Hi all,

my Wifes ILR application is due in next month. I am however returning to Singas for work. In short my Wife and Son will follow me after the aplication.

To cut along story short, if my Wife stays in Thailand for a lng period and I am working out there is it worth doing the visa and how long will it be valid for before it just becomes worthless?

Dilemas :o

ILR remains valid until you spend 2 full years out of the country.

However, the Entry Officer has to believe you're a returning resident on each trip, and not simply going to the UK for a holiday.

Admittedly I know someone working in Tokyo who flies back for a day each time just before his two years is up, and has no issues keeping his ILR. (He's not Japanese though, just working there for the Japanese branch of a UK company, so maybe that helps prove he's not permanently relocated to Japan.

Hi BKK,

so if my Wife returned every say 10 months this may keep its validity. Would it be helpful to say she is only in Thailand because her spouse (myself) is working at present in that region. You never know when a back pedal to blighty may come!

Thanks for your reply :o

ILR remains valid until you spend 2 full years out of the country.

However, the Entry Officer has to believe you're a returning resident on each trip, and not simply going to the UK for a holiday.

Admittedly I know someone working in Tokyo who flies back for a day each time just before his two years is up, and has no issues keeping his ILR. (He's not Japanese though, just working there for the Japanese branch of a UK company, so maybe that helps prove he's not permanently relocated to Japan.

Hi BKK,

so if my Wife returned every say 10 months this may keep its validity. Would it be helpful to say she is only in Thailand because her spouse (myself) is working at present in that region. You never know when a back pedal to blighty may come!

Thanks for your reply :o

It's worked well for my wife, and means she can fly to/from the UK whenever she wants.

We are looking to return to the UK soon full-time though (which will finally let us do the UK passport application.)

Hi BKK,

so how long does you Wife wait before her return to keep the visa valid?

Hi BKK,

Thanks for your reply :D

It's worked well for my wife, and means she can fly to/from the UK whenever she wants.

We are looking to return to the UK soon full-time though (which will finally let us do the UK passport application.)

Hi BKK,

so how long does you Wife wait before her return to keep the visa valid?

As a family, we generally spend the summer in the UK, so I don't think it's ever been a full year, let alone close to the 2 year limit.