Bringing In An Urn Of Ashes.

Hi,

My mother passed away in Thailand and she was cremated in England.

Her wishes were to have her ashes spread in South Africa.

I need to bring them first into Thailand and then out to South africa.#

Does anyone know who I need to contact or what the laws are in this circumstance.

Any help appreciated.

Keelan

Sorry to hear that, you have a heart wrenching task ahead.

Having not been in such a situation, I do not know the ettiquette, so forgive me if I offend.

Is it acceptable to remove the ashes from the urn, and put in a plastic bag or such like? If so my choice would be to pack in the suitcase (checked luggage), and not declare her. I think you will have major problems trying to explain to the Thai authorities, who will automatically assume you are smuggling drugs of some sort.

Good luck, and I hope she rests peacefully.

when i was tour leading, i had some passengers carrying ashes with them. im not sure if they declared them when entering thailand, but they certainly werent questioned over it. i think they may have had some kind of certificate with them from the crematorium stating what they were, though, just in case.

The US requirement is below - doubt that other countries would be more restrictive. Basically the container must be of a material that can be checked without entry (x-ray - not metal or metal lined).

US Transportation Security Administration Info:

Traveling With Special Items: Crematory Containers and Deceased Remains

You have two options for carrying a crematory container with you on your flights:

1. Carry-on: Passengers are allowed to carry a crematory container as part of their carry-on luggage, but the container must pass through the X-ray machine. If the container is made of a material that generates an opaque image and prevents the security screener from clearly being able to see what is inside, then the container cannot be allowed through the security checkpoint.

2. Checked Baggage: Passengers may transport an urn or crematory container as checked baggage provided that it is successfully screened. TSA will screen the urn for explosive materials/devices using a variety of techniques; if cleared, it will be permitted as checked baggage only.

NOTE: Some airlines do not allow cremated remains as checked baggage so please check with your air carrier before attempting to transport a crematory container in checked baggage.

Hi,

Yes I have an English document stating what is in the plastic container.

So maybe I should tell customs what is going on, and I guess I will need a translation of the documents.

I will call the airline regarding their policy.

Any more help appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Keelan

Hi,

Yes I have an English document stating what is in the plastic container.

So maybe I should tell customs what is going on, and I guess I will need a translation of the documents.

I will call the airline regarding their policy.

Any more help appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Keelan

Hi keelan give your local branch of DHL couriers a ring,they will give you all the info on custom regs in thailand. I worked for them for 5 years. regards aazA.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

My mother passed away in Thailand and she was cremated in England.

Her wishes were to have her ashes spread in South Africa.

I need to bring them first into Thailand and then out to South africa.#

Does anyone know who I need to contact or what the laws are in this circumstance.

Any help appreciated.

Keelan

Hello Keelan,

I am in a very similar circumstance, in that I am coming to Ubud, Bali from the US in about six weeks and I will be bringing my mother's ashes, who had deep ties in the Balinese community and will be incorporated into the local ceremonies to honor her memory. She was a US citizen, as I am.

Everything is OK with the airlines so the only possible problem would be getting through Indonesian Customs. I have just made an inquiry with the Indonesian Consulate and the conversation was disturbing and unhelpful. The message given was that they will offer no assistance in this matter but neither would they tell me that it was strictly forbidden to bring in her ashes, and I will have to "deal with customs" when I arrive. Which leaves me in a very perilous grey-area that I don't like. To me, this clearly implies, "get ready to be shaken down at the border".

Keelan, have you made your trip yet? I would be very grateful if you would share your experience getting through customs with me. Or of course if anyone else has anything to add.

Thanks everyone

hi,

i brought my fathers ashes over from the uk in jan 08,brought them over in the plastic jar with paper work.(all in english)

went london-dubia-bangkok-udonthani. tryed to check them in in london but was told to carry them in hand luggage. did not even get stopped or questioned once.

the airline told me (on phone)to check the ashes in, but was told justto carry on.

hope this helps.