Opening Bank Accounts In Cambodia

HI THERE, HAS ANY ONE HERE TRIED OPENING A BANK ACCOUNT IN CAMBODIA WITH ONLY A TOURIST VISA?IF U HAD, WHAT BANK DID U USE? DO THEY HAVE VISA CARD SERVICES? FINALLY, COULD U GIVE A LIST SOME OF THE FOREIGN BANKS IN CAMBODIA? THANKS TO U ALL.

I don't know about having only a tourist visa but it only costs $5 more to get a business visa and you can definitely open a bank account with that.

However Banks vary in their requirements. I've had an account at the Foreign Trade Bank of Cambodia (the commercial branch of the National Bank, and quite reliable) for 12 years, as far as I recall it did not require anything more than an application form and my passport to open.

More recently I opened an acocunt at ANZ because it has ATMs. That was a huge hassle: they require in addition to your passport a photo ID AND a rental agreement or proof of ongoing employment in Cambodia. I'm a self-employed Consultant and stay in either a hotel or servioces apartyment without long term lease. Despite a stack of contracts showing internittent employment in Cambodia going back over a decade, and a 99 year lease on property, I didn't fit their defined list of documents and got the account only after insisting on seeing the manager.

The other bank with ATMs is Canadia but I have known people to get counterfeit bills when making withdrawals so I'd avoid it.

If you don't have current employment in country or a lease, your best bet is Foreign Trade. If you have one of those, ANZ.

thanks buddy, but i must say that i'll stay there for just a short time and then probably go to Thailand. i don't want to carry alot od cash on me so i'd rather put it in a bank and cash it as at when i need it. also what's the requirement to get a business visa on arrival? is it the same as the tourist visa? are there any Thai banks in Cambodia?so i can open the a/c there and can also have access in Thailand. thanks for your response.

No Thai banks there.

To get a business visa on arrival, just ask for it and indicate "business" under visa type and that's it. $5 more than a tourist visa and can be extended indefinitely.

Unless you expect to be back in Cambodia again on and off it is probably not worth the hassle of opening a bank account.

I don't know if out of country ATN cards work in the ATMs, maybe someone else does?

No Thai banks there.

I don't know if out of country ATN cards work in the ATMs, maybe someone else does?

There is a bank here in Cambodia with a Thai bank's logo & colours - the purple one. Not sure of the connection.

Out of country cards work fine in Cambodian ATMs - $2 extra fee, on top of the others charged by the card company etc.

HI THERE, HAS ANY ONE HERE TRIED OPENING A BANK ACCOUNT IN CAMBODIA WITH ONLY A TOURIST VISA?IF U HAD, WHAT BANK DID U USE? DO THEY HAVE VISA CARD SERVICES? FINALLY, COULD U GIVE A LIST SOME OF THE FOREIGN BANKS IN CAMBODIA? THANKS TO U ALL.

I opened an account with Cambodian Public Bank 2 years ago. I'm very happy. I did not ask an ATM card but I know they provide it. Fees when you receive transfer very reasonable. NO QUEUE.

A friend of mine is with Canadia bank since a long time. He's happy. This is the biggest bank there. They have good plan for saving accounts. Probably the best in the world for one year. QUEUE at the agency.

NO NEED BUSINESS VISA anywhere. Just a passport with tourist visa + an address + better to look clean and nice guy.

I opened an account with Cambodian Public Bank 2 years ago. I'm very happy. I did not ask an ATM card but I know they provide it. Fees when you receive transfer very reasonable. NO QUEUE.

A friend of mine is with Canadia bank since a long time. He's happy. This is the biggest bank there. They have good plan for saving accounts. Probably the best in the world for one year. QUEUE at the agency.

NO NEED BUSINESS VISA anywhere. Just a passport with tourist visa + an address + better to look clean and nice guy.

WRONG >>>> The central bank changed the rules last june 2007.

Now you need a business visa at least 6 months.

6 month lease contract signed by the village chief.

Some more new rules to come but I dont know when.