Ups Or Other International Courier Service

donbattles

yes.

Yes, but if you have an alternative, choose it.

I may be unfair here because the last reports I had were a few years back. But they were horror stories. UPS staff in Thailand were more or less holding incoming parcels to ransome, with very high, totally spurious "collection" charges.

This was evident in Chiang Mai and Bangkok and generated warning letters from victims in the Post and the Nation. Never refuted by the Thai franchisee, as far as I'm aware.

Agree about the shenanigans.

A few years ago in Chiang Mai I got a UPS parcel that had a mysterious COD addon. Since I needed what they had and the charge was only a hundred or so Bt I decided to pay. I presented a Bt 500 note and the guy did the "no change" whine .. even opened his wallet showed me it was empty.

I shrugged and handed the parcel back to him. Before I could close the door, a wallet from a different pocket seemed to have plenty of change. :o

In sending to the US, I had better luck with DHL.

Edited by klikster

TNT (Dutch company) seems to be the deal here in North Thailand.

I don't know about service in Chiang Rai, but I received a food package from the new Thai Visa food delivery service recently in Chiang Mai (this is not an advertisement). Full online tracking, fast efficient and reasonable. Check them out.

TNT (Dutch company) seems to be the deal here in North Thailand.

TNT - Trans National Transport is an Australian proprietry Company that started in Alice Springs as Transport Northern Territory by Peter Abels shortly after the Second World War. It was mainly to transport goods and mail to remote sheep and cattle stations in central Australia. He is also the former chairman of Ansett Airlines.

I used to use UPS for sending things from the US and Australia but stopped it because EVERYTIME I had to pay import duties and the spurious "handling fee" which was in addition to the already paid for "packaging and delivery fee paid overseas". This added considerable cost to my delivery.

Within Thailand I have sent and received parcels via TNT, including a Thai Visa food package similar to McGriffith without problems.

CB

They are good! And they were an Australian company until 1996 when they were bought out by a consortium of Canadian investors and the newly privatized Dutch Post Office (PTT Nederland KPN). Read the full Wiki history here.

Highly recommended delivery service.