Got My First Job Offer On The Net

phormio

I posted my resume on www.ajarn.com's teacher's database last Saturday and by Monday morning had a tentative offer for a position in the provinces teaching English to children. They'd buy me a ticket to BKK, put me up in a hotel and send me to training for 4 days, then take me to Laos to convert to a Imm B visa, then to the school in one of four provinces. They were hiring 20 teachers. Paying 28,000 baht per month, with bonuses of 3000,10000, and 10000 baht for finishing first month, finishing third month, and resigning at end of fourth month.

I declined the offer, since I want to stay in BKK, they want people in the last week of October and we're not moving to Thailand till December (also I was hoping to do better salary/benefit wise).

:o

December is the worst time to find a teaching job because the end of the school year is only a couple of months away.

But, it would be a time when schools are starting to plan their English camps and summer English programs...

It also seems strange (and desperate!) to be looking for 20 teachers in the middle of the second term...Maybe some problems at that school? Big red flags, I'd say.

Phormio, this sounds like one of the infamous "agencies." Phil keeps trying to weed them out but they can disguise themselves too easily.

Please note that on ONLY an non-imm B. visa you will be an *illegal* worker. If they try the old line "oh you don't need a WP 'cause we're only signing a 4 month contract" that's BS; you'll still be illegal- doesn't stop a lot of people, but I seem to recall you're involving your family in this as well?

You can do a LOT better than that salary in Bangkok, but admittedly in the provinces that's about standard.

There're a lot of desperate schools and agencies which send offers to anyone who has a resume up- not to say you're not worth hiring, but you should realize this! I once got a near-immediate offer of 25K a month as a science teacher in Bangkok for 25 class hours a week after posting my stats! Ha!

As Ajarn says, there're lots of red flags on that one. Keep trying!

"Steven"

Please note that on ONLY an non-imm B. visa you will be an *illegal* worker. If they try the old line "oh you don't need a WP 'cause we're only signing a 4 month contract" that's BS; you'll still be illegal- doesn't stop a lot of people, but I seem to recall you're involving your family in this as well?

Sorry to rehash this visa thing. It just refuses to sink into my thick skull.

I had thought that the non-imm B visa was the BEST visa to get upon initial entry because it was longer and provided more and easier options as far as renewal goes. Would you agree with this view?

Without knowing much about it, I'd have to agree with the guys before. That sounds well dodgy to me. I would look into it as much as possible getting e-mail addresses of several current teachers.

Ask them, then you'll know first-hand whether you are being lead up the garden path or not.

I know this school a few of my friends have worked with them, one of them very closely. I doubt they'll get you a WP (they didn't in the past) and the training is poor (most of it is done AFTER you've actually been teaching...which seems a bit daft!).

Merlin a multiple entry Non-imm B (which he won't be getting from Laos, he'll be getting a single) IS the best to arrive on, but you need to get it from a Western country. Other than that IJWT is correct it's still illegal to work on it (although many do).

They're not as bad as some agencies (let's face it most private language schools act as agencies in one way or another), but there's certainly a lot better out there!

I'd say the only reason to got for it would be some hands on experience is all!

Forgot to mention I'll be going on an Non Imm O Visa (married to a Thai) anyway and of course the only reason I rejected the offer out of hand is because I've been hanging out on TV forums (for two months) and ajarn forums(about a week), with Kenkannif, IJWT, ajarn , and others - so I sort of new I could probably do a bit better than what was offered.

Thanks guys,

Oh, ok- you're eligible for the non-imm 'O'! If you can get that, you should! And then don't let ANYONE (including immigration!) tell you you need a non-imm B to get a work permit- it simply isn't true. It may be more SIMPLE, but it isn't true and you shouldn't give up your (better) visa just so the paperwork is more simple for a school that may fire you at the drop of a hat. Keep that Non-imm O- it will take a few more trips to Immigration, where you may indeed even have to explain to the officers themselves (very politely and humbly) that you are SURE you can get a WP on a non-imm O. You may also have to keep repeating to your school that you are not giving up your non-imm O. Eventually, the message will get through.

And don't work for that agency!

"Steven"

Oh, ok- you're eligible for the non-imm 'O'!  If you can get that, you should!  And then don't let ANYONE (including immigration!) tell you you need a non-imm B to get a work permit- it simply isn't true.  It may be more SIMPLE, but it isn't true and you shouldn't give up your (better) visa just so the paperwork is more simple for a school that may fire you at the drop of a hat.  Keep that Non-imm O- it will take a few more trips to Immigration, where you may indeed even have to explain to the officers themselves (very politely and humbly) that you are SURE you can get a WP on a non-imm O.  You may also have to keep repeating to your school that you are not giving up your non-imm O.  Eventually, the message will get through.

:D

"Steven"

Thanks to all for your comments.

We(myself, my Thai wife and my daughter) are permanently emigrating to Thailand at the end of November so I'll be on a Non-Imm O/Visit Thai Spouse Visa. I have pretty good credentials - BS in Elec Eng , some experience teaching conversational English in Korea, and 3 years of Grad School in Engineering (working as a Research Assistant). I'm shooting for a great teaching job

(something like 50K-60K+ starting) - I would rather find a position soon after my arrival, but am in no hurry, since my financial resources will hold out for quite a while; looking for the right job, not a quick job.

My short term objective is to locate the international schools that teach on a Western term (with Winter break in December and a new Semester starting in January) ; a Thai friend of mine here in the US told me there are several such schools in Bangkok. Can anyone help me with this or point me in the right direction? :o

There is some chance that these schools will hire some teachers for the new semester in Math, Science/Physics, various subjects in Information Technology/Software Engineering, or English.

After identifying these schools I plan on contacting them via email with my

CV(we call it a resume in the US) to see if there is any interest in me for any of these positions. If so, I will visit these schools in December to try to land some job offers.

Of course, it's also possible that I have been misinformed or such schools won't be looking for new teachers in Jan 2005.

If this strategy doesn't work out, then I'll be shooting for the end of May/June rush, like most other teaching position searchers; under this scenario, its likely that I'll get the inside track somewhere, since my wife and her family has many connections in Bangkok. We plan on permanently relocating to Thailand and this fact should also help me land a better teaching position.

Your plan sounds great- for best effect, though, you should be job hunting in February/March- don't accept a long-term gig for too little money before then.

With your background, math/science should be no problem as long as you can locate a vacancy at the right kind of school. Your expectations sound reasonable considering your background.

Your track record as a teacher of young people will obviously be more of an issue than your academic expertise. That may create a few stumbling blocks for you early on- you may need to accept a year or two under less-than-ideal circumstances to build a track record, make connections, and acquire the local knowledge of schools that you need.

Good luck!

"Steven"

Oh, ok- you're eligible for the non-imm 'O'! If you can get that, you should! And then don't let ANYONE (including immigration!) tell you you need a non-imm B to get a work permit- it simply isn't true. It may be more SIMPLE, but it isn't true and you shouldn't give up your (better) visa just so the paperwork is more simple for a school that may fire you at the drop of a hat. Keep that Non-imm O- it will take a few more trips to Immigration, where you may indeed even have to explain to the officers themselves (very politely and humbly) that you are SURE you can get a WP on a non-imm O. You may also have to keep repeating to your school that you are not giving up your non-imm O. Eventually, the message will get through.

"Steven"

Hi steven,

Could you explain why a non-imm O is better than a non-imm B? I just got a non-imm O, at the bottom it says "EMPLOYMENT PROHIBITED", is this not correct? Doesn't really affect me as I will not be looking for employment, just interested to know.

Thanks,

Konangrit.

Your plan sounds great- for best effect, though, you should be job hunting in February/March- don't accept a long-term gig for too little money before then.

With your background, math/science should be no problem as long as you can locate a vacancy at the right kind of school.  Your expectations sound reasonable considering your background.

Your track record as a teacher of young people will obviously be more of an issue than your academic expertise.  That may create a few stumbling blocks for you early on- you may need to accept a year or two under less-than-ideal circumstances to build a track record, make connections, and acquire the local knowledge of schools that you need.

Good luck!

"Steven"

Thanks for getting back so quickly.

I geuss my specific question is :

Do you give know or know where to find out which schools(if any) operate on a US type schedule - that is those schools that have a new semester starting in January?

Thanks for your help.

You'll (generally) need 15 credits in education (check Ajarn.com) if you wish to teach at an international school (or really in any international or bilingual program!).

I posted a long list of most of the internatinal schools here and unis that offer international programs. I think you'll have a problem finding work at an international school, but should be okay looking for a maths or science teaching job at a uni! Also you may (it depends whether the MoE continues to enforce it....or enforces it more than it is now) find as you're degree isn't relevant to teaching you need a TEFL/TESOL/TESL cert as well to help you get the teacher licence and thus work permit!

Hi steven,

Could you explain why a non-imm O is better than a non-imm B? I just got a non-imm O, at the bottom it says "EMPLOYMENT PROHIBITED", is this not correct? Doesn't really affect me as I will not be looking for employment, just interested to know.

Thanks,

Konangrit.

I think the other poster answered the bit about "employment prohibited"- but "O" is the marriage one, right? And I know a few people on that visa who DO have their work permits (and who had to contend a bit with both the school and with immigration to get them, but who were legally right in the end!)

I may be wrong, but I'm assuming "O" is better because it has a longer-range potential? Always for at least one year, maybe longer? And you don't lose it just because some kid's mom at your school gets you fired.

"Steven"

Thanks guys, understand now, you can have your B visa taken away if you lose your job.

Not married, got the O on basis of visiting friends, unfortunately that means no chance to extend, so will be stuck with 90 day visa runs. Not really a problem as I travel more often than that anyway.