are ready to eat.

They are made by a major Indian company, and have no additives or preservatives. The one I tried (Khadi Pakhora - yoghurt curry with chickpea fritters) was great.

They have about 10 different dishes (I am not sure if all are vegetarian), and I am going to bring back 10 of each to Chiang Mai.

If there is an interest, I may start bringing more to CM, and distributing them.

Any interest?

I'll let people know when I return, and maybe we'll have a tasting party somewhere...

cheers, Mark

p.s. -- I am away from the internet for most of my holiday, but I will check in occassionally.

Count me in as a customer!

Don't forget that we now have Patak's chutneys at Tops (maybe Rimping too by now) and good ole Sharwood's sweet mango chutney too.

If you can get the strong and very strong brinjal flavour 'mixed vegetable pickle' by a company named Priya please do. Can't find it in CM yet. Any lime pickle anywhere, or is that too much to ask?

Hey. We have the makings of a Curry Club here!

Same way as in India presumably... they don't. :o

Before we all get bitter and cynical, let me make a prediction:

Before very long we lucky folks in CM will have a great choice of good, authentic Indian dishes to buy in the shops and take home for great taste and great value. Both dry and frozen.

All the joys of India without having to actually go there, Jeffers!!

Howdy!

Coming back to CM at the end of the week.

These dishes are packaged in pouches similar to tetra-boxs. Just like a tin can, the food stays fresh...

I'll post when I get back with my box o' India.

India - without going there!

Mark

Hey all,

Any interest?

cheers, Mark

Don't forget that we now have Patak's chutneys at Tops (maybe Rimping too by now) and good ole Sharwood's sweet mango chutney too.

If you can get the strong and very strong brinjal flavour 'mixed vegetable pickle' by a company named Priya please do. Can't find it in CM yet. Any lime pickle anywhere, or is that too much to ask?

You mean Patak's pickles, right? I've never seen them at Top's Kad Suan Kaew, where are they?

I always bring back a few jars of Pataks Curry Paste from Canada - haven't seen them here - they are great.

And I brought you a jar of Priya mixed vegetable pickle.

We'll talk!

Cheers, Mark

Look at what I brought back from Bangkok!

I tried the Palak Paneer - and it was great - even had a nice little bit of oil on top - see photos! The Rajma beans are great, and the Vegie Pulao is pretty nice too. The Shahi Paneer was nicely spicy.

I wanted more Kadhi Pakora, but he was out of stock - my favourite - yoghurt curry with fritters!!! Next shipment...

Mark

post-55564-1210304484_thumb.jpg

post-55564-1210304638_thumb.jpg

post-55564-1210304695_thumb.jpg

Tried the paneer butter masala - a little spicy and really rich and creamy.

I haven't even tried heating one of these pacs up yet - just rip it open and dig in...

The Indian website:

http://www.mtrfoods.com/readytoeat/index.htm

An interesting article:on the company - Old Indian family restaurant - now a really big company. Really modern (iso9002) and it sounds like the Indian army use these foods as military field rations!

http://www.indianembassy.org/US_Media/2002...y%20Expands.htm

Edited by wjmark

few more pics - note the good ingredients.

I finally tried some heated up - classy!

Sambar Rice, which was better than I thought it would be - pretty good for precooked rice dish - wet, and with South Indian taste - different - I liked it.

And Dal Mahkni - great! It had a few red kidney beans mixed into the dal. Creamy. Really great dal.

These meals are great at room temp, but I must say, they are even better heated up!

post-55564-1210416119_thumb.jpg

post-55564-1210416251_thumb.jpg

post-55564-1210416552_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I have already sold a goodly bunch of what I brought back. People love them. This is pretty classy gourmet cuisine.

So I am going to place a larger order this week...

If anyone is interested in this, PM me for more details. For now the price will be 1000bt for 8 dishes - but in the near future I hope to be able to supply 100 for 10,000bt.

I gotta say, it is nice to have a delicious and healthy Indian restaurant just sitting in the cupboard! I have more than 20 different dishes waiting for me...

Thanks, Mark

---

For breakfast I had a couple of fried eggs with Alu Methi (potatos with fenugreek leaves) and a couple of tortillas. Great mix!

For lunch had Paneer Makhani and Peas & Mushroom Curry.

The Paneer was fantastic - light, creamy, slight onion taste to the gravy - wow.

Peas and Mushrooms were ok. A little too much tomato to the sauce for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I always bring back a few jars of Pataks Curry Paste from Canada - haven't seen them here - they are great.

We'll talk!

Cheers, Mark

Hi WJ..............

Tried to talk - and brought 2 or 3 things for you to taste too.

Waited at Royal India on the 20th from 11.30am, as you suggested, for very nearly an hour and you didn't show.

The boss there even offered me spoons to help taste the goods I'd brought in!!

But no WJ, no phone call, no letter, no PM, no Priya - aaarrgghhhh - how can I go on????????

And why?

We'll talk!

Cheers, Mark

Hi WJ..............

Waited at Royal India on the 20th from 11.30am, as you suggested, for very nearly an hour and you didn't show.

But no WJ, no phone call, no letter, no PM, no Priya - aaarrgghhhh - how can I go on????????

And why?

VERY SORRY! - I was sure you said you would call me first in the morning to confirm. I just assumed you were busy...

Lunch tomorrow? Can you manage two Indian meals in a week?!?!?!??? LOL

Call me early as you like in the morning - I'll try you too...

Let's satisfy this itch!

Mark

Edited by wjmark

We'll talk!

Cheers, Mark

Hi WJ..............

And why?

VERY SORRY! - I was sure you said you would call me first in the morning to confirm. I just assumed you were busy...

Lunch tomorrow? Can you manage two Indian meals in a week?!?!?!??? LOL

Call me early as you like in the morning - I'll try you too...

Let's satisfy this itch!

Mark

ps - And I will certainly bring some treats

For those who travel to Bangkok, I just noticed that the minimart in the condo where I stay in Bangkok carries the whole kine of MTR INdian products. They cost 80 baht per item.

The building is "The Grand" located next to the Four Seasons Hotel on Rajadamri Road, Soi Mahadlekluang 2. It's just 20 meters or so from the Rajadamri BTS stop.

For those who travel to Bangkok, I just noticed that the minimart in the condo where I stay in Bangkok carries the whole kine of MTR INdian products. They cost 80 baht per item.

The building is "The Grand" located next to the Four Seasons Hotel on Rajadamri Road, Soi Mahadlekluang 2. It's just 20 meters or so from the Rajadamri BTS stop.

Very helpful, thanks. Any chance they have REAL Lime Pickle? Two weeks ago in Bkk I tried India Hut restaurant for the first time. Delicious, but their chunky, tough, almost inedible lime pickle was the big let down.

Mrs Balbir's has it for FREE on their table condiment set and that IS the real deal!

PS: WJMark and i have made up and reinstated our tasting. More at the month end.