Re-incarnation

dee123

Buddhism does not teach re-incarnation, it teaches re-becoming, re-incarnation is a Hindu concept.

Some people may not see the difference, including a lot of Buddhists, but in my understanding questions like did so and so come back as such and such is irrelevant in Buddhism.

You may want to ask you question in a Hindu or Shirley Maclain forum.

In buddhism, there is the concept of skillful and unskillful means. If one were wanting to teach the concept of "do good, receive good" to a lay person, it might be skillful means to use the conception of reincarnation to allow a certain degree of understanding. What exists exists, whether reincarnation exists depends on your perspective.

Buddhism does not teach re-incarnation, it teaches re-becoming, re-incarnation is a Hindu concept.

Some people may not see the difference, including a lot of Buddhists, but in my understanding questions like did so and so come back as such and such is irrelevant in Buddhism.

You may want to ask you question in a Hindu or Shirley Maclain forum.

While I agree with the Shirley Maclain comment, I disagree with the blanket difference between re-incarnation and re-becoming. I think a lot of the confusion comes from the fact that very few people speak/read/understand Pali. Depending on which Buddhist doctrine and which Hindu doctrine you are using, re-becoming and re-incarnation can appear to be describing the same thing.

re-becoming is often typically characterized as "continuity of individuality", where re-incarnation is often characterized as "continuity of existence". Since most buddhists (and people) don't recall past lives, I'd have to say there is more "re-incarnation" going on.