Flight To London Via Columbo

phutoie2

I have been informed of a return flight to UK from Bangkok with Sri Lanka airways via Columbo. Anyone used this route airline??. I usually go via middle east, but this ticket is a very good price.

I have used Sri Lankan for travel to/from India. Decent airline and Bandaranaike Airport in Colombo is a pleasant enough place to make a connection.

I have been informed of a return flight to UK from Bangkok with Sri Lanka airways via Columbo. Anyone used this route airline??. I usually go via middle east, but this ticket is a very good price.

I returned home on this route in Feb 2000 - it meant an overnight in Columbo but they put us up in a hotel - miles away from the airport but it was OK. Very cheap flight - 8300THB if I remember correctly

It was also the Sri Lankan independence Day the day of the flight to london - the tail tigers were up to fun and games. we were half way down the runway when the plane screeched to a halt. We all had to disembark and all bags were unloaded and put on runway - we had to take our bags to be minutel searched - hours of delays but better safe than sorry

Nice brand new planes at the time - Emirates had just bought into them I think

Thanks all, of course I meant Colombo!, my spelling is as bad as my geography, had to check where exactly Sri Lanka is on my world atlas.

We have a Swiss neighbour who works over there and says the Tamil tigers are fairly active, I thinked they bombed a Sri Lanka airbase/runway from the air some time ago. That sort of thing never really bothers me though, having survived a long military career.

Just check on your connection time, some of them can be very long.

My wife had this problem, when flying with them, but she also was put-up in a hotel by the airline.

Emirates have been involved in their management for at least a decade, so that's OK, but I have to admit that price seems too good to be true ... what is it, after taxes & fuel-supplements etc. ?

This month Emirates pulled out of their partnership with Sri lankan. This was due to too many complaints being made by customers to Emirates about their code share flights with them. Hence Sri Lankan have their own frequent flier scheme now as opposed to being part of skywards.

Flew them in 1991 from Hong kong to Paris, the name of the airline was Air Lanka in those days. The best experience I have ever had on an airline. Great service and fantstic flight attendants. Don't know what they are like now. It was then the cheapest one flight I could get out of Hong kong.

I used them once when all other routes were fully booked and found the service to be reliable and remarkably good value for money.

The outward bound leg from LHR to Colombo arrived about 0900hrs local time and we were whisked away to a very pleasant hotel by the beach for our 14 hr layover. Actually, this proved to be a welcome diversion amounting to an all inclusive tour culminating in an excellent buffet dinner before returning by minibus for our onward leg to BKK at 0100 hrs ensuring an early morning arrival.

The only down side transpired to be on the return leg when 5 hrs were spent airside at Colombo waiting for the LHR connection. The lounge is small and offers little potential for diversions and everything was priced in USD, the only acceptable currency, which was exchanged at rapacious rates.

The inflight service was excellent and alcoholic drinks were served on demand in decent sized glasses rather than those piddling thimble sized plastic things other carriers are increasingly offering economy passengers.

I have flown to the UK twice in the last 12 months with Sri Lankan. No complaints, everything was fine. They are cheaper and more customer oriented than many of the Middle East airlines. I will definitely use them again.

Sometimes their planes are empty and you can really spread yourself out. This seems to be on the Colombo to Heathrow leg rather than the Colombo to Bangkok/HK or Beijing route.

You need to watch the stop over time when you book it. Different flights can lead to a short transit of under 3 hours or an 11 hour one.

Business class is only 77000 return including all fees, taxes, etc. Economy is around 36,000 all inclusive.

Excellent airline in my experience.

Colombo airport is tedious at best though, so make sure the stopover is either long enough to warrant a hotel being laid on, or short enough not to matter being in a crap airport.

Excellent airline in my experience.

Colombo airport is tedious at best though, so make sure the stopover is either long enough to warrant a hotel being laid on, or short enough not to matter being in a crap airport.

Mate,

Did the same route with my new wife and it was good. The only issue we had was with Sri Lankans not able to form civilised line at BKK. However a strong cough and a look sorted it. Don't go for the assistaed transfer stuff at the airport. It's $20 per person for a very nice lady to conduct you 500 mts and give you a free glass of orange juice. NOT NEEDED. It's a really small airport.

We got the hotel stop over on the way back from the UK and it was fine. Room good Breakfast good. PLUS.... time to wander round the city. Wife well chuffed with sarrong and me well pleased with shirts.

So... in summary... no bombs, nice people, decent hotel, food soso, but price very good.

cheers