Buying A Second Hand Car

CRUNCHER

As a foreign buyer, you'll need your passport and a certificate of residence (obtained from immigration). If you hold a valid work permit, the certificate of residence is not needed.

From the seller you'll need the signed transfer papers, the car book, which has to be signed of by the seller allowing the transfer, a signed copy of his/her ID card and a signed copy of their house book (Tabien Bahn).

If the seller cannot be present he/she will also need to sign a power of attorney.

If the seller is a foreigner, you'll need from them a copy of passport (picture page and last visa page), the certificate of residence (or work permit).

You do not need a driving license to own a vehicle.

All the above paperwork has to be brought to the Department of Transport branch which issued the car book and license plate.

If the vehicle is over 7 years old (5years for motorbike) a mechanical check up will have to be done as well.

Is the seller also allowed to arrange all this? I hear from everbody that the dealer usually takes care of these things, but I would like to understand the process anyway. I am also in the process of buying a car and would like to avoid a (possible) daytrip to the Department of Transport if possible.

I'd like to jump in here and also enquire about a sale from fahlang to fahlang. We are both hoping to transfer payment by Euro via our home banks.

What is the procedure?

Thanks.

Procedure the same. Only both need signed copies of visa and passport. Letter of conf. add. also needed.

Also if you buy a car from a different Provence, then there is a fee to pay about 5,000 baht and a whole lot of paperwork to do, most sellers will not do this as they say it is just to much of a problem and takes up a lot of time

Many people use an address in the same Provence as the car is reqistered.. This then means you will need the proof of address from a friend in that Provence...

Hi All, sticking to the same topic, I have a question too.

I'll be staying in bangkok for a few months before being posted to Chiangmai for a few years, If I bought the car in Bangkok, and subsequently move, do I have to submit any paperwork, inform the authorities, or anything like that?

Also, if I were to modify the engine of the car will that compromise my ability to selling off the car or fail inspections?

Hi All, sticking to the same topic, I have a question too.

I'll be staying in bangkok for a few months before being posted to Chiangmai for a few years, If I bought the car in Bangkok, and subsequently move, do I have to submit any paperwork, inform the authorities, or anything like that?

Also, if I were to modify the engine of the car will that compromise my ability to selling off the car or fail inspections?

Myself I bought a car while waiting for my house to be built, at the time I was renting in BKK, now 4yrs later the car is still registered at the condo address..

I have asked a few times about changing the address but get the same info every time, it is just to much bother, to much paperwork, and pointless..

This was at Honda Dealership where I bought the car + a very good Thai friend in the business + 2 other Thai friends……

My Thai licence and Insurance is in my house address, but it appears to be no problem, Tax is no problem at the counter in Carrefour in my house Provence.

Everyone has told me the same to register the car in a different Province = 5,000baht fee + loads and loads of paperwork

Okay thank you... In the second hand market all the best deals seem to be in BKK. Looking at some tonight in Min Buri, Samut Prakarn. Would be nice to make the trip down, do a deal and drive back. :o

• 1 month later...

any news on this? I am buying a car from a farang who lives in Issan. I live near bangkok.

I am planning to go with him to his local land transport office and register the new ownership there. I have a work permit showing my bangkok (actually pathumthani) address.