The Oldest Farang In Thailand

PeaceBlondie

:o

I do have one person I'd consider a good friend who's just a year or so away from 90, and I've been to gatherings with a 90+ year old (he was playing the piano and singing, a former and current radio man). Several more in their eighties, and a legion of people in their 60s and 70s.

The oldest Farang I know is myself :D

On my first visit to meet the Issan family I took a picture of five generations of the ladies. There was my baby girl, my wife, her mother, her mother and her mother.

No one seemed to know for sure how old the oldest was but we had to prop her up for the photo. :o

:D

Edited by Daffy D

Are they sentient or conscious?

The issue of 'compos mentis' – or more particularly – becoming ‘non compos mentis’ is not something to be dismissed in any aging population and will undoubtedly become an issue for many aging expats in Thailand.

An observation - During my last R&R in Thailand I was queuing at the bank behind a guy in the US Military he turned to me and said something along the lines of 'Do you think that guy over there is really in control of things?'

Being served at the desk was a very old Farang guy, in a wheelchair and quite clearly having difficulty signing his name, indeed even speaking.

But never mind, he was being assisted in withdrawing a large amount of money from his account by a number of Thais who had brought him to the bank.

Now in the interest of avoiding starting a flame fest, I'll say I'm sure the Thais 'helping him' were caring and honest people .... but don't miss the point - there is bugger all protection in Thailand for old foreigners who are not sufficiently 'compos mentis' to look after their own welfare.

Are they sentient or conscious?

The issue of 'compos mentis' – or more particularly – becoming 'non compos mentis' is not something to be dismissed in any aging population and will undoubtedly become an issue for many aging expats in Thailand.

An observation - During my last R&R in Thailand I was queuing at the bank behind a guy in the US Military he turned to me and said something along the lines of 'Do you think that guy over there is really in control of things?'

Being served at the desk was a very old Farang guy, in a wheelchair and quite clearly having difficulty signing his name, indeed even speaking.

But never mind, he was being assisted in withdrawing a large amount of money from his account by a number of Thais who had brought him to the bank.

Now in the interest of avoiding starting a flame fest, I'll say I'm sure the Thais 'helping him' were caring and honest people .... but don't miss the point - there is bugger all protection in Thailand for old foreigners who are not sufficiently 'compos mentis' to look after their own welfare.

Although that's potentially horrible what might have been happening to the old man, plenty of young guys seem to withdraw large amounts of money from their bank accounts to give to Thais without suffering from Alzheimers. Just being in this country seems to make some people non compus mentis.

The big difference of course is that the young guy can recover and make more money. An old guy ripped off is practically being condemned to death when he can no longer afford care

I am actually surprised that nobody has opened a nursing home for the older westerner. I would do it if I had the money.

You have somebody like Guesthouse, earning a fortune in Saudi. I am sure he would be interested in a couple of years :o

Edited by garro

I was just kidding that my buddy has a 102-year-old friend, but it got me to thinking.

Who is the oldest farang you ever met in Thailand? One of my neighbors is 80 now, and surely he's not even in the competition.

Probably not the oldest but a couple of years ago I met guy who at 76 had knocked up his GF and was about to become father again.

I was just kidding that my buddy has a 102-year-old friend, but it got me to thinking.

Who is the oldest farang you ever met in Thailand? One of my neighbors is 80 now, and surely he's not even in the competition.

Does any one know if Mr Sieler from Sieler's Bakery, Sukhumvit Soi 51 is still alive. He was in his mid 80's the last time I met him, but that was a good 10 years ago.

Probably not the oldest but a couple of years ago I met guy who at 76 had knocked up his GF and was about to become father again.

Or at least that is what he believes..

Or at least that is what he believes..

He is fairly certain that it is his as both him and his child share many similarities; neither have much hair and both frequently wet themselves :o

I don't know, but I had a friend who was in his mid 90's. He was the youngest of 8 kids--all still alive! He had retired in Thailand in the early 70's. About a year before he died, he had mentioned to a mutual friend of ours about what he wanted done with his stuff when he died. He wanted her to 'take care' of things for him. She was to get the bulk of what he had--which materially wasn't a lot, but he was reasonably well-set financially.

He had a few local friends, who visited, including a married couple who came by about twice a year. Took him to dinner and spent an evening with him. They seemed like pretty nice people. When he did pass on, our mutual friend went to take care of things, but it seemed that his money had disappeared from the bank accounts and the bank didn't seem to know who had withdrawn it.

Likewise his personal property seemed to have disappeared as well. As she asked about things, it seems the television was "maybe getting repaired, somewhere;" the response about his stereo was, "oh he didn't have one." etc. etc.

I don't know who the oldest farang is, but I would be tempted to lay money, that I can guess where he is, have you seen the wrinklies supporting the bars here ? And Good For Them too ! :D

I look forward to joining them myself, in about another 40 years, or so.

I recall once (OK - about 20 years ago) seeing a pensioner walk through the gardens & past the pool at the Amari Orchid-Lodge in Patters, accompanied by his Dad, both of whom had managed to find a pair of lithesome young ladies to assist them. And they were absolute Stunners ! Suddenly the thought of old-age seemed a lot less worrying ! :D

I only hope that I live to see it ! :o

I don't know who the oldest farang is, but I would be tempted to lay money, that I can guess where he is, have you seen the wrinklies supporting the bars here ? And Good For Them too ! :D

I look forward to joining them myself, in about another 40 years, or so.

I recall once (OK - about 20 years ago) seeing a pensioner walk through the gardens & past the pool at the Amari Orchid-Lodge in Patters, accompanied by his Dad, both of whom had managed to find a pair of lithesome young ladies to assist them. And they were absolute Stunners ! Suddenly the thought of old-age seemed a lot less worrying ! :D

I only hope that I live to see it ! :o

Pray brother ... pray. :D

Are farang years in Thailand like doggy years? I reckon one spent here is the equivalent of 6 or 7 elswhere :o
Funy that isnt it, most Thais look 10-15 years younger than they are, most expats i see usually look 15 years older than they are ! :D Edited by mikethevigoman

:o Well the oldsest I know personally is a retired Royal Dutch Navy officer from the Netherlands who spends winter/spring in Pattaya/Jomtien area. He is about 84 now. Comes here to Crete in the summer. and spends the fall season in the Netherlands. He looks like he is in his fifties, but I was at his 80th birthday party nearly 4 years ago.

That probably doesn't even rate an also-ran however.

:o Well the oldsest I know personally is a retired Royal Dutch Navy officer from the Netherlands who spends winter/spring in Pattaya/Jomtien area. He is about 84 now. Comes here to Crete in the summer. and spends the fall season in the Netherlands. He looks like he is in his fifties, but I was at his 80th birthday party nearly 4 years ago.

That probably doesn't even rate an also-ran however.

I can not reveal too much in detail (medical reasons) but I do know of one falang that is 89, and very near 90. The child of this individual is actually very famous in Thailand.

:D

I do have one person I'd consider a good friend who's just a year or so away from 90, and I've been to gatherings with a 90+ year old (he was playing the piano and singing, a former and current radio man). Several more in their eighties, and a legion of people in their 60s and 70s.

I'm NOT almost 90, but 60 is right close! :o