Applying For Non Advertised Jobs

What's the best way to go about applying for jobs that are not advertised?

Is it better to actually be at the company in person and make friends with the receptionist, then drop of resume?

Does applications on email get read here? And should an application for a larger/multinational company be written in english or thai or both?

Thanks!

What's the best way to go about applying for jobs that are not advertised?

Is it better to actually be at the company in person and make friends with the receptionist, then drop of resume?

Does applications on email get read here? And should an application for a larger/multinational company be written in english or thai or both?

Thanks!

The vast majority of jobs for Farangs (certainly in the business i am in) are by word of mouth, so wouldnt hold out much hope going the "receptionist route"...

For multinationals, the requirement generally is the application is in English, the vast majority of multinationals will not hire direct a Farang in Thailand, but rather through a body shop....the Farang staff members at multinationals are usually hired in their own country and transferred to Thailand on a "contract" basis usually 3 - 5 years and then are transferred somewhere else or back to their home country..

As the poster above I doubt the receptionist route would get you anywhere in Thailand or anywhere else for that matter.

Networking at the various Chambers of Commerce is a start ie Brit, American and Aussie - all have regular events.

Meeting with guy's employed in the country and getting known - easiest place is probably bar's frequented by these guys, play golf with them etc but do not get seen as a total pisshead.

Getting hired locally might mean getting a local contract - this is often the case in Singapore now and I bet lots of other places - can you live on a Thai wage albeit a decent one?

As the poster above I doubt the receptionist route would get you anywhere in Thailand or anywhere else for that matter.

Networking at the various Chambers of Commerce is a start ie Brit, American and Aussie - all have regular events.

Meeting with guy's employed in the country and getting known - easiest place is probably bar's frequented by these guys, play golf with them etc but do not get seen as a total pisshead.

Getting hired locally might mean getting a local contract - this is often the case in Singapore now and I bet lots of other places - can you live on a Thai wage albeit a decent one?

Another point on this is don't approach the guys like a dog on heat and appear desparate for a job....there is nothing worse, more annoying and pathetic....build you contacts, try and keep the job situation out of the conversation for a while at least....bare in mind that the groups of guys that drink or play golf together either all work together or work in a similar business, therefore get a rep as sponger or wannabee with one guy...your reputation will follow you around that business...also do not burn any bridges with any of the guys, because that can come back and bite you in the a*se later