Fish Id

Hi :D

I am trying to confirm if a fish someone gave me is likely to be a hazard to my Koi I am told by the bosslady that its Thai name Is Pla Tessabahn (my phonetic spelling)

It is a scavenger and currently about 20 cm long I just have this nasty feeling that it could be a problem in the future

Any advice appreciated

TBWG :o

You say it's a scavenger, is it a type of catfish? If so does it have long 'whiskers' and a wide mouth?

This is usually the sign of a predatory catfish and that might make it a problem if you have smaller koi.

You say it's a scavenger, is it a type of catfish? If so does it have long 'whiskers' and a wide mouth?

This is usually the sign of a predatory catfish and that might make it a problem if you have smaller koi.

Hi Burman

Thanks for info in fact it has a round sucker type mouth on the underside and no whiskers, the guy that gave me the fish said they stuck to the side of his clay pot and he had to pull them off. :o

It has a fairly large head with 2 large delta shaped fins and a large dorsal fin with spines on the tips it is dark grey with yellow/beige stripes. crap description I know but can't seem to post a pic!

Any info appreciated

I have googled Thai freshwater fish scavengers but have so far had no luck.

Thanks again

TBWG :D

From the mouth description it will be a vegetarian algae eater of some description and should not bother your koi in the pond.

Ok, choose a fish. We might be able to name it or at least get closer to what it is.

sailfin-plecostomus.jpg

sae2.jpg

AlgaeLoach2.jpg

SAE_ID.jpg

Edited by burman

Are the stripes vertical on the fish or horizontal?

If you have a pic of it, try to put it up, should be able to ID it for you easily enough from that.

Edited by burman

From the mouth description it will be a vegetarian algae eater of some description and should not bother your koi in the pond.

Ok, choose a fish. We might be able to name it or at least get closer to what it is.

sailfin-plecostomus.jpg

sae2.jpg

AlgaeLoach2.jpg

SAE_ID.jpg

Hi Burman

Thanks for the input. It is almost identical to pic 1 except it has verticalish stripes and a smaller dorsal fin.

Anyway after a visit to the local aquarium shop I am advised that it is not aggresive but will eat fish eggs and small fry but then what fish won't!

So they have gone back into the pond! He also confirmed that it is Pla Tessabahn but I have still not been able to find anything on the net.

Sorry can't post a pic as I have a hooky copy of Windows XP and it is gradually reducing what I can do on computer. Leave for UK in a few days so will bring back my legit copy on my return :o

It could be a panaque, peckoltia or plecostomus (all very similar looking) and the size could vary from 3" fully grown to 2 foot.

I would guess it's a plecostomus because they are commonly sold and the panaques and peckotias are more expensive and harder to find in your run of the mill fish shop.

The only thing that makes me think it might not be a plec though is the colour patterning on it. Most plecs are a dull brown and without stripes.

Another clue would be the price, plecs would generally be very cheap and panaques that bit more expensive. Though the price difference may be so minimal depending on what species you have it's not conclusive.

Besides the point really, as they all behave the same way and eat the same kind of food and will not bother the Koi.

Couple of pics of a fairly common found species (in Thai shops) of a panaque for the OP.

clown-pleco-profile.jpg

clown_pleco1.jpg

Hi Burman

Thanks for info in fact it has a round sucker type mouth on the underside and no whiskers, the guy that gave me the fish said they stuck to the side of his clay pot and he had to pull them off. :o

It has a fairly large head with 2 large delta shaped fins and a large dorsal fin with spines on the tips it is dark grey with yellow/beige stripes. crap description I know but can't seem to post a pic!

Any info appreciated

I have googled Thai freshwater fish scavengers but have so far had no luck.

Thanks again

You would not find them on that search, the plecs, panaques ans peckoltia species are all S. American

Though a non native I read recently Plecostomus have become quite a pest in some Thai waterways.

I remember several years ago seeing a large plec get fished out the Chao Phaya River, and thinking "Hold on a minute, this doesn't look like the Amazon!' :o

• 2 weeks later...
Though a non native I read recently Plecostomus have become quite a pest in some Thai waterways.

I remember several years ago seeing a large plec get fished out the Chao Phaya River, and thinking "Hold on a minute, this doesn't look like the Amazon!' :D

Hi

Now back in UK so can now post pic. Although I have put the fish back in the pond so the damage is done if they are a problem!

But just curious to know proper name.

post-24662-1210873103_thumb.jpg

TBWG :o