Help Please! Which Visa Needed For A 6 Month-1 Year Holiday

Hi Guys,

I have read and read many visa pages,and am still unsure what to do.

my situation is -

i am quitting my job in around 3 months,and really need your help on which visa i need to have a "long Holiday" with many friends already in thailand,for maybe up to a year or so.

i have never obtained a visa before,just had 7 holiday of between 20 and 35 days.

my last 2 being - 35 days in dec/jan 08 (included 7 days extra at c mai immigration)

and 4 weeks april 2008(included a visa run to myanmar 2 weeks into holiday,but had to return to work,so no extra days used)

so the 90 day rule would include some of my previous 2 visit i guess?

alot of people say to get a non imm multi b visa? and something about an onward ticket needed,which you just cancel after arrival in thailand!

some people even say to just get a 60 day visa and do 2 visits to laos and get 3 months extra twice,giving 8 months.

really confused what to do,just wanting to come for a long holiday,not to work.

many people i know have stayed on holiday for over a year,and i really dont know how they manage it.

really hope someone can help.

many thanks

I am currently in middle of 1 year holiday. Left UK with triple entry tourist visa and going to Laos in a couple of weeks to (hopefully) get double entry. With extensions these will see me good for another 6 months :o

Chiangmai Foxy, it will help if you give the following information:

1. Your nationality

2. Your current status of permission to stay, ie is it a multiple-entry non-B visa or is it an extension of stay for work?

--

Maestro

Chiangmai Foxy, in my opinion your best option, unsure as yet of your period of stay in Thailand, is a multiple-entry non-immigrant visa category O. Purpose of visit: “visit friends”. Apply not at the consular section of the Thai embassy in London, but at an honorary Thai consulate, eg the consulate in Hull. Application can be made by mail.

--

Maestro

Chiangmai Foxy, in my opinion your best option, unsure as yet of your period of stay in Thailand, is a multiple-entry non-immigrant visa category O. Purpose of visit: “visit friends”. Apply not at the consular section of the Thai embassy in London, but at an honorary Thai consulate, eg the consulate in Hull. Application can be made by mail.

--

Maestro

ok,thanks.

how would the "o" work.ie how long would i get maximum,can i still do border runs to extend etc.and when completed can i get a new visa in laos

Edit

sorry iv found the info.non imm o gives me 12 months,leaving thailand every 3 months.max stay 15 months

Edited by Chiangmai Foxy

--

Maestro

ok,thanks.

how would the "o" work.ie how long would i get maximum,can i still do border runs to extend etc.and when completed can i get a new visa in laos

Edit

sorry iv found the info.non imm o gives me 12 months,leaving thailand every 3 months.max stay 15 months

As you say. Non Imm O Multi Entry from Hull.

Each stay up to 90 days. Do a border run just before it expires and it stretches out to 15 months.

Apply by post. Look at the website.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/visas1.asp

--

Maestro

ok,thanks.

Edit

As you say. Non Imm O Multi Entry from Hull.

Each stay up to 90 days. Do a border run just before it expires and it stretches out to 15 months.

Apply by post. Look at the website.

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/visas1.asp

thanks,thats what i will get.i take it its best to apply for visa a few weeks before leaving,as not to lose too many visa weeks.is it common to book a flight and then have this type of visa turned down,as that would ruin the ticket and leave people in stum!

btw when i book the flight,do i need a return ticket even though the return date is not known.i have even been told it is popular for people to book another onward flight on the ticket for ie a few week after arriving,then just cancel after arriving in thailand.or can i just book a one way ticket or even an open return?

thanks

Edited by Chiangmai Foxy