Summary Of Mobile Computing Options

Siki

Hello:

I am looking for a summary of the various ways to enable myself to do mobile computing in Thailand.

I have searched the Thai Visa site, the Phuket Gazette site, and asked in various stores. All I seem to get are little snippets of information.

I am sure that some knowledgeable person (probably on Thai Visa) has summarized what is available in Thailand and the various pros and cons of each set-up. Does anyone have a link to such a summary?

Thanks in advance.

Aloha

Siki

I assume you mean mobile internet?

Since (unfortunately) at the moment there are not that many options, the summary is easily made!

Two network standards are in use in Thailand, GSM and CDMA.

GSM's two main operators are AIS and Dtac. Both currently offer the GPRS/EDGE data access method.

GPRS (48 kbps) is available probably over 90% or more of Thailand, on both operators. EDGE (236 kbps) is available in the cities and surroundings. No exact coverage maps are available for EDGE, so it'll be hit and miss when going upcountry.

CDMA is also offered by two companies, but their coverage area's do NOT overlap.

Hutch offers services in central Thailand (Bangkok and greater surroundings) and the Eastern Seaboard (Pattaya and all the way to the Cambodian border past Trat).

CAT is the other player, and offers their services everywhere where Hutch is not offering them.

CAT has large parts of their area's upgraded to EV-DO, which offers download speeds of between 300 and 800 kbps. When not in EV-DO coverage, speeds fall back to the 1X system, up to 140 kbps.

Hutch has only very limited area's upgraded to EV-DO, so you stand a big chance of only getting the 140 kbps speeds.

Although CAT and HUTCH use the exact same equipment, they have no roaming agreements for data service, so not very practical when traveling! If you don't have to be in Bangkok or on the Eastern Seaboard, CAT is your best bet.

If you travel all over Thailand, I would get a simcard from both Dtac and AIS (they are pretty cheap) and you'll have internet access virtually all over Thailand, of which a pretty big part is EDGE capable.

As with every mobile internet system, speeds can vary wildly, and seldom reach full potential.

Thanks for the response.

You are correct that I meant to say mobile Internet.

What hardware do I need to use the GSM system? Where do I buy it? Are there many choices?

I was shown an “air card” that appeared to a modem at Big C. The girl said that I would need a Blue Tooth phone to use this “air card”. She was not aware of any other way to do mobile Internet computing.

Aloha

Siki

2 ways to connect to the GSM GPRS network:

1) use your mobile phone. Most modern phones are GPRS/EDGE capable. You can connect your phone to your laptop using either bluetooth or by using a data-cable. You'll have to consult your phone's manual on how to do this, or find more info on the manufacturers website.

Advantage: no extra hardware needed.

Disadvantage: your phone's battery can get drained pretty quickly when using the internet, unless you simultaneously charge it. Some models can charge through the data-cable though.

Some phones are quite difficult to get going! Sometimes you'll need download extra software before you can use it as a modem.

2) use a dedicated GPRS/EDGE modem. There are two versions around, one is a USB version the other is what is often called an aircard.

The USB modem looks like this:

segm_520_small.jpg

The aircard looks like this:

b1.jpg

Advantage: they get powered from your laptop, no chargers, nothing needed. Easy to use, install software, plug in device, and you're ready to go. You can get dedicated sim cards for your internet access, without interfering with your regular mobile phone number.

As I mentioned before, I use a sim from AIS, and a back-up sim from Dtac. If AIS has a bad day, or if AIS doesn't have Edge coverage, I just pop in my Dtac sim and try that. Couldn't do that with my regular phone as I have to be reachable on my phone...

Disadvantage: extra (expensive) hardware to buy. The USB modem (solomon SEGM-520) will set you back a tad under 6000 Baht, the aircard (Sierra wireless 775 will cost over 10,000 Baht).

2 ways to connect to the GSM GPRS network:

1) use your mobile phone. Most modern phones are GPRS/EDGE capable. You can connect your phone to your laptop using either bluetooth or by using a data-cable. You'll have to consult your phone's manual on how to do this, or find more info on the manufacturers website.

Advantage: no extra hardware needed.

Disadvantage: your phone's battery can get drained pretty quickly when using the internet, unless you simultaneously charge it. Some models can charge through the data-cable though.

Some phones are quite difficult to get going! Sometimes you'll need download extra software before you can use it as a modem.

2) use a dedicated GPRS/EDGE modem. There are two versions around, one is a USB version the other is what is often called an aircard.

The USB modem looks like this:

segm_520_small.jpg

The aircard looks like this:

b1.jpg

Advantage: they get powered from your laptop, no chargers, nothing needed. Easy to use, install software, plug in device, and you're ready to go. You can get dedicated sim cards for your internet access, without interfering with your regular mobile phone number.

As I mentioned before, I use a sim from AIS, and a back-up sim from Dtac. If AIS has a bad day, or if AIS doesn't have Edge coverage, I just pop in my Dtac sim and try that. Couldn't do that with my regular phone as I have to be reachable on my phone...

Disadvantage: extra (expensive) hardware to buy. The USB modem (solomon SEGM-520) will set you back a tad under 6000 Baht, the aircard (Sierra wireless 775 will cost over 10,000 Baht).

Couldn't do that with my regular phone as I have to be reachable on my phone...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I get a call when I am online, I can take it. The GPRS EDGE shuts off while I am talking and resumes when I disconnect. My phone is a Nokia E51.

Monty's second post is very good, especially his point about having the extra sim card in the GPRS/EDGE unit. If AIS goes down, you can pop in a DTAC sim. Now, if you're using your phone as a modem, and you change the sim card in it to DTAC from AIS, all your friends who are trying to call your AIS phone number are getting bumped to your voicemail. And your connection doesn't get paused--handy if you start downloading a file and want to walk away and still have contact with the world; you can't do that if you have to leave your phone hooked up.

However, Monty's first post is awfully optimistic about the speeds that can be expected from EDGE. I've never seen it much more than ~80 kilobits/second, and that's when it's not defaulting back to GPRS since the system's overloaded.

The good thing about CDMA is that Hutch/CAT have a very small section of the market. Hence, when every Somchai and Nit get off of work/school and start burning up the phone networks, it is the last to slow down. I've seen major slow downs, even out in the sticks on GRPS......however YMMV.

AIS is totally and utterly appalling for EDGE whereas DTAC is absolutely superb. It keeps me connected 24/7 and gives me speeds of around 200 kbps.

There's no point buying a USB modem when you can buy a new phone that supports EDGE for less e.g. Nokia 3110 classic.

Edited by edwardandtubs

However, Monty's first post is awfully optimistic about the speeds that can be expected from EDGE. I've never seen it much more than ~80 kilobits/second, and that's when it's not defaulting back to GPRS since the system's overloaded.

Absolutely true, that's why I ended the post with saying mobile connections very seldom reach their potential full speed!

Practically I'm getting between 120 and 180 kbps on AIS EDGE, while when using Dtac I'm getting between 80 and 140 kbps!

So seeing the negative posts about the other posters re GPRS speeds on AIS, we can conclude is very location wise determined also!

I also am of the impression that some provider hardware works better with certain phones, while other hardware works better with a Sierra Wireless aircard (but not with a Huawei aircard) etc.

It's very hit and miss. My sierra wireless works perfect on AIS and not so good on Dtac, while my phone (hp PDA) has terrible problems keeping connected to AIS, and gives worse speeds!

And indeed when its very busy phone wise, ýou'll get taken away data slots, so speeds will drop. However, you'll never get bumped down to GPRS, although you'll get bumped down to GPRS-like speeds :o

If I get a call when I am online, I can take it. The GPRS EDGE shuts off while I am talking and resumes when I disconnect. My phone is a Nokia E51.

As I said before, I regularly switch between my (internet) AIS simcard and my (internet) Dtac sim card. If I remove my AIS (phone) simcard, which incidentily is also internet enabled since my phone is a PDA, from my phone, I would not be reachable!

And indeed, if you're doing a download, an incoming call might mess up your download as well, even when using a download manager. Not all servers support resume yet!

To give a cost wise indication of having 2 sim cards, on the AIS card I have a 100 hour/month package for 350 Baht, while on the Dtac simcard, I do not have a package, but pay the regular 1 Baht/minute. I don't use it all that often, only when AIS has some serious problems, or when I move around and I'm in an area where AIS does not have EDGE, but Dtac does have it.

A while ago I extended the validity of my Dtac simcard with 360 days for I think 60 Baht, so no hidden costs keeping the card alive, just the 1 Baht/minute.

The last couple of weeks, AIS has been really spotty. When it is really bad it is not usable. It's like that at the moment. I just changed SIM cards and here is what I am getting from Dtac;

Last Result:

Download Speed: 221 kbps (27.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 66 kbps (8.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

I will not be renewing the AIS package this month or if I do, it will be a much smaller package. Dtac has been much more consistent. It hasn't always been that way. Things could easily turn around but at the moment Dtac is much better.

I have a cheap Nokia 2626 that I use for a spare. I swap SIM cards between it and my Nokia E51 so I can take calls with either network.

I am learning a lot from all of these responses and I appreciate it.

Where do you buy an Internet enabled SIM card? I assume they are sold as a prepaid package.

Are you aware of other Asian countries such as Singapore and Indonesia having Internet enabled SIM cards that would operate the hardware mentioned by Gary?

Aloha

Siki

Yes, all simcards are internet enabled out of the box!

They can be bought at any phone shop, no paperwork required.

I just helped a friend out with his PDA, bought a Dtac simcard (49 Baht), bought a 300 Baht refill card, added it to the account.

Dialed customer service (1678, followed by 7 for English operator), asked the lovely lady for a 1 week unlimited GPRS package.

Received an SMS with the new, 249 Baht lower credit, followed 10 seconds later with an SMS stating that he has now 1 week of unlimited GPRS.

Took all of 2 minutes :o

Pretty much the same scenario with AIS (call center 1175), only AIS gives you more choices on packages. From 2 hours/month all the way up to unlimited...

With AIS you do have an internet sim, which gives you I think 20 hours of GPRS for free (per month). You do need to keep the account topped up to keep it from expiring (300 Baht/month, which you obviously can spend on calls and sms messages)...

AIS has a better refill system. You can do it with their automated system. Dial *138 and you get all the options. It is also cheaper than Dtac. I was getting 250 hours a month for 500 baht. With Dtac you must call and tell them which package you want. You get 100 hours for 350 baht plus VAT. I was told that's the largest prepaid package they have available.

Dialed customer service (1678, followed by 7 for English operator), asked the lovely lady for a 1 week unlimited GPRS package.

Received an SMS with the new, 249 Baht lower credit, followed 10 seconds later with an SMS stating that he has now 1 week of unlimited GPRS.

It actually takes off 266 baht including VAT and 3 baht for the call to customer service. AIS one month unlimitied is 999 baht + VAT so it works out about the same but DTAC is vastly superior.

It actually takes off 266 baht including VAT and 3 baht for the call to customer service. AIS one month unlimitied is 999 baht + VAT so it works out about the same but DTAC is vastly superior.

Indeed same price when going for unlimited.

If you only need 200-250 hours/month, AIS is half price!

I've been running some tests today, and indeed AIS seems a bit slower with download speeds around 100 kbps. Used to be 150, sometimes over 200 not long ago!

Rest seems normal, latency around 500 msec, which is pretty much normal for gprs.

Can't say I really noticed the slower speeds when surfing, but the slowdown is there.

Dtac running at a pretty stable 140 kbps, slightly higher latency (600-700 msec).

I was in at pantip yesterday so I though I would take a photo of the Bandluxe unit I have seen for sale there ( sunjitech , food floor south east corner , 9900baht )

HSDPA and WCDMA , but I was told it would not work with Hutch as you must have one of their units - I dont know the full story

tech specs are here http://www.bandrich.com/detail.aspx?id=1

Bandluxe_C100_0765.jpg

Bandluxe_C100_0766.jpg

Seems a pretty well priced and convenient device, especially the fact that it has a USB adapter, so people with older laptops or desktops can use it straight out of the box!

I don't think it's compatible at all with Hutch/CAT, since they use the CDMA EV-DO, which is not the same as WCDMA.

This device does all the connections based on the GSM network, so should work with AIS and Dtac out of the box with a standard simcard on their GPRS/EDGE network.

Once they upgrade to 3G, you're ready to roll, actually AIS has upgraded 30 cells in Chiang Mai already, and will go commercial any day now. (think it was planned for the 6th this month).

With AIS you do need a special "3G" simcard though. They are on the 7.2 mbps HSDPA system.

Dtac will follow pretty soon, starting out in Chonburi and Phuket province, also using the HSDPA system, but I recall them saying they will try for the 14 mbps HSDPA standard, so with the above device you might not reach full potential.

Seems a pretty well priced and convenient device, especially the fact that it has a USB adapter, so people with older laptops or desktops can use it straight out of the box!

I don't think it's compatible at all with Hutch/CAT, since they use the CDMA EV-DO, which is not the same as WCDMA.

This device does all the connections based on the GSM network, so should work with AIS and Dtac out of the box with a standard simcard on their GPRS/EDGE network.

Once they upgrade to 3G, you're ready to roll, actually AIS has upgraded 30 cells in Chiang Mai already, and will go commercial any day now. (think it was planned for the 6th this month).

With AIS you do need a special "3G" simcard though. They are on the 7.2 mbps HSDPA system.

Dtac will follow pretty soon, starting out in Chonburi and Phuket province, also using the HSDPA system, but I recall them saying they will try for the 14 mbps HSDPA standard, so with the above device you might not reach full potential.

I still don't understand why they are aiming for the 14 mb/s standard. Granted it's a bit of future-proofing, but considering your link to the outside world it's a bit of a waste. That and the fact that even CAT doesn't come close to the EV-DO standards makes me just know that there's no way that Dtac is going to even come close to offering even the 3.6 much less the 7.2 standards.

I still don't understand why they are aiming for the 14 mb/s standard. Granted it's a bit of future-proofing, but considering your link to the outside world it's a bit of a waste. That and the fact that even CAT doesn't come close to the EV-DO standards makes me just know that there's no way that Dtac is going to even come close to offering even the 3.6 much less the 7.2 standards.

I definitely think it's not a bad thing. Mobile data systems are notoriously over rated, practically you'd be lucky to get on average half of what the system is capable of, with the faster systems even much less.

For example on the EV-DO system CAT and Hutch uses, theoretically 2.4mbps should be possible, but one average we're seeing around the 1 mbps mark, and this is the local speed, not the international (which sits somewhere between 300 and 800 kbps).

So practically on the 7.2 mbps we'd be lucky to get 2-3 or so mbps, as indicated by tests/reviews done in the USA, where they are not hampered by slow international speed problems.

A 14 mbps system would give just that bit more margin!

Only thing is currently not that much devices are capable of anything faster the the 7.2 mbps.

Thanks to all for the great educational thread. I had just finished reading it when I then opened this week's Pattaya Mail newspaper and a Hutch ad insert fell out:

post-33251-1210483701_thumb.jpg

I forgot to add that Hutch's Package 3 -- B12,500 prepaid for one year unlimited internet usage -- includes a free PCMCIA card or USB device. The word "free" is in Thai, so some people might not notice that.

Thanks to all for the great educational thread. I had just finished reading it when I then opened this week's Pattaya Mail newspaper and a Hutch ad insert fell out:

They are trying to flog their old hardware!

Both devices are CDMA 1X, offering only speeds of up to 140 kbps, while in Pattaya they already have EV-DO (300-800 kbps)

Whilst waiting for my CSLoseinfo IPSTAR service to be fixed last week, I thought I would look at mobile as an option.

Bought a NOKIA 3110 (nice phone thanks for the suggestion EDWARDandTubs), got a download of Nokia PC Suite -- difficult internet cafe -- 'no download here' Why is it going to slow all these infants playing Ragarnok? PrePaid AIS SIM with 300 baht. And fake USB cable.

You can ignore this bit

********************************************************************************

Why prepaid?

Applying for postpaid the scene:-

At the desk after a 3 hour wait whilst the Dedicated Staff touch up their make up, phone boyfriends girlfriends, snack, and etc.

DS 'No must have original Affidavit from ALL eight Great Grandparents'

Me 'Aww Gee but I only had six to begin with, and one died tragically young aged 125'

(I know the details may be slightly wrong -- but I think I got the essential tone of it).

********************************************************************************

Welcome back.

Called *138 and after a dialogue designed to take as long as possible signed up for the 39 Baht 'unlimited' daily package, cost so far 39 + VAT and a phone call total about 43 Baht.

Loaded Nokia PC suite. Connected phone and it all sprang magically into life -- quite impressed.

Speed tests about 140Kbps down 60 Kbps up. Got mail OK a bit sluggish, so far so good, started a large download (I know that is not what it is for but I was testing) a bit more surfing walked away and came back about 5 Hours later phone was saying was out of credit! and everything had stopped.

Looked at the small print (this has the shortcut 138 numbers)

http://www2.mobilelife.co.th/internet/subi...php?nServID=208

Can't see any traffic charge (the per minute is just that .03 satang/minute for 24 hours does equal 39 Baht).

Anybody any explanation?

So now my elderly phone has been given to the Mother in Law and replaced by my shiny new 3110 in this months new colour -- purple since you ask.

Edited by ianc66

General note: In my experience with AIS, DTAC, and AIS, location is the only thing that matters when determining speed. If you are in a good location, you get the full 200Kbps with AIS/DTAC or 800Kbps with CAT. If in a bad location, it depends how bad but it can go down to near zero with any of them.

So don't call either of these providers useless - choose the one that's best for you depending on where you are.

General note: In my experience with AIS, DTAC, and AIS, location is the only thing that matters when determining speed. If you are in a good location, you get the full 200Kbps with AIS/DTAC or 800Kbps with CAT. If in a bad location, it depends how bad but it can go down to near zero with any of them.

So don't call either of these providers useless - choose the one that's best for you depending on where you are.

I agree with nikster. When I decided to go with GPRS EDGE, Dtac was crap and AIS was great. It appears that has now gone totally the other direction. Hopefully one or the other will have decent service and the best solution right now is to use both.

I have connected with both AIS & DTAC using an EDGE mobile but I cannot get 'international' web sites. I get Google Thailand for example, but not US & UK newspaper sites (I use IE7 & firefox - same). Any ideas - have I got to change a browser setting or is this it?