The 10 Worst Football Managers

mrtoad

What about poor Malcom Crosby at Sunderland - only manager sacked after losing a pools panel result

:D:D

Joe Kinnear didn't do us much good.......ahhh good old David Platt. He brought in the 3 Italians (more like the 3 stooges) but what a disaster that was.

:D Very true. I reckon if you hadn't got promoted Chavy, then Caulderdud, sorry Cauldergod would have been mentioned. :D

BTW, when you next in BKK?

I'm looking at the weekend of the 24 & 25 this month.

Are we looking at a Bangkok & beer & footy night...but without the footy ?

Well it would be rude not to go out. :D

Indeed it be rude not to go out, in fact an outright crime :o

I just thought.........I remember in the dim & distant past when we were in the last throws of our premiership stay, we managed to pull off something of a coup by persuading big Ron Atkinson to come out of retirement to "save" us from relegation :D ........as they say " the rest is history "

As was Solskjaer in one of those games. What was the score again? B)

I lost count after 7........I even think we were winning at one point !! :D

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another all-time classic flop has to be 'The Doc' Tommy Docherty. After building himself a reasonable CV as manager at Chelsea in his first appointment, the 14 appointments that followed failed to see the same success. Although, it must be said, the 'Doc' was a man of his word. He announced on his arrival at one club (I forget which one, possibly Wolves) that he'd 'get this club out of this division' and he did, they were relegated that season!!!

The Doc lasted 6 days at QPR, I think that was the shortest managerial stint ever.

I saw him at a football evening once as guest speaker at Oxford's ground.

I could not understand a word he said, and nor could anyone else, we just all laughed at what seemed an appropriate moment :o

Must admit I never knew that Bobby Moore had been a manager at Oxford.

How long was he there??

1979-1981

Yes, he was manager at Oxford City F.C. (not Oxford United F.C.) with Harry Rednapp as his assistant.

Edited by thecatman

Another all-time classic flop has to be 'The Doc' Tommy Docherty. After building himself a reasonable CV as manager at Chelsea in his first appointment, the 14 appointments that followed failed to see the same success. Although, it must be said, the 'Doc' was a man of his word. He announced on his arrival at one club (I forget which one, possibly Wolves) that he'd 'get this club out of this division' and he did, they were relegated that season!!!

The Doc lasted 6 days at QPR, I think that was the shortest managerial stint ever.

I could not understand a word he said, and nor could anyone else, we just all laughed at what seemed an appropriate moment :o

Yeah, The Doc actually had 2 spells as boss at QPR, the first spell in 1968 lasted 29 days and the second spell in May 1979, when he was appointed, sacked almost immediately, then reinstated after just nine days. He did manage to last the whole 79/80 season though, needless to say, only to be axed a short time later.

However, I think the shortest spell ever is Leroy Rosenior at Torquay United in May 2007, he was reportedly sacked after 10 minutes!! The next closest to that is possibly Dave Bassett at Cystal Palace in 1984 (4 days).

Edited by thecatman

mrbj,as a Man City fanatic can you remember the memorable reign of Phil Neal who,previously, also took Bolton down to the bottom tier of the football league for the first time ever. :o

I always remember him as the "nodding dog" on the Graham Taylor England manager documentary !

Talking of Graham Taylor,I think he was even worse than McClaren as England manager.

Hows about these managers of the Home Countries to add to the list.....

Scotland: Ally McCleod

Wales: Bobby Gould

N.Ireland: Sammy McIlroy

Yeah, The Doc actually had 2 spells as boss at QPR, the first spell in 1968 lasted 29 days and the second spell in May 1979, when he was appointed, sacked almost immediately, then reinstated after just nine days. He did manage to last the whole 79/80 season though, needless to say, only to be axed a short time later.

However, I think the shortest spell ever is Leroy Rosenior at Torquay United in May 2007, he was reportedly sacked after 10 minutes!! The next closest to that is possibly Dave Bassett at Cystal Palace in 1984 (4 days).

The whole Torquay thing in 2006-2007 was a farce, 4 chairmen and 4 managers. Leroy was unfortunate in that he had been a popular manager there before, and the fans were quite happy to have him back. The reason he was sacked was becasue the Chairman (owner) sold the club on the same day and the new consortium wanted to bring in their own people. To ne it sunned up that season when that happened.

Didn't Steve Coppell get the managers job at Man City but resign the same day ?? I'm sure Mr BJ can shed some light on this ??

Steve Coppell took charge at Man City in 1996, he quit after only six games and 33 days at the helm. I'm not aware of him being at City any other time, but I may be wrong, Over to you Mr BJ

Edited by thecatman

Now if you had said Berti Vogts - Ally McLeod is far from the worst Scotland manager ever.

Have to agree with TB.

Now if you had said Berti Vogts - Ally McLeod is far from the worst Scotland manager ever.

Have to agree with TB.

Guys,you are quite right.I'd forgotten about the legendary Berti Vogts.......sorry,Ally :o

I was under the impression that Vogts remit went beyond the national team, and that he did very good work with the youth set up which may well help to carry the Scottish national team through the next decade or two.

Terrible results as manager though, but I felt a little sorry for him.

Didn't Steve Coppell get the managers job at Man City but resign the same day ?? I'm sure Mr BJ can shed some light on this ??

Steve Coppell took charge at Man City in 1996, he quit after only six games and 33 days at the helm. I'm not aware of him being at City any other time, but I may be wrong, Over to you Mr BJ

Your more than likely right "Catman". I seem to remember Coppell there for a very short reign. Icertainly didn't think it was as long as 33 days but as I said, the memory's not what it was !!

• 4 months later...

Howard Kendall was always drunk at Notts County. Then again I think I would hit the bottle if I were County Manager.

I was at a Grantham game quite a few years back when John Robertson then (and now) with Martin O'neill as manager, came out stumbling and drunk out of the Social club. He slipped and fell on the muddy pitch and couldn't get up. Good mate Martin came over and picked up his friend. ' He aint heavy he's my brother'.

Your more than likely right "Catman". I seem to remember Coppell there for a very short reign. Icertainly didn't think it was as long as 33 days but as I said, the memory's not what it was !!

Sorry guys, only just read this thread.

Steve lasted from the beginning of Oct 1996 to the beginning of November, so just about a month. Out of the 6 games in charge, we won 2, drawn 1 and lost 3. If i remember rightly, it was about the time he got "outed" for his extracurricular (sp) activities and he lost his nerve :o

mrbj,as a Man City fanatic can you remember the memorable reign of Phil Neal who,previously, also took Bolton down to the bottom tier of the football league for the first time ever. :D

I always remember him as the "nodding dog" on the Graham Taylor England manager documentary !

Talking of Graham Taylor,I think he was even worse than McClaren as England manager.

Yeah, he took over from the lengthy reign of Steve Coppell but couldn't beat him on the shortest length in charge. He left just after christmas, so that would be about 7 weeks. In charge for 10 games, won 2, drawn 1 and lost 7. :D He must have got a bike for christmas and told to get on it :o

Howard Kendall was always drunk at Notts County. Then again I think I would hit the bottle if I were County Manager.

I was at a Grantham game quite a few years back when John Robertson then (and now) with Martin O'neill as manager, came out stumbling and drunk out of the Social club. He slipped and fell on the muddy pitch and couldn't get up. Good mate Martin came over and picked up his friend. ' He aint heavy he's my brother'.

Ahhh, the Gingerbreads :o Always had a good drink there, I can certainly see where Robo's coming from. It was a bind to drag one's self from the social club there......abit like Ilkeston tbh.

A freind of mine worked at Sainsburys at Casle Marina, where Kendall lived, he was always telling the story of Notts cancelling his club credit card after running up a massive booze bill :D

in the modern era, bryan robson surely? can't understand why people kept on employing him, he's been appalling everywhere. steve mcmahon was a bit crap if i remember rightly as well.

of gobshites who didn't have the balls to try being a manager yet see fit to proclaim their expertise to everyone everywhere as though its gospel, step forward andy gray.