It won't fit in the suitcases!

winner

I am moving to Bangkok at the end of August and as I try to fit everything in my aloted two suitcase, one carryon and a briefcase, I can't make it fit.  The suggestion here is to pack a box with a bunch of clothes and have a friend send it to me when I have an address there via UPS or US Mail.  I will have a 1 year non immigrant B visa.  Can they send it to me?  Will I have to pay for a box of used clothing at Thai customs?  I am going to get a mailboxes etc address in Bkk so can it be sent directly there?  Do I need to supply an inventory somehow?  As you can see I am confused!  Help!

You are probably right that the airline will be using the normal US 2 suitcase rule for a transpacific flight but you might check the ticket to make sure.  They still weigh everything here in Asia.

I would not ship anything UPS as these type services seem to pay customs duty on everything at a higher rate than normal to speed service.  Mail in packages worth less than $20 each and maybe there will be no duty.  I would just leave most things and buy new here.  Of course I arrived in India for 2 years with a briefcase so do pack a little light. :o

Roger

Korean Air?  I thought that I could check in two suitcases and carry on a small plus a briefcase.  Am I wrong?  Thanks

Hi Winner,

Sorry - I do not know the answer - I was expecting to learn something - which I have done from Lopburi's response.

But if you thought I was implying that your list was too much -on the Contrary - I had not heard of such limitations before.

I have always been able to take any number of

cases/bags - and pay excess baggage charges

(by wieght) - if neccassary.

Roger

You can buy most things that you would need in Thailand; don't bring too much otherwise you will have to pay very expensive excess baggage prices. Up to about 30Kg your ok, especially if you have a silver frequent flyer. Above 35 Kg and they will probably ask you to pay excess baggage.

The trick is to pack all the heavy small objects in your hang luggage so that they won't get weighed! Put all the light big things in your luggage. If you can't bring everything over that you want, save some for your next flight over. Get a bathroom scale to weigh your luggage.