Do You Believe That Thai People Are Generally Happier Than People In Your Home Country?

garro

Do you believe that Thai people are generally happier than people in your home country?  

221 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

peope are happier in thailand for sure,most live in rooms ,dont feel they have to keep up with the jones,all ride the same bikes,if you're not used to the nice things in life you dont miss them ,if you meet a thai who's been to a western country there attitude changes,they see the dirt and poverty more,and want more in there life than what they've got

I'm not sure that we're living in the same country. In the Thailand I live in 'keeping up with the Jonses' is the single most important thing in life. That's why everybody's in debt up to their eyeballs so they can afford the latest 4x4, mobile phone, laptop or whatever accessory or material possession (they perceive) makes them look good in the eyes of their friends/colleagues/peers/neighbours.

---------------

I would agree 100% from my experience. I would like to say other things but cannot as it would be expressing an etremely negative view of Thais people and Thailand which is against forum rules.

Plus what's the point anymore the same thing is said over and over.

If you have had a great experience with Thais then God bless you.

If you've been ripped to shreds, like me, well get over it and move on.

However it doesn't mean we have to like it, just learn from it.

If you're going to try to fight it (the "rip off"), I wish you all the luck in the world... :D

:o if you have an extremely negative view of Thailand and Thai people, and live in San Diego ....... oh well the rest should be obvious....

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it is an easy question to answer (regarding the TOPIC)

I think that Thai's in general are less likely to express 'negative emotion' publicly. ((Which may be why we see truly out of proportion negative reactions on occasion as stressors build and build without release until people explode in an inappropriate way)) So who knows if they are actually 'happier'.

I do however think that amongst older and rural Thais that there is less discontentment than there would be back in the West.

I also do not think that most Thais hold on to the day to day crap that those of us from the West do. Only when it gets personal do they seem to hold on like badgers!

I think that Thai's in general are less likely to express 'negative emotion' publicly. ((Which may be why we see truly out of proportion negative reactions on occasion as stressors build and build without release until people explode in an inappropriate way)) So who knows if they are actually 'happier'.

I do however think that amongst older and rural Thais that there is less discontentment than there would be back in the West.

I also do not think that most Thais hold on to the day to day crap that those of us from the West do. Only when it gets personal do they seem to hold on like badgers!

------------------------

And that thought process/attitude is reserved for Thais only?

Please don't start JD.

------------------------

Please don't start JD.

You have obviously been involved in an incident where someone loses face. Stand well back and wait for the explosion.

------------------------

Please don't start JD.

You have obviously been involved in an incident where someone loses face. Stand well back and wait for the explosion.

--------------------

Not Sure I get your drift. Can you be more specific... :o

Qwertz and Pepe- not succint and not true. Easy cynicism masquerading as wisdom.

I also have a Thai ex-wife, and have had many bad experiences with Thais over the years, even with some I've represented for free. But if I step back and assess the situation, then it's pretty clear to me I've had far more positive experiences with Thais.

Yes, of course, the wondrous joy one sees in Thais (generally speaking) as they live daily life can be cynically dismissed as blissfull ignorance. But I believe there's a lot more to it as I laid out in my previous post and you did not rebut.

It's sad when two people who obviously have had great lives (as discerned from their own posts) can only see the negative, and then loftily proclaim that to be the truth that the balance of us are not prepared to hear.

Again, easy cynicism that is a transparent plea to be accepted as wisdom.

easy delusion masquerading as wisdom, get over yourself

Okay, bingobongo and dumspero, maybe I was oversimplifying but that's how I like life. As for getting over myself, you presume too

much without knowing me.

However, just to set the record straight, I don't know about Pepe's experiences in Thailand but I for one have never had a bad trip

there and only very few elsewhere in the world.

So why am I cynical in my views?

I observe, and what I see only confirms my speculations on how the Thais live. It's Spain in the 60s, East Germany in the 70s, Russia

in the 80s and so on.

If you don't get my drift, imagine challenging the average Thai to a game of Trivial Pursuits or better still, proposing him or her for the

Millionaire Quiz.

And I'm not down on Thais either, I like them just as they are. I have a lot of laughs with them and they're the last ones I would

blame for their near total lack of general knowledge - if you get my drift - I'm trying to say this without giving wrong impressions, got

to keep it positive for the forum.

Edited by qwertz

Qwertz and Pepe- not succint and not true. Easy cynicism masquerading as wisdom.

I also have a Thai ex-wife, and have had many bad experiences with Thais over the years, even with some I've represented for free. But if I step back and assess the situation, then it's pretty clear to me I've had far more positive experiences with Thais.

Yes, of course, the wondrous joy one sees in Thais (generally speaking) as they live daily life can be cynically dismissed as blissfull ignorance. But I believe there's a lot more to it as I laid out in my previous post and you did not rebut.

It's sad when two people who obviously have had great lives (as discerned from their own posts) can only see the negative, and then loftily proclaim that to be the truth that the balance of us are not prepared to hear.

Okay, bingobongo and dumspero, maybe I was oversimplifying but that's how I like life. As for getting over myself, you presume too

much without knowing me.

However, just to set the record straight, I don't know about Pepe's experiences in Thailand but I for one have never had a bad trip

I observe, and what I see only confirms my speculations on how the Thais live. It's Spain in the 60s, East Germany in the 70s, Russia

in the 80s and so on.

If you don't get my drift, imagine challenging the average Thai to a game of Trivial Pursuits or better still, proposing him or her for the

Millionaire Quiz.

And I'm not down on Thais either, I like them just as they are. I have a lot of laughs with them and they're the last ones I would

blame for their near total lack of general knowledge - if you get my drift - I'm trying to say this without giving wrong impressions, got

qwertz, I think that general knowledge games are not popular in Thailand unless they involve prizes. Being good at general knowledge has little to do with intelligence - at least that is my theory. I have found that one reason general knowledge board games are not particularly popular among Thais is that they involve players losing face by not knowing the answers, and I suppose the argument is,' where is the fun in that?'

------------------------

Please don't start JD.

--------------------

If a foreigner particularly causes a Thai to lose face, depending on the situation, it rarely ends with a punch up or a warning. A group shooing, baseball bats or guns are far more likely.

------------------------

Please don't start JD.

--------------------

If a foreigner particularly causes a Thai to lose face, depending on the situation, it rarely ends with a punch up or a warning. A group shooing, baseball bats or guns are far more likely.

=========

Sorry, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

So These Thai people who are generally happier than people in my home country will beat you brains in or shoot you if they get embarrassed.

What a bunch of sick f@cks.

I'm not sure who's more far gone them or the expats that think they're

generally happier... :D

much without knowing me.

in the 80s and so on.

Millionaire Quiz.

qwertz, I think that general knowledge games are not popular in Thailand unless they involve prizes. Being good at general knowledge has little to do with intelligence - at least that is my theory. I have found that one reason general knowledge board games are not particularly popular among Thais is that they involve players losing face by not knowing the answers, and I suppose the argument is,' where is the fun in that?'

Quite right Garro, my cat is smart but the the only question he answers right is when I ask who was the father of Chinese

communism.

This however does put him ahead of many Thais.

Oh, and he catches his own food when I forget to buy his Whiskas.

Quite right Garro, my cat is smart but the the only question he answers right is when I ask who was the father of Chinese

communism.

This however does put him ahead of many Thais.

Oh, and he catches his own food when I forget to buy his Whiskas.

:o:D :D

Nice to have you back qwertz

Cheers

onzestan

i think ( just on average ) that people are a lot more happy in Thailand in general then North America or Euro-Land.. mostly because there is less of a "rat race" kinda thing here and people can find happiness in just relaxing, eating, cooking, and getting messed up. Not that this is a magic place where theres no worries..just in comparison with some other places i think this place is a lot more chiw..

i think ( just on average ) that people are a lot more happy in Thailand in general then North America or Euro-Land.. mostly because there is less of a "rat race" kinda thing here and people can find happiness in just relaxing, eating, cooking, and getting messed up. Not that this is a magic place where theres no worries..just in comparison with some other places i think this place is a lot more chiw..

$$$$$$$$$$$$

Please turn off your caps it means you're shouting.

I am happy here and usually very very happy when I'm in Thailand... :o

That's just bold font. Almost the same but not quite. Bold font just means you're emphasizing what you're saying. Imagine with a James Earl Jones, Barack Obama, or Barbara Walters type tone + accent.

:o

• 1 month later...

i have real problems to understand the problem (bold or capitals or not). i've been so happy and without any worries in 'kindergarden' and since 10 years i'm living in paradise (south thailand), feeling like in the good old days.....and i don't want to work on maggies farm no more (bob dylan) .........................

Happiness is an interesting topic. A good book on the topic is "science of happiness" by Klein.

The question in OP is a statistical comparison between countries. This has been done by plenty of diffrent studies. I think most studies find the answear to be no. Of course this doesnt say anything about individual people, certain groups of people etc.

For example:

http://www.le.ac.uk/users/aw57/world/sample.html

It is worth taking a moment at this point to explore the psychological research into SWB. In the literature a major distinction is drawn between brief emotional episodes, periods of joy or acute happiness, and an underlying state of happiness. This underlying state is conceptualised as a sense of satisfaction with one’s life, both in general and in specific areas of one’s life such as relationships, health and work. It is this underlying state of happiness, a measure of subjective well-being (SWB), that is the focus of most current research. A good example of this is the Satisfaction With Life Scale (Pavot & Diener, 1993), a currently popular measure of SWB.
Nation SWLS Score

DENMARK 273

SWITZERLAND 273

AUSTRIA 260

ICELAND 260

BAHAMAS 257

FINLAND 257

SWEDEN 257

BHUTAN 253

BRUNEI DARUSSALAM 253

CANADA 253

IRELAND 253

LUXEMBOURG 253

COSTA RICA 250

MALTA 250

NETHERLANDS 250

ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA 247

MALAYSIA 247

NEW ZEALAND 247

NORWAY 247

SEYCHELLES 247

ST KITTS AND NEVIS 247

UAE 247

USA 247

VANUATU 247

VENEZUELA 247

AUSTRALIA 243

BARBADOS 243

BELGIUM 243

DOMINICA 243

OMAN 243

SAUDI ARABIA 243

SURINAME 243

BAHRAIN 240

COLUMBIA 240

GERMANY 240

GUYANA 240

HONDURAS 240

KUWAIT 240

PANAMA 240

ST VINCENT AND THE 240

UNITED KINGDOM 237

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 233

GUATEMALA 233

JAMAICA 233

QATAR 233

SPAIN 233

ST LUCIA 233

BELIZE 230

CYPRUS 230

ITALY 230

MEXICO 230

SAMOA WESTERN 230

SINGAPORE 230

SOLOMON ISLANDS 230

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO 230

ARGENTINA 227

FIJI 223

ISRAEL 223

MONGOLIA 223

SAO TOME AND PERINI 223

EL SALVADOR 220

FRANCE 220

HONG KONG 220

INDONESIA 220

KYRGYZSTAN 220

MALDIVES 220

SLOVENIA 220

TAIWAN 220

TIMOR-LESTE 220

TONGA 220

CHILE 217

GRENADA 217

MAURITIUS 217

NAMIBIA 217

PARAGUAY 217

THAILAND 217

CZECH REPUBLIC 213

PHILIPPINES 213

TUNISIA 213

UZBEKISTAN 213

BRAZIL 210

CHINA 210

CUBA 210

GREECE 210

NICARAGUA 210

PAPUA NEW GUINEA 210

URUGUAY 210

GABON 207

GHANA 207

JAPAN 207

YEMEN 207

PORTUGAL 203

SRI LANKA 203

TAJIKISTAN 203

VIETNAM 203

IRAN 200

COMOROS 197

CROATIA 197

POLAND 197

CAPE VERDI 193

KAZAKHSTAN 193

MADAGASCAR 193

SOUTH KOREA 193

BANGLADESH 190

CONGO REPUBLIC 190

GAMBIA 190

HUNGARY 190

LIBYA 190

SOUTH AFRICA 190

CAMBODIA 187

ECUADOR 187

KENYA 187

LEBANON 187

MOROCCO 187

PERU 187

SENEGAL 187

BOLIVIA 183

HAITI 183

NEPAL 183

NIGERIA 183

TANZANIA 183

BENIN 180

BOTSWANA 180

GUINEA-BISSAU 180

INDIA 180

LAOS 180

MOZAMBIQUE 180

PALESTINE 180

SLOVAKIA 180

BURMA 177

MALI 177

MAURITANIA 177

TURKEY 177

ALGERIA 173

EQUATORIAL GUINEA 173

ROMANIA 173

BOSNIA & HERZE 170

CAMEROON 170

ESTONIA 170

GUINEA 170

JORDAN 170

SYRIA 170

SIERRA LEONE 167

AZERBAIJAN 163

CENTRAL AFRICAN RE 163

MACEDONIA 163

TOGO 163

ZAMBIA 163

ANGOLA 160

DJIBOUTI 160

EGYPT 160

BURKINA FASO 157

ETHIOPIA 157

LATVIA 157

LITHUANIA 157

UGANDA 157

ALBANIA 153

MALAWI 153

CHAD 150

IVORY COAST 150

NIGER 150

ERITREA 147

RWANDA 147

BULGARIA 143

LESOTHO 143

PAKISTAN 143

RUSSIA 143

SWAZILAND 140

GEORGIA 137

BELARUS 133

TURKMENISTAN 133

ARMENIA 123

SUDAN 120

UKRAINE 120

MOLDOVA 117

CONGO DEMOCRATIC 110

ZIMBABWE 110

BURUNDI 100

There were times in my life when I had next to nothing and wasn't particularly unhappy.

I guess it's easier to smile when you have little to lose and a smile costs nothing anyway.

The times when I've been well off were not always the happiest and prosperity is no shield against tragedy and loss.

I think too that the ability to be happy is eroded in direct proportion to the amount of responsibility you have to carry, as witness the

unsmiling officials, police, politicians and business people in Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...
A simple question really; although it is often confusing when we deal in generalites.

Are people in Thailand generally happier than people in your home country?

If they are, how do you account for this?

If they aren't, why not?

Yes they are.

Ignorance, as we all know, is bliss.