Cheap Overseas Phone Calls

joka

I saw this in the newspaper today, haven't tried it though.

"Thookdee is an international phone card service with a special for calling rate of 1 Baht per minute (less than USD .03) throughout the call.* Thookdee is availability in over 100 countries around the world. Easier than you ever expected- Guaranteed!" Website is Thookdee.com

I saw this in the newspaper today, haven't tried it though.

"Thookdee is an international phone card service with a special for calling rate of 1 Baht per minute (less than USD .03) throughout the call.* Thookdee is availability in over 100 countries around the world. Easier than you ever expected- Guaranteed!" Website is Thookdee.com

My experience with this card is that it only works if you live in Bangkok. I tried it about 6 months ago and got a surprise on my local phone bill. I live in Pattaya which is 038 prefix and Bangkok is 02. My telephone bill showed charges for my call to the Thookdee number (02 834 3199) as a long distance call to Bangkok at 3 baht per min. This is in addition to the 2 baht per min for the international call using the Thookdee card.

I use it also but haven't had my 'phone bill yet but even at 5 baht per minute it's cheaper than the 001, 007, 008, 009 numbers.

Hi,

I recently tried DeeDial(http://www.deedial.com/web2/en/home.php). They charge 1.25 baht to US and 1.50 baht to UK. They have a list of provinces that you can get a local number to call to connect to your international number. I've used them for the past 2 months and no additional charges on my phone bills. Also their is no calling card to purchase at some shop. Everything is done online including any recharge of your minutes.

Edited by Thaigreg

• 2 months later...

I use Onesuite.com prepaid services. Too bad only voip service available in Thailand at the moment but so far they got local access numbers to 25 or so countries around the globe. Hopefull they will add Thailand and Philippines for phone card services in the future.

I use it also but haven't had my 'phone bill yet but even at 5 baht per minute it's cheaper than the 001, 007, 008, 009 numbers.

Hi,

I recently tried DeeDial(http://www.deedial.com/web2/en/home.php). They charge 1.25 baht to US and 1.50 baht to UK. They have a list of provinces that you can get a local number to call to connect to your international number. I've used them for the past 2 months and no additional charges on my phone bills. Also their is no calling card to purchase at some shop. Everything is done online including any recharge of your minutes.

I agree, DeeDial is a good service to use.

• 4 weeks later...
I use Onesuite.com prepaid services. Too bad only voip service available in Thailand at the moment but so far they got local access numbers to 25 or so countries around the globe. Hopefull they will add Thailand and Philippines for phone card services in the future.

Same here. Onesuite quality is good and their rates are very competitive.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have used DeeDial for months to call the UK with no problem. BUT. They have just hiked their prices to 7 Baht/min to 441 numbers, ie most UK landine numbers. So read the latest small print.

Why not just use SkypeOut? I started this last week and it's amazingly cheap.... 1.2 pence per minute to UK landlines from my computer, using my speakers and a microphone, plus a 3 or 4 pence initial connection fee. My first call using this lasted 18 or 19 minutes and cost me 27 pence (about 20 Baht - one baht a minute). I wish I'd done it earlier!

Very simple to do and in my (limited) experience crystal clear to UK landlines, with no noticeable delay. Of course computer to computer is free, but my parents are luddites and too old to change!

All I did was downloaded Skype and front loaded it with 10 pounds using my Paypal account (Visa and a couple of other options are also available). The only slight rip off is that because my Paypal is UK based i got billed 15% VAT, so 10 pounds of credit cost 11.50 - I will try my Thai credit card next time!

Hi,

I have used DeeDial for months to call the UK with no problem. BUT. They have just hiked their prices to 7 Baht/min to 441 numbers, ie most UK landine numbers. So read the latest small print.

Agree. I also have been caught out so can't recommend them for UK phone numbers. They were still quoting 1.5 baht to UK land line numbers on their website last week whilst on another page they vaguely showed a rate of 1.5 baht for 44 and 7 baht for numbers starting 441. I think they are misleading customers a complaint they have failed to respond to, not that I expected their management to answer anyway.

Skype worked well in the past but not any longer for me now as the line quality experienced is awful at times.

As an alternative http://thaitelephone.com/EN/index.php looks interesting.

I use voipcheap.com (or other sites that point back to betamax.com); very cheap. Skype is expensive and not very good; amount of times I have had problems with Skype; call drops, poor quality, chat syncing when it feels like it. I serious think there is a business opportunity for someone to come up with a Skype alternative. Put this way when there is only one player in the market there is always an opportunity for a competitor to take away some of their business.

If you are at home, use voip via the computer; when out and about use 007, 009, etc. Try do most of your calling at home (more comfortable too), and you will save loads of money. Alternative is to use voip on your laptop and head to an Internet shop and just do it that way (means you need to take a laptop with you; but they are getting very small these days :o.

Why not just use SkypeOut? I started this last week and it's amazingly cheap.... 1.2 pence per minute to UK landlines from my computer, using my speakers and a microphone, plus a 3 or 4 pence initial connection fee. My first call using this lasted 18 or 19 minutes and cost me 27 pence (about 20 Baht - one baht a minute). I wish I'd done it earlier!

Very simple to do and in my (limited) experience crystal clear to UK landlines, with no noticeable delay. Of course computer to computer is free, but my parents are luddites and too old to change!

All I did was downloaded Skype and front loaded it with 10 pounds using my Paypal account (Visa and a couple of other options are also available). The only slight rip off is that because my Paypal is UK based i got billed 15% VAT, so 10 pounds of credit cost 11.50 - I will try my Thai credit card next time!

Voipcheap gives me no problems and is cheaper than Skype.