Auto/motorbike Registration

Hey,,,,,,,,,can anyone tell me about the need to have a vehicle inspected prior to the payment of the annual tax?

I have a truck and bike,,,,,,,,,,,both books show i have paid the taxes for 3 years. This year will be number 4 for both.

I have been informed that a check/inspection of some sort must be done prior to paying the tax for this year on the truck and for the bike on the 6th year of renewal.

What is this inspection? Safety? Serial numbers? Smog check?

Is this accurate? The 4th year on a auto and the 6th year on a bike?

Any help?

Thanks

longball

Hi.

When you go to the vehicle licensing office to renew your road tax etc, vehicles over a certain age are given an inspection in much the same way as when you first register your vehicle. Dependent on the testing station this may be just a quick visual inspection or if the vehicle looks to be in a bad state can undergo a more rigorous test! Lights, brakes exhaust emission etc, similar to the British MOT Test. Not all the testing stations are equipped to do the complete test so it can be advisable to look around and find the test center that suits your needs! They are all "online" now, It has been known for a drop of "tea money" to smooth the process but of course I have no first hand knowledge of such things!!

The only thing that is unavoidable is for a tracing of your engine/chassis number to be taken.

Hope this clears some of the fog.

Goodluck. Nibor. P.S. applies to cars and motorcycles over 5 years old.

Edited by Nibor1945

Hey,,,,,,,,,can anyone tell me about the need to have a vehicle inspected prior to the payment of the annual tax?

I have a truck and bike,,,,,,,,,,,both books show i have paid the taxes for 3 years. This year will be number 4 for both.

I have been informed that a check/inspection of some sort must be done prior to paying the tax for this year on the truck and for the bike on the 6th year of renewal.

What is this inspection? Safety? Serial numbers? Smog check?

Is this accurate? The 4th year on a auto and the 6th year on a bike?

Any help?

Thanks

longball

If in Bangkok just drive to Moo Chit. Bring your book and prepare some papers. Drive through the test centre. Open the hood. Someone will come with tape and takes your chassis number, sticks it on a piece of paper and signs off. With that you go to the other office on the same compound. Prresent the papers and wait no longer than 3 minutes for your new tax card.