Reputable Pattaya Dive Operators?

SteveMorrissey

Hi. I'm living in Pattaya and would like to take advantage of the local diving, but am apprehensive because of the horror stories I have heard about some of the local dive oprators (e.g., disregard for safety, polluting the dive sites, negligent divemasters, etc.). Can anyone please recommend a reputable dive shop or trip operator in Pattaya or Koh Chang? Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just completed my PADI Open Water Diver course with Pattaya Dive Center (www.divecenterpattaya.com)

I was the only student to take the course, so it worked out great for me. My instructor was Simon from UK, and he is both skilled and fun to go with. Other than that, their location is good (just on the Beach Road) and boat is the best. This is important, because i have seen the other operators boats at the diving site around Koh Sak. With that speed boat, we could get to our destination in around 15 minutes while all others could do that around 1 hour or more.

The only disadvantage is their prices; a little bit more expensive than the other operators but given the boat advantage and all diving equipment are brand new mares branded, i did not feel i was over paying.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There are actually many reputable firms in Pattaya, am not sure why you would think that there are not? :o In fact many of the smaller operations that are mentioned in this thread use the bigger operations boats for their customers.

Real Divers

Seaduction

Seafari

Aquanauts

Mermaids

are just some of the ones that are reputable and ensure that safety equipment is available easily on boats as well as good level of Divemasters as well as Instructors. I actually think that from an operator point of view, few shops in Pattaya disregard safety in operation as well as equipment. :D

It really comes down to what kind of service you prefer as a diver. :D

my experience says dive only with a shop who have there own boat ,tanks and equipment, this way you know what your paying for.

not like the time i dived with REAL DIVERS who said we were going to the islands furthest away and ended up on the same dive site as previous day, (THIS WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPEND IF THE PARADISE BOAT WE USED DIDNT GET PREFRENCE TO ITS OWN CUSTOMERS) our equipment was shocking and ask for the so called dive instructor, he slept for most the trip with a hangover, (take note padi) checks should be made regularly to make sure these so called operators under the padi flag do not harm the reputation.

as for reccomendations aquanauhts, mermaids,paradise,seduction and adventure divers are all what i call worthy of your time, money and health.

Some days it's almost impossible to go to the 'far islands'.

With the strong winds we have sometimes it's not really pleasant going that far..

Going to let's say Koh rin can be really rough with the wind coming from the southwest. The same with Koh pai, Koh man wichai and koh kung bedann.

• 2 weeks later...
Seaduction is a small dive operator with their own boat that offer good service, just imho.

Agree Danny and Andy run a good shop and boat

I can well recommend Seaduction too - they tend to offer quality rather than quantity (not operating a rota system like some of the bigger outfits). Their recent 3 day run of dives on the Petchburi Bremmen been a prime example (a wreck that not many people get too).

I would not worry too much about diving in Pattaya. From my experience it is far more professionally run than other areas of Thailand (Phuket scared me stiff).

• 4 weeks later...

If you are qualifoed and have your own equipment another way of doing it is to rent tanks From Uncle Sam's and rent your own speedboat.

You then have complete control over where, when and who you dive with.

Not for everybody and I wouldn't recommend it to recently qualified or inexperienced divers.

You also need to get a good boat driver, Uncle Sam can help organizing.

On the near / far Islands question , you've got to remember that the operators save a bunch on diesel by staying with the near Islands. Having said that there is some reasonable muck diving to be had at the near Islands. Though I could live without ever diving Koh Crap , I mean Koh Krok in full flood again.

Cheers

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
You also need to get a good boat driver, Uncle Sam can help organizing.

Having said that there is some reasonable muck diving to be had at the near Islands.

If you have graduated from Blue water diving to Muck / Macro Diving , under the pier on the opposite side of the island there are wierd things to be found. .......

Hi. I'm living in Pattaya and would like to take advantage of the local diving, but am apprehensive because of the horror stories I have heard about some of the local dive oprators (e.g., disregard for safety, polluting the dive sites, negligent divemasters, etc.). Can anyone please recommend a reputable dive shop or trip operator in Pattaya or Koh Chang? Thank you!

Go to "Sun and Fun" in Pattaya Park. They are usually reliably good for a day trip to the islands and don't have alot of strange personalities involved.

my experience says dive only with a shop who have there own boat ,tanks and equipment, this way you know what your paying for.

not like the time i dived with REAL DIVERS who said we were going to the islands furthest away and ended up on the same dive site as previous day, (THIS WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPEND IF THE PARADISE BOAT WE USED DIDNT GET PREFRENCE TO ITS OWN CUSTOMERS) our equipment was shocking and ask for the so called dive instructor, he slept for most the trip with a hangover, (take note padi) checks should be made regularly to make sure these so called operators under the padi flag do not harm the reputation.

as for reccomendations aquanauhts, mermaids,paradise,seduction and adventure divers are all what i call worthy of your time, money and health.

What shocked you about the equipment? How did you know the instructor had a hangover? Were you a student or a certified diver? If you're a student then why would you think you would be picking the dive site? Wouldn't that be ridiculous!!! If you're a certified diver, why would you even give a <deleted> about what the instructor was doing? Would you expect Paradise to give preference to someone else's divers? This sounds to me like someone who checked every shop for the lowest possible price and got exactly what they paid for. W*nker...

• 2 weeks later...

I have been diving with the 2 Brothers who own Real Divers for 3 years now and so has my family and friends i have always felt safe with their exeperience Dive Team .The lads have great knowledge of all the local dive sites .They dont own their own dive boat but the service and the boats they use are outstanding from great lunchs to plenty of diving space .The dive eq as always been well looked after ive never seen any poor or not working dive eq in their dive shop as for the lads sleeping on the job hahahaha that was the most silly childish comments you have made .So i think you must be at a local dive school who is not doing so well or you have nothing better to do than send your silly little lies into forums like this.my advice to you is GROW UP ..................and get a Life...