A New Tesco For Chalong?

Quero

Since last Thursday heavy machinery has been clearing a large plot of land on the west side of Viset Road just south of Chalong circle. I've heard that it's destined to become a new TESCO. Some might think it's a good thing to bring a supermarket down here, but personally I'd sooner have the trees that have already been toppled than the tall parking lot lighting systems that will soon sprout up to replace them.

Some might think it's a good thing to bring a supermarket down here, but personally I'd sooner have the trees that have already been toppled than the tall parking lot lighting systems that will soon sprout up to replace them.
Same for me.

Since last Thursday heavy machinery has been clearing a large plot of land on the west side of Viset Road just south of Chalong circle. I've heard that it's destined to become a new TESCO. Some might think it's a good thing to bring a supermarket down here, but personally I'd sooner have the trees that have already been toppled than the tall parking lot lighting systems that will soon sprout up to replace them.

I hate Tesco as much as I can't stand all the 7-11's.

We have supermarkets already in Chalong, KL Mart and the one a little further up. How are those businesses going to do when the conglomerate chain opens up? I guess we don't care, we just want convenience.........

I'm with the OP, rather see a rubber tree lot (cooler in more ways than one) than a concrete jungle.

Edited by huggybear

Totally un-needed if it is Lotus Express.

Lotus Expresses that I have visited in BKK and other places, just another 7/11.

Many are joined up with gas stations, mite be similar.

Feel sorry for and empathize with all the lil shopkeepers trying to make a buck.

I have used KL mart for the past eight years and will continue to do so. They have quite a large variety of stock and the owners and staff are friendly. I hate how built up Phuket is becoming.

KL in Chalong is my reg shop.

Has been every trip last 4 years.

I avoid 7/11, unless desperite.

Tesco (and to be fair, others) are so huge now they can, and as a matter of course do, abuse their suppliers ad lib. I don't like to see such conglommerates. I choose not to shop in Tesco here in Ireland....not out of any sense of Irish Nationalist pride!....but because I will give my business to the underdog. It is the ONLY way to keep the giants in check. They are ruthless and heartless and will steam roll anything that gets in their path. Many a supplier and smaller shopowner have been left destitute and broken because of these large chains. If you do not agree to their terms of business you are delisted...overnight! Chew on that. They don't care if they are removing brands their customers want. They are far too powerful now, Tesco et al., and that is not in my view a good thing in my book.

I know, I know. Prices, range, parking and it is a free economy and all of that....but there has to be a limit for all our sakes. There is in reality nobody to challenge them....Bic C maybe?

I live in Chalong and will not shop there.

I personally prefer Rungnapa supermarket. Further up on the right. Very helpful staff and they are open 24 hours.

Yep...really good and prices good too.

Did I hear that KL is for the chop?? :D New building to go onto the site. from what I heard it is the Ananda Gardens Developers.....Lek and family. They built the new shops just at the circle.

Any other news on this??? :o

Anything that saves the death defying, heart stopping, hel_l ride up the bypass ride is fine with me. And yes, the way Chalong's going now, it would just be another bunch of useless shophouses. Least Tesco has something we want/need from time to time.

Hmmm. Tesco, owned by the British, Big C, owned by the French, Carrefour owned by the French, anyone here into Thai food?

What an incredibly stupid remark! My spouse and I (Thai) cook and eat Thai food each and every day. We shop at the local talad nats/sods as well as the local 'mom' and pop shops every day also. But sometimes, I would like to eat something other than one particular nationalities' cuisine. I would no more eat fish and chips in the UK every day than Italian/Chinese/Japanese or yes, Thai each and every day.

And, by the way, at least Tesco will be selling the farang food items at a relatively reasonable price. Not so, for instance, the only supermarket serving Rawaii, which has cottoned on to the fact that their farang customers would rather pay the price of locally produced Ayam baked beans at 32 to 33 baht, than the grossly over priced 'farang' style baked beans at a whopping 75 baht, and now stock the expensive imported brands, exclusively. So much for Thai business supporting their fellow countrymen's products. :o

Do you really think that when Thais relocate to other countries they immediately desert their national dishes and adapt to the host countries' diet exclusively?

Smug <deleted>.

Hmmm. Tesco, owned by the British, Big C, owned by the French, Carrefour owned by the French, anyone here into Thai food?

What an incredibly stupid remark! My spouse and I (Thai) cook and eat Thai food each and every day. We shop at the local talad nats/sods as well as the local 'mom' and pop shops every day also. But sometimes, I would like to eat something other than one particular nationalities' cuisine. I would no more eat fish and chips in the UK every day than Italian/Chinese/Japanese or yes, Thai each and every day.

And, by the way, at least Tesco will be selling the farang food items at a relatively reasonable price. Not so, for instance, the only supermarket serving Rawaii, which has cottoned on to the fact that their farang customers would rather pay the price of locally produced Ayam baked beans at 32 to 33 baht, than the grossly over priced 'farang' style baked beans at a whopping 75 baht, and now stock the expensive imported brands, exclusively. So much for Thai business supporting their fellow countrymen's products. :o

Do you really think that when Thais relocate to other countries they immediately desert their national dishes and adapt to the host countries' diet exclusively?

Smug <deleted>.

The point that sits just fractions behind my post, granted one needs to use a small amount of intelligence to see it, is that the continued development of large overseas chain stores here in Thailand, such as the three mentioned in my post, are doing the same thing here as they have done in other countries such as the UK, putting the small local retailer out of business. The small local businesses generate local income (not overseas income) and supply local food, not overseas or farang food.

i went to KL and my god.

it's a real dump.

Not only is it hot enough to cook on the floor in there, its musty and dirty.

Everything has a layer of dirt on it, and its OVERPRICED

the only good thing they have is beer lao.. they do not have many items... they dont even carry milk or water jugs

I was disapointed and it looks like one of these place that farangs go to feel thai'ish because they dont feel like they belong anywhere in this world.

i bought about half the stuff i would buy from tesco or big c. and it costs me 3500baht for close to nothing

i will def only go there for beer lao.

Thank god for more tesco's.

2 bad dijon mustard cannot be found in any of those places in phuket though

i went to KL and my god.

it's a real dump.

Not only is it hot enough to cook on the floor in there, its musty and dirty.

Everything has a layer of dirt on it, and its OVERPRICED

the only good thing they have is beer lao.. they do not have many items... they dont even carry milk or water jugs

I was disapointed and it looks like one of these place that farangs go to feel thai'ish because they dont feel like they belong anywhere in this world.

i bought about half the stuff i would buy from tesco or big c. and it costs me 3500baht for close to nothing

i will def only go there for beer lao.

Thank god for more tesco's.

2 bad dijon mustard cannot be found in any of those places in phuket though

I must agree with you there.

I really have no preference for shopping in Chalong.

Tescos may be progress, depends on what type of operation they intend having,

If it is like like their 7/11 copies in Bangers, then would not bother, support local guys struggling to make a buck.. baht.

Time will tell.

Smug <deleted>.

The point that sits just fractions behind my post, granted one needs to use a small amount of intelligence to see it, is that the continued development of large overseas chain stores here in Thailand, such as the three mentioned in my post, are doing the same thing here as they have done in other countries such as the UK, putting the small local retailer out of business. The small local businesses generate local income (not overseas income) and supply local food, not overseas or farang food.

What are you talking about 'the point that sits just fractions behind my post' you pompous ass? Phuket, if you haven't noticed, is a multicultural society, encompassing Thais, Malays, Chinese and various Europeans and Americans, all of which are catered to in various food outlets throughout the island. Are you seriously suggesting that these groups should not be catered to at all 'because this is Thailand, and all these various groups must only eat traditional Thai food'. Where do you come from? And do you not sometimes indulge your craving for your particular planet's diet?

Who gives a rat's ass about the overpriced, past sell by date, crap which is passed off to farang at the few supermarkets stocking it? If you want to eat local food, there're local markets every day. It's not as though Tesco are going to put them out of business. And I find your view that only farang want Tesco rather patronising. Many Thais like the choice too. No ones's forcing anyone to go there. It's called 'market forces' dimwit.

Smug <deleted>.

What are you talking about 'the point that sits just fractions behind my post' you pompous ass? Phuket, if you haven't noticed, is a multicultural society, encompassing Thais, Malays, Chinese and various Europeans and Americans, all of which are catered to in various food outlets throughout the island. Are you seriously suggesting that these groups should not be catered to at all 'because this is Thailand, and all these various groups must only eat traditional Thai food'. Where do you come from? And do you not sometimes indulge your craving for your particular planet's diet?

Who gives a rat's ass about the overpriced, past sell by date, crap which is passed off to farang at the few supermarkets stocking it? If you want to eat local food, there're local markets every day. It's not as though Tesco are going to put them out of business. And I find your view that only farang want Tesco rather patronising. Many Thais like the choice too. No ones's forcing anyone to go there. It's called 'market forces' dimwit.

I do indeed eat Western dishes and on a regular basis but the vast majority are dishes made at home - the ingredients for those dishes are more often than not purchased in Thai markets and rarely in the large chain stores. I prefer to shop that way because it makes me feel better about supporting the local economy rather than an overseas economy. I am however happy to use the likes of Tesco or Carefour in small amounts for one off specialty items. But I am less than happy with the surge by foreign chain stores in Thailand to build outlets everywhere they can because of the detrimental effect that is proven to have on small retail operators - I am also less than happy with their tactics of suing anyone who criticizes them (Tesco). You may view the proliferation of chain stores as market forces, I don't - I view it as unfair competition by cash heavy multinationals that has the very real potential to change the face of the retail sector in Thailand, as indeed it has done so in the UK. Now, those are my views, if you want to debate the pro's and cons of all of that with me I'll be happy to do so, but first you need to drop the derogatory comments and name calling else you can debate on your own.

SUPERMARKETS MUST BE STABBED THROUGH THE HEART UNDER A FULL MOON, SAYS REGULATOR

The Grand High Competition Commissioner told all the people of the land: "What brave young squire will save us from ample parking, cash machines, comparatively cheap petrol and aisle after aisle of low, low prices?

source: thedailymash.co.uk

SUPERMARKETS MUST BE STABBED THROUGH THE HEART UNDER A FULL MOON, SAYS REGULATOR

The Grand High Competition Commissioner told all the people of the land: "What brave young squire will save us from ample parking, cash machines, comparatively cheap petrol and aisle after aisle of low, low prices?

source: thedailymash.co.uk

That indeed is one point of view but unfortunately it's a scenario that has only come into being in the UK in recent years as a result, amongst other things, of increased competition between the "giants" - whether or not that will continue to be the case into the future remains to be seen. But the cost of arriving at the today scenario has been huge and much of that cost has been in social terms. I saw a cartoon in one of the UK dailies recently that showed village people gathering to meet under the local CCTV camera, this in the absence of any other central point in their community. A bit extreme yes but it does make the point that small communities in the UK have lost there sense of community, shopping in a diverse range of small shops for a range of individual and unique products where quality is important, meeting a large number of people and, well, communicating. If the today scenario in the UK with it's superstore giants has made people better off in economic terms, and I'm not convinced that is the case (read: The Undercover Economist which makes an excellent case that supermarket may have greater choice but they also make us spend more), it certainly has proved a backwards step in social terms.