Multi-year Stay, Self-financed Not Working, Under 50?

I have a question for seasoned falangs...

I am a male EU citizen, aged 43, and I would to live in Thailand for approx. 2 years to write computer software on my own. I have been to Thailand many times, love it and can save on costs by living there.

My unique case is not listed in the FAQ here:

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2649

About my situation:

* I don't need a company for my own programming work but could consider starting one if necessary.

* I will not marry a Thai woman to get a spouse visa.

* I DO want to import all my furniture and personal belongings to Thailand - this is critical.

* I have about 400,000 euros in savings.

I will not be "working" or "conducting business" in the traditional sense, just spending money.

Is there any experienced falang reading this who can spot the most appropriate course of action? I guess it involves starting my own company? Or best to wait until I'm 50??

The problem you will have is a work permit. You will probably have to be like other people that are working on the internet that work illegally without a work permit. You can get a multi entry O visa from Hull in the UK for the purpose of visiting friends. That would allow you to remain in Thailand for 15 months, having to make border runs every 90 days.

Thanks for quick reply. It does not quite meet my requirements because on such a visa I assume I can't bring in my furniture and personal belongs from Europe which I want in my apartment (unaccompanied baggage). Also I don't want to break visa laws.

It looks like I will have to found a local company and apply for an Investor Visa, right?

I believe it is something like 10 million baht or is it 20 million for an investment visa now?

I believe also in most cases you need to hire 4 Thai employees. Which causes problems for most people that want to setup companies for just themselves to work. That is why most people in these cases work without permits.

As for your furniture and belongings, you will probably wind up paying quite a bit in duties if you bring it into Thailand.

Edited by jstumbo

If you want to setup a company, then you could use a non-imm B visa to remain in the country. No need for the 10 million baht, but you would still have requirements for Thai employees. You might want to talk with Sunbelt or Siam Legal about what your options are. They have a banner ad at the top of the forum.

Edited by jstumbo

Found some info re investor visa here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/275.0.html

10 million, or 8 million for bonds (to be held 10 years!). Alas, a bit too steep for me. It did not say anything about 4 employees. That is not unusual and in some countries the locals even have to be directors.

It seems the authories have 90-day visa renewals on their mind.

Thanks, I will contact the legal firms you mentioned.

Right, Investment visa is different than setting up a company and getting a work permit. When you setup companies and get work permits, that is when you usually need the employees. Depending on where you are in Thailand, you may be able to get a work permit and setup a company without the employees, but you would need to make 90 day visa runs because you would not get a one year extension of stay based on your employment. Plus there are issues with salary requirements, profits shown by the company, all sorts of things come into play. Best to talk to the legal guys.

Edited by jstumbo

Apart from the furniture portion, it seems that a Non-Immigrant ED (study visa) may be the way to go. I am in the similar situation and it works for me. 12 months, renewable in Thailand every 90days and only one visa run a year. Just find a school to study at. Plenty around

Go to the Honorary Thai consulate in Hull, England for a multi entry O visa to visit Thailand, which is good for 1 year to 15 months, and can be renewed, regardless of age. That's the best solution for your visa...and most cost effective, particularly for an EU resident.

About bringing your belongings from home, I did the same when I moved here (30+ boxes shipped by ocean freight from the USA). Do some checking and find a company that specializes in shipping to Thailand. I think you'll find they'll be able to assist you in a cost-effective manner. If you need more guidance about that, you can PM me...

Go to the Honorary Thai consulate in Hull, England for a multi entry O visa to visit Thailand, which is good for 1 year to 15 months, and can be renewed, regardless of age.

You mean that the multi-entry O visa actually allows me to bring all my personal belongings in (no vehicles) without duty? I thought non-immigrant visas only allowed accompanied baggage (suitcases).

Could you confirm that you got your boxes through on that visa category?

In that case then it's almost ideal (no investment required) apart from the hassle of the quarterly border runs. Seems like a hidden tax or just old-fashioned bureaucracy!

Technically the Multi entry visas are not for living in Thailand. They are just for people that are making multiple trips to Thailand. People that are living here should be getting extension of stays from immigration to live here. But if you make your multiple entries back to back, then you are able to live in Thailand using a multiple entry visa.

You are NOT lawfully able to bring your effects into Thailand without being assessed for duties and taxes. The exceptions are diplomats, government officials, Thai's returning form abroad, and those who are working in Thailand on a B visa with a work permit and paying taxes.

I am sure you will find a Thai Shipping agent that can arrange the clearance of your household

effects for a fixed sum. :o

I did this some years back.

Clearing a 20ft container "cost" 1500 euros.

I considered that to be a good bargain. :D

Rover; the investment visa does no longer exist. (be it 10 M or 3 M Baht). They DO renew the old ones already granted.

As mentioned you can bring your stuff in on ANY visa really - but find an agent/freight forwarder to negotiate for you. Give them a DETAILED packing list(include age of especially electronics/bigger items) before you send the goods, so they can discuss with customs PRIOR arrival.

Cheers!

You don't need a WP as you are really just playing on your computer. Why on earth you want to bring furniture from europe is beyond me. For visas you'll need to get a non imm and then figure out what to do 15 months later, be it another non imm or just tourist visas.

If you want to setup a company...you might want to talk with Sunbelt...about what your options are. They have a banner ad at the top of the forum.

Bah - They wanted to charge me almost THB 90,000 just to prepare the "audit" paperwork for my dormant company's financial statements to be filed to get my company back in good standing. Exclusive of any filing fees, penalties, or whatever. It never had revenue and they confirmed the paperwork would be all zeros...THB 90,0000...

IMHO, and as a fellow consultant previously in a similar situation (hence the dormant company), get legal references from someone on the ground already running a successful venture - not this board.

I also agree with the previous poster who wondered why you would want to bring your furniture to Thailand when most places will rent fully furnished, anyway. IKEA style furnishings are the norm. Put everything in storage somewhere cheap in the UK.

But if you insist on bringing the kitchen sink over, I had success with Freight Links Express (Thailand)Co.,Ltd. [http://www.fleth.co.th/] a few years ago. Not sure if you will get the same folks, but anything can be worked out in LOS :o

Another alternative is to get a lass to bring it over as her own belongings. Much easier for a Thai to pretty much just sign on the dotted line at Customs than you (been there and done that, too). Repeating here; anything can be worked out in LOS :D

Good Luck!

It sounds as if compromising on the idea of bringing ALL your belongings to Thailand might make the whole plan a lot easier.

But if you are willing to pay for it, go ahead. That 1500 Euros quote does sound like a good deal.

Another alternative is to get a lass to bring it over as her own belongings. Much easier for a Thai to pretty much just sign on the dotted line at Customs than you
Excellent idea! Maybe that's the answer. Edited by mrdome

Maybe you should consider obtaining an ED visa Rover? Allows you to learn the Thai language, and the visa lasts up to 3 years in duration, with 90 day update stamps req'd. Check out the website of the Walen Thai school (or that of many other Thai schools)... their fee is reasonable, they help arrange the visa for you, and the study schedule is not too demanding & time-consuming, so it will allow you time with continuing your software business.

Good luck! :o

I am sure you will find a Thai Shipping agent that can arrange the clearance of your household

effects for a fixed sum. :o

I did this some years back.

Clearing a 20ft container "cost" 1500 euros.

I considered that to be a good bargain. :D

A year ago plus I brought a 40ft Container of Personnal effects in from Dubai apart from shipping I paid $1000 duty (tea money) to customs all electrical goods were used and I had a detailed packing list used Asian Tigers very good.

At the time I had a 1 year multiple Entry & Exit investor visa through Sunbelt & Thai Embassy Dubai.

That visa has since run out and as I work in the Oil Industry around the world I just use one of my 2 UK passports every other month and come in and out on toursit status.

Can I renew an old investor Visa and will it have to be renewed from the issuing office or can immigration in Phuket renew??

Any advice please

Thanks for quick reply. It does not quite meet my requirements because on such a visa I assume I can't bring in my furniture and personal belongs from Europe which I want in my apartment (unaccompanied baggage). Also I don't want to break visa laws.

It looks like I will have to found a local company and apply for an Investor Visa, right?

Dont even think about bringing furniture from home,we have just moved to thailand and only brought 7 boxes when they arrived it took us 5 hours to get them we had to pay 2,000 baht to get them the amount was redused drastically after the intervention of a thai friend.All our belongings were personal effects,which does not mean the same here as it does at home .

Easy mate, just get the longest tourist visa that your home embassy will give you, then extend it by a further month at an immigration office in Thailand. after that you can ask for another one at the Thai embassy in Laos. When they don't want to give u one anymore u just do a border run for a 30 day stamps whilst you try elsewhere. If all else fails you can fly home and get another 3 month visa when you have used up your limit of 30 day stamps.

You should be able to get two 3 month visas no problem. If you add 2 sessions of 90 dayborder runs to that you've already got yourself the first year. You'll probbaly find that it's not as difficult as it seems, if you have money your welcome to be a tourist, all they want you to do is apply for tourist visas properly rather than just live on 30 day ones.

Sometimes vietnianne kicks up a fuss about u having had too many but anywhere out of Southeast Asia it shouldn't be a problem.