Windows Xp Service Pack 3 Released To Manufacturing

Guest Reimar

Guest Reimar

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Released to Manufacturing

As expected and reported by Neowin last week, Microsoft, via Chris Keroack the Windows XP SP3 Release Manager for the Windows Serviceability team, has announced the release of Windows XP Service Pack (SP) 3 to manufacturing.

Here's the official word, via a post to the TechNet XP Forum:

"Today we are happy to announce that Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) has released to manufacturing (RTM). Windows XP SP3 bits are now working their way through our manufacturing channels to be available to OEM and Enterprise customers.

We are also in the final stages of preparing for release to the web (i.e. you!) on April 29th, via Windows Update and the Microsoft Download Center. Online documentation for Windows XP SP3, such as Microsoft Knowledge Base articles and the Microsoft TechNet Windows XP TechCenter, will be updated then. For customers who use Windows XP at home, Windows XP SP3 Automatic Update distribution for users at home will begin in early summer.

Thanks to everyone here who installed the public betas – you not only gave us detailed feedback but also helped each other out with timely troubleshooting. Through the beta program we found several important issues and were able to confirm some essential fixes. We couldn't have done this without you.

We will still be monitoring this forum during the next few weeks in case you have more feedback about the release of Windows XP SP3."

SOURCE

Guest Reimar

Here the complete timeline from MS:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Timeline Update

The build number for the final version of SP3 is 5512. Nick MacKechnie: Windows XP SP3 has been released to manufacturing as of April 21st (US Time) with the release to web planned for April 29th (US Time).

The detailed schedule by channel is below. Winbeta also reports that Nick MacKechnie's blog post was removed later during the day. Nevertheless, the release schedule from his blog post can be found below.

Windows XP SP3 - detailed by channel schedule, planned dates (US)

* RTM (release to manufacturing) Apr - 21st

* OEM Channel Apr - 21st

* Windows Update Apr - 29th

* Download Centre Apr - 29th

* MSDN/Technet Download May - 02nd

* Windows XP SP3 Fulfillment Media May - 19th

* VL Customers via download Jun - 01st

* Automatic Updates Jun - 10th

I have downloaded and installed the SP 3. No problems except I should have un-installed the previous SP first, so with one thing and another it took nearly an hour to get sorted. :o

Seems to be working fine.

I have a question though. When I went to un-install the previous version I noticed had been “Used rarely” and on closer look saw it was last used in Dec 2007. :D

I thought a service pack was part of the Windows system, if it has not been used all those months do I really need these service packs? :D

:D

I have a question though. When I went to un-install the previous version I noticed had been “Used rarely” and on closer look saw it was last used in Dec 2007. :D

I thought a service pack was part of the Windows system, if it has not been used all those months do I really need these service packs? :o

It means the installation (installer) hasn't been used again which is correct. The items it installs are being used. :D

it wasn't a smooth experience for me. Not only it was a lengthy installation process but...! at the end, I was advised to reboot and I have clicked the YES button.

My system was unable to load windows anymore... after several attempts (safe boot, last working configuration, don't reboot on failure, etc) I got a blue screen with the message

"Stop:c0000139 {Entry Point Not Found}

The Procedure Entry Point GdiGetBitmapBitsSize could not be located in the dynamic link library GDI32.dll."

I have only one PC. So I went to Internet Cafe to look/google for a solution to my problem. Fortunately, the problem with GDI32.DLL was known.

The fix is: replacing the copy of GDI32.DLL in the "Windows\System32" directory with another copy in the "Windows\ServicePackFiles\I386" directory. The correct file version is: 5.1.2600.3311

So, Beware!

Edited by Condo_bk

Guest Reimar
it wasn't a smooth experience for me. Not only it was a lengthy installation process but...! at the end, I was advised to reboot and I have clicked the YES button.

My system was unable to load windows anymore... after several attempts (safe boot, last working configuration, don't reboot on failure, etc) I got a blue screen with the message

"Stop:c0000139 {Entry Point Not Found}

The Procedure Entry Point GdiGetBitmapBitsSize could not be located in the dynamic link library GDI32.dll."

I have only one PC. So I went to Internet Cafe to look/google for a solution to my problem. Fortunately, the problem with GDI32.DLL was known.

The fix is: replacing the copy of GDI32.DLL in the "Windows\System32" directory with another copy in the "Windows\ServicePackFiles\I386" directory. The correct file version is: 5.1.2600.3311

So, Beware!

Thanks for that info Condo!

Is your computer working now again?

I didn't have time to update to only XP I've left running because I'm busy with an Restaurant software to get ready. But it's good to know there still some problems and how to solve them.

Could you please post all relevant infos here for the other User's so they'll know what to do if that problems came up.

Thanks again and Cheers.

Yes, my PC is working right now. I am still checking all the bits and pieces. My firewall (Comodo) should be trained again.

I also noticed that in System Properties window, General Tab it is reported as Service Pack 3. v.3311

Rather than that, if I discover some more info, I will let you know.

Yes, my PC is working right now. I am still checking all the bits and pieces. My firewall (Comodo) should be trained again.

I also noticed that in System Properties window, General Tab it is reported as Service Pack 3. v.3311

Rather than that, if I discover some more info, I will let you know.

v. 3311 is a previous release candidate, not the final RTM version, this might explain your problems during install.

Look at the screen shots in my previous post. The final RTM is the 5512 build. Since the official version will be available

on Windows Update tomorrow (in Thailand on Wednesday morning), I would suggest to uninstall the RC and download

the real thing from MS directly.

v. 3311 is a previous release candidate, not the final RTM version, this might explain your problems during install.

Look at the screen shots in my previous post. The final RTM is the 5512 build. Since the official version will be available

on Windows Update tomorrow (in Thailand on Wednesday morning), I would suggest to uninstall the RC and download

the real thing from MS directly.

I had installed a beta Release Candidate, but thought it was successfully removed before I installed the current SP3.

System Properties simply says:

"Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3,"

and winver reports:

"Microsoft Windows Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp.080413-2111: Service Pack 3)"

Do I still have remnants from the beta there, or are those credentials the final SP3 release?

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 Final is available at http://www.majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_Window...inal_d4323.html

Have someone already tried to install SP3?

Any comments?

To get ready for the automatic update I did an uninstall of the sp3 version 3264. Big time problems now. System will not let me on the internet because .net service is not working and I am referred to mfg. I must admit when the uninstall was taking place I did get two windows that I had never seen before relating to potential problems with a huge list of stuff that I had installed, such as Paperport and many others. I went ahead with the uninstall anyhow and have big time regrets right now. I am unable to get XP working again.

So I went to the sp3 that I had downloaded (version 3264) and reinstalled it. Still no access to my Lan card available. Not sure what I will do now but for sure proceed with the xp Sp 3 build 5512 with great care.

I suspect I will have to go through a complete reinstall of XP and do not find that a happy prospect at all.

So be careful as you go through the recommended uninstall it may bite you as hard as it bit me.