Ford Everest

Has anyone driven one, own one or have any comments about it. Whilst I don't think it's particularly pretty it looks good value for money. I am looking to get an SUV in the next 2-3 months and can't face joining the fortuner club ( theres about 10 in my small village already )so am looking at alternatives.. Any comments on the Ford or other suggestions. I should be looking to buy in 2-3 months but will wait if anyone knows of good alternatives being released later on.

regards

Sledge

Hi Sledge71

All Fords are not liked by Thai's and thats reflected in re-sale values. I am not suggesting buying a car and also thinking of resale, but I do not know your circumstances or how long you intend to keep it. The best thing is check to see if there are any road-reports, read(with help ?) Thai motoring papers and Testdrive one(obviously).

Good luck

Dave

Captiva?

A bit small for me.. Nice looking though. I want something land cruiser size ( sadly don't have the 5mill ) and the everest seems to fit that gap. I'll go for a test drive.

www.ford.co.th/servlet/ContentServer?cid=1178842413013&pagename=FTHEN%2FDFYPage%2FDefault&c=DFYPage

Captiva?

A bit small for me..

Ever thought of shedding a few pounds?

Seriously though, in what way does it need to be big? The Isuzu MU7 is supposed to be very roomy inside, although generally considered a flawed motor. But it might suit your needs.

Ford Everest is an old truck/SUV with a new engine, if I remember correctly. It's based on the previous generation Ford pickup truck, not the new one. Ford was too cheap to invest in designing a new body and suspension.

Can you wait for Mitrubishi G-wagon based on Triton? In two-thee months there will spy photos already and it should be in the showrooms later this year. That thing would eat Fortuner alive.

How do you know that??

And then maybe in a year or so Toyota will bring out a new Fortuner that will eat the G-wagon alive, and then a few years later a new G-wagon comes and that will eat the fortuner alive and so it goes on and on..

Also if the G-wagon is as ugly as the Triton it wont be a bestseller..

How do you know that??

And then maybe in a year or so Toyota will bring out a new Fortuner that will eat the G-wagon alive, and then a few years later a new G-wagon comes and that will eat the fortuner alive and so it goes on and on..

Also if the G-wagon is as ugly as the Triton it wont be a bestseller..

Thinking of buying a ute. Agree the standard triton low riser is ugly but the 4wd is ok. Looked at them all. Fortunas are more common than Pattaya whores, much like all the Toyotas. Sure an excellent car but talk about pop outs and sheep mentality buying them because everyone else does. Asked the g/f what she thought -Toyota - why - because Thai people like them. Now there is an endorsement.

Nissan - ok but nothing exciting there for a new model.

Isuzu - ok gold model etc but still a truck.

The Mitsu looks like a sedan body on a truck frame, interior is far more modern and has some nice extra options like the electric rear window and seats. If new G wagon based on triton and elvated may look ok, time will tell. Apparently some good safety specs too, not surprising as a more modern design rather than a change of tail and headlights. G/f doesn't like the Mitsu as it isn't square enough, just as well she has no say in the matter.

I dont own one, but they sure are a bumpy ride. Harsh would be a better word.

Fortuner is a much better ride (I dont own one, and never would!).

MU7 drives like a ship. A buddy of mine has one and i hate driving him home from the pub in it. Every dorner feels like you are gonna scrape the doorhandles on the road?

What are the alternatives? That i cant answer for less than too many millions of baht.

I've had an Everest for 3 years now. I purchased mine new. Here are some observations.

1 - 120,000km and no problems.

2 - I can't quite put a finger on it, but the size of this vehicle is great for any kind of driving (highway, off-road, or city). I think its a combination of wheelbase, axel position, and turning radius. The Everest will squeeze through whatever small lanes a taxi could. I don't think you could say the same for a Fortuner.

3 - I upgraded the shocks with Rancho adjustables. Made a huge difference in the ride quality, but I like a firm ride so I have them turned up. Nonetheless, this is a truck platform, so it rides firm.

4 - Top speed is 165 ... cruises well at about 130.

5 - What I don't like about the Everest I have is the engine. The NEW Everest has a much better motor (commonrail) and transmission (5 spd auto). I'm thinking of getting a new Everest just to have the better engine/trans combo.

6 - The new Everest has a nice interior ... except for the radio/aircon controls. It may be hard to put in an aftermarket radio andhave it look good.

There are also some really nice Land Rover Discovery's (Diesel 5 cyl) for sale (2nd hand) in the same price range.

I've had an Everest for 3 years now. I purchased mine new. Here are some observations.1 - 120,000km and no problems.

me too except a service problem with the transmission that took 1 year to be corrected.

2 - I can't quite put a finger on it, but the size of this vehicle is great for any kind of driving (highway, off-road, or city). I think its a combination of wheelbase, axel position, and turning radius. The Everest will squeeze through whatever small lanes a taxi could.

and it will carry 7 passangers comfortably i.e. no side step seats.

I don't think you could say the same for a Fortuner.3 - I upgraded the shocks with Rancho adjustables. Made a huge difference in the ride quality, but I like a firm ride so I have them turned up. Nonetheless, this is a truck platform, so it rides firm.

4 - Top speed is 165 ... cruises well at about 130. agreed

5 - What I don't like about the Everest I have is the engine. The NEW Everest has a much better motor (commonrail) and transmission (5 spd auto). I'm thinking of getting a new Everest just to have the better engine/trans combo.

I have 4 cylinder turbo diesel runns great but is not great on economy

6 - The new Everest has a nice interior ... except for the radio/aircon controls. It may be hard to put in an aftermarket radio andhave it look good.

have thought of buying a new one but the reality that the resale will always be a loss keeps me in this one.

My 2 objections to buying another ford a) resale :o service departments or the lack of quality factory trained mechanics.There are also some really nice Land Rover Discovery's (Diesel 5 cyl) for sale (2nd hand) in the same price range.

I've been interested in the Fortuner from the early days, but it's true- there is a plethra of them on the road now. There just isn't enough choice in vehicles here.

I reckon it's all personal preference. To me the Ford looks dull, like a committee of conservative executives in slacks sat around dictating the design to the designers.

The fortuner is better looking (just my personal tastes) but there are soooo many.

Thai journos took a piss out of Everest design on a few occasions.

Design is a matter of personal taste but by average Thai standards it's awful - too square, too boxy, absolutely out of sinc with the general trend of curved lines and rounded, sleek shapes.

Has anyone driven one, own one or have any comments about it. Whilst I don't think it's particularly pretty it looks good value for money. I am looking to get an SUV in the next 2-3 months and can't face joining the fortuner club ( theres about 10 in my small village already )so am looking at alternatives.. Any comments on the Ford or other suggestions. I should be looking to buy in 2-3 months but will wait if anyone knows of good alternatives being released later on.

regards

Sledge

i had an Everest from new for 87,000 carefree kilometres.

the only thing it needed was a battery in the keyring alarm thingy.

even the spare was unused when i sold the car after 3 good years

servicing was cheap, always a little over 1000 baht.

it was ultra reliable

we have a new diesel Fortuner now, the brakes are poor and the ride is harsher than the Ford

the engine is noticably more powerful though.

it has had one or two warranty problems early on in its life and these have been resolved now

Toyota service is excellent but man they are busy.

you have to book a service in Pattaya, its like going to the doctor in UK!

i would recommend the Ford with a year or two remaining on the warranty as a very good second hand buy option

Hi sledge71,

Just to throw in my own opinions...............I also own a Ford Everest Limited Edition, bought it new 2 years ago, not a hiccup.

Now throughout my 40 odd years of driving I have experienced many vehicles, from mini's to Range Rover, Discovery (3 times new), Z3, BM525, Jaguar, you can guess I liked my cars in the past. I was also in the RCT (Royal Corps of Transport) and drove everything from landrovers to 10 ton Thornycrofts.

I have lived in LOS since 2000 and usually had pick-up's Toyota Hilux etc. I wanted something more comfortable and I have quite a big family, so I was looking for a people type carrier on my last renewal. I originally bought the Everest purely because of the great deal they offered me at Pattaya Ford.............just over 1 mill with everything on board, even a dvd system which keeps the kids quiet on long journeys. You can comfortably get 8 good size adults in the Everest, or 11 Thai style................kids, a multitude. The third seat row comes out easily to give excellent luggage space and dropping down the 2nd row for carrying big items makes it cavernous.................an extremely versatile vehicle indeed.

This motor is really nice, smooth drive, bags of room, reliable, auto box extremely smooth, suspension excellent ( I now live in the sticks of Buriram), not too many similar type vehicles can take me from a standing red light and my current feelings, when I come to change (usually every 3-4 years...............I will buy another.

One of the replies mentioned about Ford servicing. This was a very valid point...............I have found two that I am personally extremely satisfied with............Pattaya and Surin..............others I have tried have been quite poor......so a point to ponder for your location. Buying new gives you 3 years free motoring and the most I have paid at a service is 1300 baht (oil change etc)...........Again buying new you are automatically enrolled in Ford's breakdown service.........never had to use it..........but it looks good on paper.......................Another point..............material in English Language like standard car manual etc.............never had one with Toyota and Isuzu, although I tried ever so hard to try get one..................with Ford it is standard, didn't even have to ask.

If you wish to know more you can pm me any time................hope this helps................... :o RayBan

Hi sledge71,

Just to throw in my own opinions...............I also own a Ford Everest Limited Edition, bought it new 2 years ago, not a hiccup.

Now throughout my 40 odd years of driving I have experienced many vehicles, from mini's to Range Rover, Discovery (3 times new), Z3, BM525, Jaguar, you can guess I liked my cars in the past. I was also in the RCT (Royal Corps of Transport) and drove everything from landrovers to 10 ton Thornycrofts.

I have lived in LOS since 2000 and usually had pick-up's Toyota Hilux etc. I wanted something more comfortable and I have quite a big family, so I was looking for a people type carrier on my last renewal. I originally bought the Everest purely because of the great deal they offered me at Pattaya Ford.............just over 1 mill with everything on board, even a dvd system which keeps the kids quiet on long journeys. You can comfortably get 8 good size adults in the Everest, or 11 Thai style................kids, a multitude. The third seat row comes out easily to give excellent luggage space and dropping down the 2nd row for carrying big items makes it cavernous.................an extremely versatile vehicle indeed.

This motor is really nice, smooth drive, bags of room, reliable, auto box extremely smooth, suspension excellent ( I now live in the sticks of Buriram), not too many similar type vehicles can take me from a standing red light and my current feelings, when I come to change (usually every 3-4 years...............I will buy another.

One of the replies mentioned about Ford servicing. This was a very valid point...............I have found two that I am personally extremely satisfied with............Pattaya and Surin..............others I have tried have been quite poor......so a point to ponder for your location. Buying new gives you 3 years free motoring and the most I have paid at a service is 1300 baht (oil change etc)...........Again buying new you are automatically enrolled in Ford's breakdown service.........never had to use it..........but it looks good on paper.......................Another point..............material in English Language like standard car manual etc.............never had one with Toyota and Isuzu, although I tried ever so hard to try get one..................with Ford it is standard, didn't even have to ask.

If you wish to know more you can pm me any time................hope this helps................... :D RayBan

Thanks all - that's good advice.. I will test drive one in the coming weeks. Still trying to find interior pictures of the navi version. I want to see how the touch screen console is fitted and how it affects the overall look of the interior. Does anyone know where to find them? Even Chiang Mai's dealers don't have pictures and can't see anything on the web. If you have one can you post pictures :o

I don't have one and have never driven one. I do know a German guy who is VERY fussy and critical about everything he owns. He has a 2008 Everest and thinks it is the best vehicle he has ever owned, except for a Mercedes, of course. He did say that where he lives, a Mercedes is not suitable for the roads.

I don't have one and have never driven one. I do know a German guy who is VERY fussy and critical about everything he owns. He has a 2008 Everest and thinks it is the best vehicle he has ever owned, except for a Mercedes, of course. He did say that where he lives, a Mercedes is not suitable for the roads.

the Everest is now based on the NEW pick up.

I would think unless you have a specific need (dimension or load height) the fortuner would be a better way to spend your money.

you might want to compare the operation and functions of their 4WD systems too.

the Fords have a reputation for being VERY quick too...I don'r know if this applies to the Everest.

Edited by wilko