When Can A Company In Thailand Start Deducting Your Salary?

Hello, I know this is a stupid question and common sense is the only solution. But my friend is bugging me for written proof that a company can only start deducting her salary once she receive her non-b visa or once she got her WP. She's still under tourist visa but is already working with the company. The Non-B and WP are in still in process.

Am I right in telling her that the company can only deduct (taxes etc.) her salary once she receive her NON-B? Does anyone know where I can find a link regarding this, probably from Labor or somewhere? I tried checking the Labor website but couldn't find it. Maybe I miss it.

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you :o

Your friend is looking for a definitive statement that her employer should not be deducting tax from her pay because she is (1) working without a work permit and (2) working on a visa that is for tourism purposes only?

Both her and her employer are breaking several laws. She risks being deported if the Labour Department or Immigration become aware of her situation. Her employer risks being fined for employing a non-Thai citizen without a work permit. And she wants to make an issue out of this with her employer so that she can get her salary gross of tax deductions? My advice would be keep quiet and get legit as quickly as possible. At the end of the year, she will have to pay income tax on the lot anyway, so she would only be deferring payment, not avoiding it.

Hello, I know this is a stupid question and common sense is the only solution. But my friend is bugging me for written proof that a company can only start deducting her salary once she receive her non-b visa or once she got her WP. She's still under tourist visa but is already working with the company. The Non-B and WP are in still in process.

Am I right in telling her that the company can only deduct (taxes etc.) her salary once she receive her NON-B? Does anyone know where I can find a link regarding this, probably from Labor or somewhere? I tried checking the Labor website but couldn't find it. Maybe I miss it.

As your friend is working on a tourist visa, what she is doing is illegal..if the company is taking deductions.. what is she going to do about it...complain to the labour dept..???.

I would advise your friend not to make waves about this one...

As your friend is working on a tourist visa, what she is doing is illegal..if the company is taking deductions.. what is she going to do about it...complain to the labour dept..???.

I would advise your friend not to make waves about this one...

Yes I told her that. All she can do is ask her employer not to deduct her salary until NON-B is received. Her Non-B is still under process according to her and according to her employer. Yes I know that she can only complain if she is working legally. She knows this too. But she's on her way to being legal. The question is if the employer has the right to deduct her salary with her current situation.

Of course no deductions can be made - no salary can be paid - no work can be performed. But when you are here working illegally it might be a self defeating exercise.

Thank you Lopburi. That's all I need.

Edited by cashe

Does your friend have a tax number? If not, where is the money going?

The tax office doesn't care if you have a work permit, or not.

I doubt that the Labor Office would be upset as long as the papers were filed to get the WP. They understand how things work here.

That being said, being legal is way better than not.