How To Attract The Right Type Of Tourist / Resident

Sir Burr

I did start a thread about this, but it got closed (fairly) I might add, because I called a Tax Clearance Certificate a Departure Tax. My mistake. Apparently, this Certificate was scrapped in the early 1990s, but, it did discourage long stayers with very little means.

Phuket has changed drastically over the years and has now become a family destination rather than just another one of Asia's flesh-pots. The TAT itself has declared that they want quality tourists, yet, over the last ten years I have noticed that the quality of residents and tourists alike has definitely gone the other way.

Too many balloon chasers, yobos and hooligans who are attracted here for two reasons. 1. It's relatively cheap 2. I'll leave it to your imagination.

From a gentle downhill slide, things have been getting worse since the "package tourists" have arrived on their charter flights.

Maybe the AOT could add punitive landing taxes to discourage these operators?

Visa prices could be increased and penalties for overstayers made more drastic?

Certainly, showing an onward ticket would help. I'm talking about the kind of riff-raff that would do visa runs with the 30 nday stamp for years. Of course, this has now been stopped and even getting multiple tourist visas is more difficult. This is a good start, but, does anyone have any ideas how this could be taken further, so that the right kind of people are attracted to stay on our island home?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did start a thread about this, but it got closed (fairly) I might add, because I called a Tax Clearance Certificate a Departure Tax. My mistake. Apparently, this Certificate was scrapped in the early 1990s, but, it did discourage long stayers with very little means.

Phuket has changed drastically over the years and has now become a family destination rather than just another one of Asia's flesh-pots. The TAT itself has declared that they want quality tourists, yet, over the last ten years I have noticed that the quality of residents and tourists alike has definitely gone the other way.

Too many balloon chasers, yobos and hooligans who are attracted here for two reasons. 1. It's relatively cheap 2. I'll leave it to your imagination.

From a gentle downhill slide, things have been getting worse since the "package tourists" have arrived on their charter flights.

Maybe the AOT could add punitive landing taxes to discourage these operators?

Visa prices could be increased and penalties for overstayers made more drastic?

Certainly, showing an onward ticket would help. I'm talking about the kind of riff-raff that would do visa runs with the 30 nday stamp for years. Of course, this has now been stopped and even getting multiple tourist visas is more difficult. This is a good start, but, does anyone have any ideas how this could be taken further, so that the right kind of people are attracted to stay on our island home?

I don't have the answer, but the last thread you started made for good reading and a few laughs.

sir bellend,

You could get your hi-so wife and family kill them all,then no problems for you.

or you could jump on the next plane and go to a country with no skin heads,tatoo brigade etc.any ideas were that will be.

sir bellend,

You could get your hi-so wife and family kill them all,then no problems for you.

or you could jump on the next plane and go to a country with no skin heads,tatoo brigade etc.any ideas were that will be.

Why would I want to kill my wife?

I was hoping that Phuket could be free of those unwholesome people that you mentioned; thus this thread.

I'm still in the dark about what a bellend is.

So, in your opinion, who is qualified to live in Phuket? Could you list the qualifications? Is money the only qualification?

Well I think this thread will get nuked too judging from the responses so far.  I think SB is trying to figure out how to get the low budget, ho chasing people away from Phuket.  Perhaps Samak and the TAT have hired him to search for ideas on how to get the big spending tourists to Phuket, while getting rid of the low income long term stay foreigners.  BTW SB, how much is TAT paying you :o?

SirBurk, I used to think that your comments were sensible and just, but how opinions change fast.

I bet if you was drowning in waters and fit person around was a tattooed person with a skinhead haircut you wouldn’t be so choosey who saves your life.

And why you put people in a different class to you really gets my goat up. Why would you speculate that I am a bar owner is beyond me. What's wrong with bar owners anyway?

My business is one of a kind to Phuket and has been televised. If I know your business I would make sure you never got my custom.

Times are changing in Phuket and snobbery is so old fashioned, change with the times or get left behind.post-59607-1209746034.gif

Ted.

Edited by Redted

So, in your opinion, who is qualified to live in Phuket? Could you list the qualifications? Is money the only qualification?

Great question.

I've been a couple times and was under the impression that Phuket is large enough that you could avoid the "riff-raff" if you wanted to. I guess not.

Thailand should follow Bhutans example. You want to visit you HAVE to spend a minimum of $ 200 USD per day of your stay and in reality it is going to cost you at least $400 a day. It is a wonderful place to visit, the people are happy cause they are not overrun by hordes of tourists, there is no strain on the infrastructure and the country still recieves the same amount of money as it would if it was letting sall the usual suspect cheap charlies in. fantastic place to visit.

LOS should make Phuket a special economic zone for non Thai passport holders. That is if you want to visit you have to spend a minimum of say $200 USD per day ( that is obviously just for the accomodation component) as per the Bhutan example. Couple that with Sri Lankas policy of a 100% tax on any purchase of property by foreigners and by upping the retirement visa requirements to say 10 000 000 baht deposited into an approved thai bank account for the period of the retirement term as per Malaysias Second Home Programme and you will definately see a marked improvement in the standard of tourists and resident expats. It could be the Monaco of the Far East with very little effort on the part of the Thais.

Edited by hagler

sir bellend,

Why would I want to kill my wife?

I was hoping that Phuket could be free of those unwholesome people that you mentioned; thus this thread.

I'm still in the dark about what a bellend is.

The only unwholesome people here, are yourself and hagler wha appears to support your ideas.

Poor sad people.

Pack ya bags and go to Bagdad, sure they would like your sentiments.

The only unwholesome people here, are yourself and hagler wha appears to support your ideas.

Poor sad people.

Pack ya bags and go to Bagdad, sure they would like your sentiments.

Really zpete? This is from a person who's local bar is "where the over 60s come to 'meet' the under 30s" nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Of course, your reaction is what I would expect of someone who maybe fits into the class of people I'm talking about.

Thailand should follow Bhutans example. You want to visit you HAVE to spend a minimum of $ 200 USD per day of your stay and in reality it is going to cost you at least $400 a day. It is a wonderful place to visit, the people are happy cause they are not overrun by hordes of tourists, there is no strain on the infrastructure and the country still recieves the same amount of money as it would if it was letting sall the usual suspect cheap charlies in. fantastic place to visit.

LOS should make Phuket a special economic zone for non Thai passport holders. That is if you want to visit you have to spend a minimum of say $200 USD per day ( that is obviously just for the accomodation component) as per the Bhutan example. Couple that with Sri Lankas policy of a 100% tax on any purchase of property by foreigners and by upping the retirement visa requirements to say 10 000 000 baht deposited into an approved thai bank account for the period of the retirement term as per Malaysias Second Home Programme and you will definately see a marked improvement in the standard of tourists and resident expats. It could be the Monaco of the Far East with very little effort on the part of the Thais.

This is an excellent idea. Not only would it encourage a better class of tourist, but, it would make income that could be used to upgrade the infrastructure. I like the idea of the 100% property tax, too. This would ensure that Thai people are not priced out of the market.

I discussed your post with my wife and she also agrees that it is a good idea. It certainly would solve the problem of all the louts resident on our island home.

Edited by Sir Burr

yeah, but Bhutan isn't overrun with hos.

This is very true. Maybe, if only the right type of person visited our island home, thus removing demand, the supply would disappear, too.

I must say, that my wife and I find the business of shopping at the supermarkets, or, large department stores a distressing experience nowadays. So many older men with their much younger wives (usually with tattoos) in evidence. You can see the local Thais raising their eyebrows as they pass. I really dislike being taken for the same type of people. Not so much for me, but, more for my wifes sake.

In a beach resort town, the combination of cheap food, hotels and so on AND a sophisticated public is impossible. For those who have a problem with that, may I suggest moving to Aruba, the French Riviera or Florida.

Edited by keestha

Well I know plenty of thai people with Tats - what's one to do with them Sir Burr? :o As for things getting better I think it will only get worse mate. :D

Paradise Lost would be most appropriate!

Edited by britmaveric

sir burrs fantasy of an island populated with the cream of western society is as far fetched as it is impossible.

his vision of cravat wearing ex ww2 fighter pilots and pinstriped old etonians roaring along the country lanes in lagondas and blower bentleys as they rush back to their million dollar mansions to be welcomed by jeeves in the vestibule and mrs. miggins in the pantry is the work of a seriously deranged mind.

thailand is a scruffy immoral country , and as such it mostly attracts scruffy immoral people.

unfortunately , in todays western societies , the people with enough money to come here are usually the ones who have done the least to deserve it , and that is why thailand is increasingly becoming a home for used car dealers , estate agents , plumbers , builders , third division footballers and those who profit from the generosity of western benefit systems.

those who posses both money and class would never degrade themselves by coming to live here and having to kow tow before sweaty and leering immigration officials , avaricious taxi drivers , put up with the potholed roads , power cuts , indolent staff , poor communication systems , innumerable scams and the lack of transparency in legal process.

a two week holiday at an expensive hotel will suffice for them.

they seek a modicum of respect , (something unattainable here for a foreigner ), in the eyes of the authorities , and thats why they relocate to the cote d'azure , the bahamas , florida and other true upmarket locations where they are welcomed at least as much as their dollar.

however expensive it becomes here , those with "fast" money will always have enough , or be able to get it.

trying to turn phuket upmarket (in terms of elegance and class) as opposed to just extortionately expensive is impossible.

a silk purse has never been fashioned out of a sows ear , and i dont expect that to change in the foreseeable future.

Edited by taxexile

I don't want to rain on your parade but has it escaped your attention that most people in organized crime are also wealthy? So your financial entry conditions may keep out the not so wealthy, honest people but welcome the wealthy, not so honest people.

Frankly I have no time for snobs, in my experience most of them are tight wads and not worth knowing anyway.

Edited by midasthailand

I don't want to rain on your parade but has it escaped your attention that most people in organized crime are also wealthy? So your financial entry conditions may keep out the not so wealthy, honest people but welcome the wealthy, not so honest people.

Frankly I have no time for snobs, in my experience most of them are tight wads and not worth knowing anyway.

Yes, I don't like snobs either.

Sir Burr (Bellend head) :D:D

Get your head out of your sand track and wake up!! :o

Phuket is what it is so is Pattaya and Bangkok.

Which snobby part of the UK did you escape from? :D

Wake up? I think I am more in the know than most when it comes to Phuket. I have been here many, many years now.

Where I come from in the UK really is irrelevent, but, if you must know I come from a beautiful village in Kent called Bucklers Hard. Maybe you have seen postcards of it? It's very famous.

I'm still at a loss to know what a bellend is.

This is very true. Maybe, if only the right type of person visited our island home, thus removing demand, the supply would disappear, too.

I must say, that my wife and I find the business of shopping at the supermarkets, or, large department stores a distressing experience nowadays. So many older men with their much younger wives (usually with tattoos) in evidence. You can see the local Thais raising their eyebrows as they pass. I really dislike being taken for the same type of people. Not so much for me, but, more for my wifes sake.

Which is the jist of the whole premise of your argument.

That you and your wive's sensibilities are outraged at the thought that maybe some stranger might think you the same as the tatooed 48 year old and his 18 year old pierced and tatted ho wife.

"I must say, that my wife and I find the business of shopping at the supermarkets, or, large department stores a distressing experience nowadays"

Agoraphobia?

Tats and skin head does not make a bad person even if many undesirables have this physical appearance.

As it is now they seem to pick up someone every week who is wanted in another country, and I bet that what they manage to catch is just the top of the iceberg.

What is really needed is for the Thai Immigration to get online with Interpol and other agencies and then stop these undesirables from entering the kingdom.

Sir Burr (Bellend head) :D:D

Get your head out of your sand track and wake up!! :o

Phuket is what it is so is Pattaya and Bangkok.

Which snobby part of the UK did you escape from? :D

Wake up? I think I am more in the know than most when it comes to Phuket. I have been here many, many years now.

Where I come from in the UK really is irrelevent, but, if you must know I come from a beautiful village in Kent called Bucklers Hard. Maybe you have seen postcards of it? It's very famous.

I'm still at a loss to know what a bellend is.

Urban Dictionary: bellendbellend 1 sound, penis, cock, bell, <deleted>, knob, dick helmet, wanke_r, <deleted>, idiot, jebend, end prick, gay, bell end fag, willy, sex choad ..............

I thought some one with your supposed status and intellect would have known, or at least Googled it.

Proves you are not as smart as you make out.

A simple English snob.

Edited by Zpete